Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Marine shop
Has anyone used Dicks Marine in Clearfield ?
(02-01-2021, 05:41 PM)packfish Wrote: Has anyone used Dicks Marine in Clearfield ?
I took my bass boat to them in 2008. The 200hp motor would quit after about 20 minutes of operation. I took it to them 3 times for the same problem that never was fixed. Cost me over $3000 in parts and labor and a summer of fishing to get back my boat with the original problem still happening. I gave up on the boat until a guy stopped by the house and bought it from me, knowing it's history. I don't know if it ever got fixed. So since you asked about Dick's Marine, this is my experience.
Good fishing to all.   Hue
(02-01-2021, 05:41 PM)packfish Wrote: Has anyone used Dicks Marine in Clearfield ?
Went one time about 10 years ago they messed up an oil change somehow. I would make the drive too lees marine a little expensive but he does great work and is good too work with
OUCH. Not what I wanted to hear .
(02-01-2021, 08:39 PM)packfish Wrote: OUCH. Not what I wanted to hear .
Yeah, Dick's gave me a royal run around on a 4 hp kicker a couple years back and it took 3 trips to get it fixed.  Lee's in Hyrum is top rate.  Also, I take my ThunderJet Mercury motors to Fred's Marine in Layton.  I have NEVER had an issue with any of the work they have done for me. 
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I'm 81 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms."
We took our 90hp Yamaha there for an oil be nice if they actually refilled its oil before they gave it back to us. Oil wasn't even to check window when Jeff checked it after we got it home. We called and they told they always refill them, we drove the boat back so they could recheck it and they acted like WE had drained it out. Seriously? in the end they did fill it back up after Jeff gave them the stink eye...it took quite a bit of oil to even get it register.
Well I hope I come out of this OK.They are putting on a new motor. By far the best price around on an Evinrude so I either had to go with a used one which I really have had enough of or a good deal on a new motor with a warranty. I use Lees a lot but he couldn't come close on the price with a Merc . I like Dons also but he couldn't either. Dons is now Yamaha dealer for new motors because Evinrude is going electric.  Hope for the best
(02-02-2021, 12:13 AM)packfish Wrote: Well I hope I come out of this OK.They are putting on a new motor. By far the best price around on an Evinrude so I either had to go with a used one which I really have had enough of or a good deal on a new motor with a warranty. I use Lees a lot but he couldn't come close on the price with a Merc . I like Dons also but he couldn't either. Dons is now Yamaha dealer for new motors because Evinrude is going electric.  Hope for the best
Sooo? Why ask about Dick's now? We will all hope for the best for you and the new motor.
(02-02-2021, 12:30 AM)BURLEY Wrote:
(02-02-2021, 12:13 AM)packfish Wrote: Well I hope I come out of this OK.They are putting on a new motor. By far the best price around on an Evinrude so I either had to go with a used one which I really have had enough of or a good deal on a new motor with a warranty. I use Lees a lot but he couldn't come close on the price with a Merc . I like Dons also but he couldn't either. Dons is now Yamaha dealer for new motors because Evinrude is going electric.  Hope for the best
Sooo? Why ask about Dick's now? We will all hope for the best for you and the new motor.
 Knew that was coming- Deserved it
(02-02-2021, 12:36 AM)packfish Wrote:
(02-02-2021, 12:30 AM)BURLEY Wrote:
 Knew that was coming- Deserved it
We have all been there, I'm sure. Wink
You do know that Evinrude is essentially defunct, right? I wouldn't count on a warranty.
(02-02-2021, 12:41 AM)RockyRaab2 Wrote: You do know that Evinrude is essentially defunct, right? I wouldn't count on a warranty.
 checked on that 3 year warranty- talked with Dons also. warranty good.
(02-02-2021, 12:13 AM)packfish Wrote: I like Dons also but he couldn't either. Dons is now Yamaha dealer for new motors because Evinrude is going electric.  
What is this!! Evinrude is going electric. What exactly does that mean? A whole stack of batteries filling up a boat, seems kind of crazy, sounds like you could overload a boat real quick.
(02-02-2021, 12:41 AM)RockyRaab2 Wrote: You do know that Evinrude is essentially defunct, right? I wouldn't count on a warranty.
I think they are lying to you.  I have a friend who got a new Evinrude at Don's just over a year ago. They said they will not honor the warranty since Evinrude will no longer make parts.  I would pay the extra money and get a Mercury or Hamaya.
The fact is that Evinrude went out of business in May of 2020. They stuck with two-stroke engines and that was their downfall. You may have little to no luck finding parts if something breaks, and any warranty is worthless.
Dicks marine is good but they only good on Yamaha motor.
(02-02-2021, 10:26 PM)dannychen Wrote: Dicks marine is good but they only good on Yamaha motor.
 Only can tell you a week ago Dons said the warranty will be  good.
(02-03-2021, 12:55 AM)packfish Wrote:
(02-02-2021, 10:26 PM)dannychen Wrote: Dicks marine is good but they only good on Yamaha motor.
 Only can tell you a week ago Dons said the warranty will be  good.
hopefully they didn't just tell you that just to sell you a motor.  You may call Evinrude tomorrow and get the facts.
Evinrude was one of many marine brands owned by Canadian company Bombardier Recreational Products (BRP).  They issued a news release on May 27, 2020 announcing they would discontinue production of Evinrude E-TEC and E-TEC G2 outboard engines.  They went on to say they will continue to supply customers and their dealer network service parts and they will honor their manufacturer limited warranties, plus offer select programs to manage inventory.  You can read the full release at this link: BRP ADVANCES MARINE STRATEGY BY FOCUSING ON BOATS AND NEW TECHNOLOGIES.

It should also be noted that BRP did NOT offer an indication of how LONG they will honor the warranties.  So, IMHO, it is a crap shoot purchasing ANY Evinrude engines going forward.  But it is your money and your choice on what to spend it on.  In this case, I'm reminded of the British phrase about being penny wise and pound foolish. 

Big Grin
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I'm 81 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms."