Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Homeland Project
This winter we are really feeling the cold penetrating into our house, it doesn't help with us aging too. We bump up our heat from 70° to 72° or 73°. We also know we have a problem with our current windows as we feel the cold penetrating the dual pane. These windows are contractors windows but have out served their usefulness with argon in between not holding up any longer and have become a challenge to open/close for my wife. After making a selection for new windows to be installed(it ain't cheap), this project also involved installing a wall mount doggie door to replace the current insert at the patio sliding door. Next is I broke out the compound miter saw and table saw to build a new step at the door. Since doggie door is installed I had to extend step over to accommodate entrance & exit for my little 
buddy. All that's left is installing step. This pic shows new & old doggie door, new & old patio steps. New windows and patio door will be installed in March.

[Image: Patio-Step.jpg]
[Image: P3100003.jpg]
Harrisville UT
2000 7.3L F250 Superduty  '07 Columbia 2018 Fisherman XL Raymarine Element 9HV 4 Electric Walker Downriggers Uniden Solara VHF
Nice upgrade, how long did it take to make that porch? Do you think C-19 has caused you two to feel colder this Winter, compared to normal?
We have been noticing the cold for a couple of years now. Even the summer heat was penetrating. I took 2 days to build, day 1 framing and day 2 final and that was taking my time since I needed to take breaks to warm up at times.
Harrisville UT
2000 7.3L F250 Superduty  '07 Columbia 2018 Fisherman XL Raymarine Element 9HV 4 Electric Walker Downriggers Uniden Solara VHF
Really nice looking steps. Don't think our dogs would ever even try using a doggie door, was it hard to teach your dog to use it?
The porch looks great. I am  in the "been feeling colder" years.  I go to bed looking for the blanket, wake up later sweaty, then wake up in morning hugging the covers.
Good fishing to all.   Hue
Hey Bduck those are some awesome looking steps and great looking doggy door. I at times wouldn't mind turning the furnace up as I have a severe case of type 2 diabetes and get a little cold at times. But for the most part I still sleep without blankets or sheets and handle the 66-67 we keep our thermostat at through the winter.

BTW I'm jealous of your truck. I want a good 73L Ford Superduty
(01-29-2021, 01:15 AM)jjannie Wrote: Really nice looking steps. Don't think our dogs would ever even try using a doggie door, was it hard to teach your dog to use it?

Thanks, it was easy to train the dog, they are a little skeptical to start but once they try they get the hang of it. Having access to the outside at anytime makes it easy. My previous dog learned too.

(01-29-2021, 09:55 AM)Mooseman75 Wrote: Hey Bduck those are some awesome looking steps and great looking doggy door. I at times wouldn't mind turning the furnace up as I have a severe case of type 2 diabetes and get a little cold at times. But for the most part I still sleep without blankets or sheets and handle the 66-67 we keep our thermostat at through the winter.

BTW I'm jealous of your truck. I want a good 73L Ford Superduty

I got curious and looked on youtube, found same exact old step as mine and a new one built with pressure treated 2x6" with composite.
I'm a diabetic also but not yet on meds to treat it just watching my intake. I have a warming blanket I use when watching TV, the warmth puts me in a state of napping.  Tongue

I have owned that Superduty truck going on 20yrs now. My wife told me to go buy a new one 2yrs ago but didn't want one, this one had the perfect drivetrain and engine. Maintaining it is cheaper than a $75G truck. She took advantage of getting a new vehicle since I didn't. She stole my Dodge Nitro for trade-in that I inherited from my brother who passed away buying a 2017 Buick Enclave. Sad She told me I got a new vehicle too, her hand me down 2005 Cadillac Escalade.  Huh  I won't be letting go of my Superduty anytime soon, hopefully. 
Harrisville UT
Great looking steps. Great material and beautiful workmanship. Too bad you had to take on that project in the cold  Sad . 

You won't regret using that composite decking material.  Unless those steps get damaged somehow, you won't ever need to replace them. 
I built the bunks and side guides for my boat trailer out of Trex about 3 years ago. Got tired of replacing even pressure treated timbers every 2 years. All I need to do now every couple seasons,  is replace the marine grade carpeting that I wrap the bunks and guides with.  
"OCD = Obsessive Catfish Disorder "
    Or so it says on my license plate holder

Cool
(01-30-2021, 01:26 PM)Tin-Can Wrote: Great looking steps. Great material and beautiful workmanship. Too bad you had to take on that project in the cold  Sad . 

You won't regret using that composite decking material.  Unless those steps get damaged somehow, you won't ever need to replace them. 
I built the bunks and side guides for my boat trailer out of Trex about 3 years ago. Got tired of replacing even pressure treated timbers every 2 years. All I need to do now every couple seasons,  is replace the marine grade carpeting that I wrap the bunks and guides with.  

Forest, I have that project that's been weighing on my mind for a while. I know guys that put Trex on as bunks but don't cover them. Just use them as is but that works only if your boat is aluminum. Personally I would cover Trex because of the dock rash I'm constantly receive at the launch sites. I haven't seen a glass boat sitting on top of Trex unless its covered with carpet. There are options you can follow up using Trex. My bunks have the press treated carpet cover with 4 sections of composite glide covers on each bunk. In this link provided is a product called Gator back for the bunks which will work over Trex also. This is what I'm considering going to.

GATORBAK 2 in. x 6 in. Bunk Cover Kit, 8 ft. GB550-8KT (easternmarine.com)
Harrisville UT
Just out of curiosity, how do you put a dog door in a sliding glass door? I've been thinking about doing it for a long time but our dogs are big (think Bumpus hounds) and I'm not sure it would work.
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.

(02-04-2021, 05:43 PM)catchinon Wrote: Just out of curiosity, how do you put a dog door in a sliding glass door? I've been thinking about doing it for a long time but our dogs are big (think Bumpus hounds) and I'm not sure it would work.

The pet door already comes installed built in a section of glass and frame as you will see in the pic I posted. You don't do anything to your sliding door except adding a weather seal when The two meet. Your sliding glass door only opens & closes against it. It narrows the opening for us to go in or out because of our size of the sliding door, there are larger sliding doors. You can check on line with Lowes & Home Depot for these doors which we have seen them in stock locally and also the wall mount type. The wall mount style I would recommend which is available too.
Harrisville UT