Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mussel aware 2021 online test
Just finished the online test and it looks like they are now requiring boats with any kind of lake water systems to be dried for 30 days.  Before, I never worried about the live well systems on my boat, and simply cleaned drained and dried for the 7, 18, or 30 days for self decon.  

I did worry about not being able to completely dry out the pumps and lines for the live wells, but the rules did not address that.  Also, I used to have an inboard engine boat that had cooling water pumps and lines.  Same, rules did not address in self decon.

So it looks like new rules, which I think were probably needed.  If this was already discussed, excuse the rehash.
The way I read that, I think it meant if you were coming out of a body of water that had known AIS  such as Powell or Meade, and you had on board inducted water systems such as live wells, engine cooling, jet drive pumps, etc.  
If you haven't been on any of the infected waters, the standard drain, dry times of 7, 18, and 30 days depending on  time of year should still be sufficient.  Of course if you have been on ANY  infected waters, you should have a professional hot cleaning done, and a 30 day dry time. 
I believe if you have come off of Powell at ANY Utah ramp, you are required to have the vessel, inspected, cleaned, and tagged with compliance tag before you leave the Glen Canyon Recreational Area.
"OCD = Obsessive Catfish Disorder "
    Or so it says on my license plate holder

Cool
(01-26-2021, 07:14 PM)Tin-Can Wrote: The way I read that, I think it meant if you were coming out of a body of water that had known AIS  such as Powell or Meade, and you had on board inducted water systems such as live wells, engine cooling, jet drive pumps, etc.  
If you haven't been on any of the infected waters, the standard drain, dry times of 7, 18, and 30 days depending on  time of year should still be sufficient.  Of course if you have been on ANY  infected waters, you should have a professional hot cleaning done, and a 30 day dry time. 
I believe if you have come off of Powell at ANY Utah ramp, you are required to have the vessel, inspected, cleaned, and tagged with compliance tag before you leave the Glen Canyon Recreational Area.
Yes, I agree it appears they are talking about decon after boating at Lake Powell or other known infested water.

But it seems like it should be a requirement after boating in any Utah water.  You would think that the prevention program has to assume any water is possibly infected, and decon requirements are the same for all.  You don't know that a boat just illegally used a "clean" water like Jordanelle, after being on Powell a few days before and didn't care.

Looking at the self decon form, if you answer "No" to using your boat in Powell or other infested water in last 30 days you can simply sign and date the form and display.  Only if you answer "Yes" do they say you must decontaminate your boat.  So are they assuming no problem if you haven't been in a "known" infested water.

It seems like the prevention program in Utah has been successful so far so I'll just follow the 7, 18, or 30 day rule.
Well, it's pretty easy for me. I only have a small fishing boat, I have never had it on Powell or Meade. It sits in a storage unit totally emptied and tilted with all the drains open all winter so that covers the 30 day dry time. Only bodies of water I have it on during the summer, Willard, Bear River, Lost Creek (rarely), Cutler / Benson, Hyrum, Utah Lake, Echo.    
So I do the annual AIS certification sheet every year, keep a copy in my truck and one in the boat cuz most trips to some of the local northern lakes during the summer, the daily sheets are all gone.

Cool
This year's test contains videos with terrible volume control. Also, at least one of the questions is asked before the answer material is presented. If you've taken the test before you know the answer anyway, but it's very poor test design.
(01-27-2021, 12:50 PM)RockyRaab2 Wrote: This year's test contains videos with terrible volume control. Also, at least one of the questions is asked before the answer material is presented. If you've taken the test before you know the answer anyway, but it's very poor test design.

Hey Rocky, writers of that test obviously never took an Air Force Senior NCO test writing class ..... Big Grin .  'Course, now days, do they even still require that course....?  I skipped the videos and still aced it (I know, everybody aces it, cuz they have to) on the first go-round.   Sleepy . 

Cool
They've clearly never taken ANY kind of test-writing instruction because it's awful. I missed one deliberately to see if the remedial instruction was done well. Nope. It just posed the same question. You could simply guess A,B,C...until you got credit for being right - without ever understanding why.
We've been doing this on-line test long enough that it would be nice to have an abbreviated course for those who have already taken the full course (say 3 times or more).

It's a bit of the ol' "preaching to the choir." Those who care enough to take the test are likely the ones following the rules and not dodging the check points.

If the "STD of the Sea" ever takes hold in our other lakes, it would (likely) be an irreversible and complete disaster on so many levels.
(01-28-2021, 02:45 PM)RockyRaab2 Wrote: They've clearly never taken ANY kind of test-writing instruction because it's awful. I missed one deliberately to see if the remedial instruction was done well. Nope. It just posed the same question. You could simply guess A,B,C...until you got credit for being right - without ever understanding why.

Ain't that the way it has all become cuz of the "participation  trophy" mindset

Cool