Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Southeast idaho ice fishing
If any of ya are looking to go ice fishing in idaho don't! I have been out over a dozen times and been skunked everytime. I've thrown everything but the kitchen sink at the fish and nothing. I have spoken to well over a hundred folks who are experiencing the same thing and the consensus is all of southeast idaho waters are fished out. I spent 6 hours today and not even a bite. Weston, deep creek, devil's creek, crowthers and Daniels have been hit hard by utahns and local guys. I honestly don't think idfg really stocked at all the past year and this could be the problem.
(01-17-2021, 10:38 PM)seanc1974 Wrote: If any of ya are looking to go ice fishing in idaho don't! I have been out over a dozen times and been skunked everytime. I've thrown everything but the kitchen sink at the fish and nothing. I have spoken to well over a hundred folks who are experiencing the same thing and the consensus is all of southeast idaho waters are fished out. I spent 6 hours today and not even a bite. Weston, deep creek, devil's creek, crowthers and Daniels have been hit hard by utahns and local guys. I honestly don't think idfg really stocked at all the past year and this could be the problem.
We are seeing the same problem here in Utah, the DWR only stocks so many fish each year and once those fish are caught, they are no longer there for others to catch and enjoy. The virus last year caused so many more people to go out fishing that they removed more than normal from the lakes, as a result, we too are finding way fewer trout to catch this Winter. Sorry to hear that trend has extended into Idaho as well. It's strange that Daniels is having that problem though, considering it has a slot limit, unless those people catching the trout there are breaking the law, by keeping those slot fish.
(01-18-2021, 02:51 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote:
(01-17-2021, 10:38 PM)seanc1974 Wrote: If any of ya are looking to go ice fishing in idaho don't! I have been out over a dozen times and been skunked everytime. I've thrown everything but the kitchen sink at the fish and nothing. I have spoken to well over a hundred folks who are experiencing the same thing and the consensus is all of southeast idaho waters are fished out. I spent 6 hours today and not even a bite. Weston, deep creek, devil's creek, crowthers and Daniels have been hit hard by utahns and local guys. I honestly don't think idfg really stocked at all the past year and this could be the problem.
We are seeing the same problem here in Utah, the DWR only stocks so many fish each year and once those fish are caught, they are no longer there for others to catch and enjoy. The virus last year caused so many more people to go out fishing that they removed more than normal from the lakes, as a result, we too are finding way fewer trout to catch this Winter. Sorry to hear that trend has extended into Idaho as well. It's strange that Daniels is having that problem though, considering it has a slot limit, unless those people catching the trout there are breaking the law, by keeping those slot fish.
I think its a matter of perspective, as far as I'm concerned fishing in South East Idaho has been fantastic this year especially for quality large fish. No doubt higher traffic on the lakes due to Covid has thinned the fish a bit, but that's a good thing. There is a balance between high numbers of fish that are easy to catch or fewer numbers of quality fish, by no means are any of the lakes in Idaho or Utah fished out, find a technique that you are confident in, use your electronics and be willing to move around on the ice and you will find some great fish.
It's not a stocking problem. Daniels and devils creek were stocked with around 25000 trout and 5000 kokes, most bigger than 6" this year, didn't look at any other, but would assume that they were stocked as well, so there's a lot of fish out there to catch.