Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Snowy Strawberry
We had so much fun at the BFT Rendezvous, we had to make another trip.

Got up to chicken east around 0700. The roads were snow covered and there was about 6" in the parking area. We hit the lake, which had 8" or so of powder and headed out to an area around sage hen knoll. We fished in 25' of water and ice was 14" thick.

Fishing was steady, but they were extremely picky and I went through a lot of different lures and presentations. I was watching fish come in hot and then turn away without ever a bump or a nibble. I finally settled on a simple small silver kastmaster and later switched to a white glow rattle kastmaster. These 2 worked best for me while quickly jigging off the bottom and letting them fall. They were hitting wax and meal worms.

Dead sticking was also productive at 10-15' in the water column and pink seemed to be what they wanted if it was just left to sit.

We only caught cutts. Most were slot, but 4 were under. One yanked my pole out of the automatic fisherman and I probably would have lost the pole if the fish didn't shake loose.

It snowed all day and was breezy. It was fun to watch a couple kite boarders cruise by at warp speed. When we left, there was a good 12" of powder and 2" of slush. There weren't a lot of vehicles in the parking area, but it looked like a lot of vehicles had come and gone, and the snow was pretty packed.
Thanks for the report; I'm glad it went better than Friday. About the Kastmasters, did you use them alone or with a dropper?
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.

(01-24-2021, 11:02 PM)catchinon Wrote: Thanks for the report; I'm glad it went better than Friday. About the Kastmasters, did you use them alone or with a dropper?
I used them alone. Honestly, it didn't even cross my mind to try a dropper, but might be something I try next time.