Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mantua afternoon 1/2 and a lost auger
My wife and I got to Mantua east parking lot around 1:15pm. As I was packing the sled I moved my auger off to put the tent on... and forgot to put it back in the sled. By the time I realized it and got back to the truck my kdrill had been taken  Sad .

While I was walking back to the truck my wife started catching fish, she had 3 on the ice by the time I got to her. We used the pre drilled holes in 16’ of water and caught bluegill and perch. The bite really turned on around 4pm and we set up the tent. We were catching them in rapid succession until we decided to leave at 5. 

The fast fishing almost made up for the lapse in judgment resulting in my lost auger. 

[Image: 186544-C1-9-D77-4564-BE45-189-F2586-EBA2.jpg]
I'm sorry to hear that.

I hope that the dirtbag that took off with it gets their just desserts.
Live to hunt----- Hunt to live.
(01-03-2021, 05:24 AM)a_bow_nut Wrote: I'm sorry to hear that.

I hope that the dirtbag that took off with it gets their just desserts.

Thanks, I hope so as well.
(01-03-2021, 04:28 AM)JArner Wrote: My wife and I got to Mantua east parking lot around 1:15pm. As I was packing the sled I moved my auger off to put the tent on... and forgot to put it back in the sled. By the time I realized it and got back to the truck my kdrill had been taken  Sad .

While I was walking back to the truck my wife started catching fish, she had 3 on the ice by the time I got to her. We used the pre drilled holes in 16’ of water and caught bluegill and perch. The bite really turned on around 4pm and we set up the tent. We were catching them in rapid succession until we decided to leave at 5. 

The fast fishing almost made up for the lapse in judgment resulting in my lost auger. 

I have left various things before on accident. A hand auger once at Walsburg on Deer creek. Also a fish finder and nice spinning rod on a different outing on Deer creek as well. Plus, I put my rods on top of my car while loading up and drove off. Who knows where those fell off. That stinks that someone would take that. Nice haul of fish though.
Gabe
So sorry to hear that. Are you the same one who reported, on FaceBook, losing an auger, at Mantua, or were two augers lost up there?
(01-03-2021, 04:28 AM)JArner Wrote: My wife and I got to Mantua east parking lot around 1:15pm. As I was packing the sled I moved my auger off to put the tent on... and forgot to put it back in the sled. By the time I realized it and got back to the truck my kdrill had been taken  Sad .

sorry for your loss. I would have been too sick and frustrated to fish. Glad you were able to catch a few. RJ

That sucks

I have left a couple of things on occasion. None worth much at all. Nothing like a K-drill.

Due to this and finding things that I have been unable to return to the rightful owners I have started putting my name and phone # on almost everything we use out doors.
My hope in this is that whatever the item it is found by an honest soul and they give us a call.
The problem with this however is that it is rare for us to answer unknown numbers any more.

I think there are lots of honest people out there that will make the effort to return something given the chance. 
If they are not I hope every they see the number and name then have a guilty conscience every time they use it.

Hope the K-drill they picked up and then not looking for the owner hits a pile of gravel imbedded in the ice the next hole it drills.
I think I would have titles this post, ": Mantua afternoon 1/2 and a stolen auger".
Bummer for sure, Sad thing is it happens pretty often at Mantua, not a year goes by that someone on here reports something being stolen while parked at Mantua. Glad to hear you and the wife caught some fish to ease you pain. 

On a positive note, I had the opposite experience at Willard. I lost my wallet, a kid found it after I left. He walked around to everyone still out on the ice until another member on BFT, that knew me, he got it from the young man and returned it to me. Thanks Kent D!!!
That’s a hard one to swallow. Sorry. I have a spare if you need to borrow one for a little while.
(01-03-2021, 06:47 PM)kentofnsl Wrote: So sorry to hear that.  Are you the same one who reported, on FaceBook, losing an auger, at Mantua, or were two augers lost up there?

I’m the same one that reported it on Facebook. I haven’t heard of anyone else missing one.
Nice job on the catching, sucks about your k-drill.  It was really nice and sure cut through the ice well.
Thanks everyone for the responses. I have my backup hand auger conversion from last season to get me through.

I was pretty disheartened, but luckily my wife was there and catching fish when I returned. Helped me snap out of it.

Went to Cabelas today and picked up a light for the tent, and a better chair for her.
Well, you are lucky as heck to get a wife that will join you outdoors, but who ever stole (and they did steal) your auger is a scumbag.
If I'd seen an auger/drill next to a car/ truck, I would have left a note, picked it up, and gone looking for you out on the ice, or waited there until you came back.

I couldn't even be friends with a guy like that. That would be something I couldn't budget for or afford to replace for months.
(01-03-2021, 09:33 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote: I think I would have titles this post, ": Mantua afternoon 1/2 and a stolen auger".
Bummer for sure, Sad thing is it happens pretty often at Mantua, not a year goes by that someone on here reports something being stolen while parked at Mantua. Glad to hear you and the wife caught some fish to ease you pain. 

On a positive note, I had the opposite experience at Willard. I lost my wallet, a kid found it after I left. He walked around to everyone still out on the ice until another member on BFT, that knew me, he got it from the young man and returned it to me. Thanks Kent D!!!

Glad to hear positive experiences like that out on the ice. For the most part I feel like there's a good group of people enjoying the outdoors.

(01-04-2021, 04:43 PM)Springbuck1 Wrote: Well, you are lucky as heck to get a wife that will join you outdoors, but who ever stole (and they did steal) your auger is a scumbag.
If I'd seen an auger/drill next to a car/ truck, I would have left a note, picked it up, and gone looking for you out on the ice, or waited there until you came back. 

I couldn't even be friends with a guy like that. That would be something I couldn't budget for or afford to replace for months.

Thanks Springbuck, I am lucky she loves to fish. This year she has been out with me more than once ( usually her limit of ice fishing per season ), but I picked up a used tent, a new heater, and some decent boots for her. This has made all the difference.

Yes the auger is stolen, I had hopes of using kinder words would prompt some conscience of the offenders. No such luck. I won't be replacing it any time soon, unless I come across someone selling something used.