Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Utah Lake help
Have a couple Hours this Saturday afternoon and was going to take a couple boys, one who has never been ice fishing, out on the ice and since time is an issue was thinking of Utah lake. Haven’t ever had any luck on the ice at Utah lake and was looking to get any help to see if it’s worth my time Saturday. I know the weather might play in to it so if anyone has any input to persuade me one way or another it would be greatly appreciated.
I went to UL state park yesterday, I didnt go on the ice it was too sketch for me. I fished near inlet park, but the edges are soft and the ice isnt that great. Be really careful use safety gear, the docks in the marinas may be a good option.
(01-28-2021, 02:29 AM)Cambium Wrote: Have a couple Hours this Saturday afternoon and was going to take a couple boys, one who has never been ice fishing, out on the ice and since time is an issue was thinking of Utah lake. Haven’t ever had any luck on the ice at Utah lake and was looking to get any help to see if it’s worth my time Saturday. I know the weather might play in to it so if anyone has any input to persuade me one way or another it would be greatly appreciated.
Went to Pelican Bay Marina (North side) this evening for a couple hours with the kiddos and did pretty well. Most of the ice in the Marina was still safe but seems to be deteriorating quickly. Another group next to us did even better. Fishing was consistent pretty much the whole time. We primarily used kastmasters with a ratso or ratfinky (green or pink) tied about 8-10 inches below the kastmaster. Started off tipping each lure with worms until we snagged the first fish (perch) and then cut up a fillet and tipped the lures with the perch meat. Fishing heated up even more with the perch meat.
Fished right off the bottom. Good Luck!
with 45 degree south winds last night id be warry of utah lake ice. i was supposed to go ice fishing saturday and may end up casting from shore at this point! just means i gotta take all my ice crap and my open water stuff
(01-28-2021, 05:29 AM)TroutFool Wrote:
(01-28-2021, 02:29 AM)Cambium Wrote: Have a couple Hours this Saturday afternoon and was going to take a couple boys, one who has never been ice fishing, out on the ice and since time is an issue was thinking of Utah lake. Haven’t ever had any luck on the ice at Utah lake and was looking to get any help to see if it’s worth my time Saturday. I know the weather might play in to it so if anyone has any input to persuade me one way or another it would be greatly appreciated.
Went to Pelican Bay Marina (North side) this evening for a couple hours with the kiddos and did pretty well. Most of the ice in the Marina was still safe but seems to be deteriorating quickly. Another group next to us did even better. Fishing was consistent pretty much the whole time. We primarily used kastmasters with a ratso or ratfinky (green or pink) tied about 8-10 inches below the kastmaster. Started off tipping each lure with worms until we snagged the first fish (perch) and then cut up a fillet and tipped the lures with the perch meat. Fishing heated up even more with the perch meat.

Thanks for the update TF.  Just out of curiosity, do you or anyone else out there know the depth in the harbor?  With all this warm weather, ice safety is paramount, but I or anyone else was to go thru, is it over the head or something less?

Oh, and did you catch all perch or were the WB in the mix too?
Thanks for the info I might have rethink the ice part of Utah lake.
(01-28-2021, 03:28 PM)MWScott72 Wrote:

Thanks for the update TF.  Just out of curiosity, do you or anyone else out there know the depth in the harbor?  With all this warm weather, ice safety is paramount, but I or anyone else was to go thru, is it over the head or something less? 

I would say it’s in the range of 7-8 ft deep. We caught a combo of perch and WB.
(01-28-2021, 03:28 PM)MWScott72 Wrote:

Provo boat harbor was dredged and near 8 ft deep. Pelican bay over by the gates is over 7 or 8' and around the docks somewhat shallower. I would still check ice. It could be sketchy with warm temps and wind. Not worth taking a chance especially with young ones. Take safety gear
My brother and I went to Lincoln Beach a couple of days ago. We were able to get on the harbor and channel though the ice was thin for a foot or two around the edges. I think you can get on from the dock too. In there the water is only 3.5 feet deep so we knew we wouldn't drown if we did go through but with 5" of solid ice we felt safe anyway. I was trying for catfish and came up with a skunk but joatmon caught a couple dozen small white bass and one perch. They were just bite size-for a catfish. He kept them for bait next summer. He caught them with a tungston jig and waxworm. They were right on the bottom and he had to entice them up by jigging. Good luck and have fun.
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.