Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fishable ice at Deer Creek?
I was just wondering if anyone has been past or is going to be going to Deer Creek and could give an update on the ice? Any info would be appreciated.
(01-16-2021, 03:22 PM)Lipnrip Wrote: I was just wondering if anyone has been past or is going to be going to Deer Creek and could give an update on the ice? Any info would be appreciated.

First of all, most of the lake is iced over, but I haven’t checked the thickness. I have seen a few parties out on the ice at Charleston the past couple days, but to be honest, I wouldn’t try. The ice looks sketchy to me.
I had to call in sick so I could go to Lake Powell!
(01-16-2021, 03:22 PM)Lipnrip Wrote: I was just wondering if anyone has been past or is going to be going to Deer Creek and could give an update on the ice? Any info would be appreciated.
The Charleston end is sketchy at best, even when it is "safe". The ice freezes very differently than all other lakes that I have ice fished on. DNR officers watch people fall through on the Charleston often. As always be cautious. Take safety gear and check the ice as you walk out. It might be different this time depending on the water flow coming in. I avoid the Charleston end myself. I planning on trying Thursday morning pre-dawn. If I am successful on accessing ice I will provide a report.

Gabe
Several groups were on the ice fishing at the island, ice shelters and all. Didn't see anyone in the Wallsburg arm. There was a boat out from the main launch ramp. Ice depth unknown.
(01-17-2021, 05:10 AM)klam Wrote:
Several groups were on the ice fishing at the island, ice shelters and all. Didn't see anyone in the Wallsburg arm. There was a boat out from the main launch ramp. Ice depth unknown.

Thanks for the report.

Could you tell if there was very much open water around the main ramp area? 

I'm looking to squeeze in one more float tube trip. Smile
I drove past yesterday on my way home from Strawberry. I saw people out playing on the ice on the Charleston end. Didn't see any anglers, but this was in the afternoon. There is actually a lot of open water on the lake, especially as you head "downstream." Only the tip of the Wallsburg arm is frozen. Sorry, I don't know about the area around the ramp.
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.

(01-17-2021, 08:09 PM)catchinon Wrote: I drove past yesterday on my way home from Strawberry. I saw people out playing on the ice on the Charleston end. Didn't see any anglers, but this was in the afternoon. There is actually a lot of open water on the lake, especially as you head "downstream." Only the tip of the Wallsburg arm is frozen. Sorry, I don't know about the area around the ramp.

Thanks for the update.  I'd heard that there was a boat on the water on Saturday.
The open water at the main ramp was open all the way across and about equal distance up and down lake. Also a nice patch of open water in rainbow bay where the road ends to the north. This was on Saturday. Not sure about skim ice if you head out early. With the wind forecast tonight and tomorrow things could change up a lot.
(01-18-2021, 07:56 PM)klam Wrote: The open water at the main ramp was open all the way across and about equal distance up and down lake.  Also a nice patch of open water in rainbow bay where the road ends to the north.  This was on Saturday.  Not sure about skim ice if you head out early. With the wind forecast tonight and tomorrow things could change up a lot.

Thanks.  You never know what can happen if the wind kicks up. 

I might try to make it latter this week.