Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tips on jigs, bait and locations?
We're getting skunked wherever we go so far. Using short poles with green/chartruese jig heads, tipped with a piece of nightcrawler, meal worm, wax worm and even perch eye. Most of the problem is finding the fish, barely a blip on the fish finder anywhere we go. Been to Mantua 3-4 times (1 rainbow), Hyrum 3-4 times (1 perch), Pineview and Willard once each (not a nibble) and Newton a few times (5 perch in one trip).

Considering we have 5-6 lines in the water all the time, it's a bit frustrating. Anyone care to share some tips with a newbie ice fishers? Are there better set ups I can use to attract fish over? Do those waters just suck this year? Constructive thoughts and suggestions appreciated.
(02-02-2021, 06:40 AM), AIMiles Fitzrobert Wrote: We're getting skunked wherever we go so far. Using short poles with green/chartruese jig heads, tipped with a piece of nightcrawler, meal worm, wax worm and even perch eye. Most of the problem is finding the fish, barely a blip on the fish finder anywhere we go. Been to Mantua 3-4 times (1 rainbow), Hyrum 3-4 times (1 perch), Pineview and Willard once each (not a nibble) and Newton a few times (5 perch in one trip).

Considering we have 5-6 lines in the water all the time, it's a bit frustrating. Anyone care to share some tips with a newbie ice fishers? Are there better set ups I can use to attract fish over? Do those waters just suck this year? Constructive thoughts and suggestions appreciated.
One thing to consider, as the ice season wears on the fishing gets tougher as the fish have been pressured by anglers and the oxygen levels are dropping under the ice making the fish less active. Start your day by getting away from where lots of people have been fishing, when you first get to the lake, walk or ride as far from your access point as your willing or able to go and work back. If you do come across a spot where some one else has been and you see blood its often times worth stopping and giving that location a go. If you are not marking or catching fish move don't stay on unproductive holes for more than 20-30minutes, often times you don't have to move that far to find active fish, 50 yards can make a big difference. If you punch a hole and find willing fish but then the bite slows down move, if you have moved several times and you are not on fish circle back to the productive holes and try them again.

I primarily use the 2 following set ups, My pan fish set up is a 1/4oz. kastmaster with the split rings and hook removed tied to my main line then a 8" section of line to a small 1/32oz. jig tipped with meal worm, pinch the head of the worm and thread it onto the hook, if I'm fishing for perch, after I catch the first one I will switch to tipping my jig with perch eyeball. For trout I use a 1/16th oz. jig head with a small plastic body popular ones are tubes, cutter bugs and my all time favorite Maniac Gitzillas, I also tip them with meal worms and put mikes trout glow scent on them.

As far as technique, I'll drop down to the bottom bounce my jig off of it several times, then real up one turn, jig aggressively several times and then dead stick and watch for fish to come onto my screen, then try small jigging movements, then dead stick some more. When they appear I will continue to dead stick and watch for light bites, resist the urge to set the hook on the first tap, but instead try to anticipate the next tap then lift up, don't jerk. IF you miss drop it right back down the fish will often times strike it again, hook sets are free. If you are not getting fish on the bottom move up through the water column 2 turns at a time and repeat the process. When you see a fish appear on your screen move up or down to its level and dead stick. When aggressively jigging which is moving you bait more than a few inches make sure that on the drop, your not letting the line go slack if it does, lift up you may have a fish on, most of my jigging are small movements from shaking the rod to just moving my wrist. Hope this helps, if you have any specific questions just ask I'm more than happy to share what works for me.
(02-02-2021, 06:40 AM)Miles Fitzrobert Wrote: We're getting skunked wherever we go so far. Using short poles with green/chartruese jig heads, tipped with a piece of nightcrawler, meal worm, wax worm and even perch eye. Most of the problem is finding the fish, barely a blip on the fish finder anywhere we go. Been to Mantua 3-4 times (1 rainbow), Hyrum 3-4 times (1 perch), Pineview and Willard once each (not a nibble) and Newton a few times (5 perch in one trip).

To bring fish in I like using some type of rattling spoon. If I don't see any activity in 5 or 10 minutes on my vexilar, I move to another location. If you are lucky enough to find fish, make small moves around that area to stay on fish. The rattling spoon will catch aggressive fish or at least bring some activity to your spot. Just bounce your rattling spoon in short, quick strokes. Sometimes several moves are what make the difference. You might want to consider using small soft plastics to give the fish something different to look at. Change different colors and styles to hopefully find a combination they have not seen yet.
Gabe
You say you are using "short rods", so assume ice rods; however, what kind are you using? If you're after perch, crappie, and bluegill, you need a light or ultra light rod with a spring bobber off the tip. The panfish bite is so light right now, that if you're using anything larger than light or UL, you are likely missing most of the bites on your poles. I went to AF boat harbor yesterday late afternoon/early evening and many of the bites I got were barely perceptible on my UL pole...it's that light!

Everything ObiFish said is dead on. Additionally, I like to use a 3-way swivel with my "heavy" lure on the bottom about 1.5-2 ft below the swivel. Kastmasters, Halis, Buckshot spoons, etc. They all work if fish are around. My upper jig is usually a 1/32 or 1/64 ratfinkie or tungsten teardrop jig. Don't overlook the glow lures for the RF and tungsten jigs. They work (and work even better is you keep them charged up every 10 mins or so)! Perch colored, chartreuse, and white have been the best for me, and those that glow have typically outfished those that don't.

Something else to consider is your line weight. Anything above 4 lb test is too much for panfish. You want a light, limp, no-memory line that will transmit the bite efficiently. If you're using 6 or 8 lb test, all that memory eats up what little feel you get when these fish bite.

If after Crappie, find deeper water. Somewhere in the neighborhood of 40 FOW usually does the trick. Pineview has been decent off Port Ramp, Browning's Point, and Cemetery Point. I have not had a true banger day on Crappie yet, but typically come home with 15 or so for a 4 hour effort. If fishing in the afternoon at PV, best times seem to be from 4pm-9pm. You'll get a good bite an hour or so before and after dark, then they seem to wake up again between 7:30-9 or so. Fishing after 9:30 has not been productive for me in 4 trips to PV this year.

Hyrum has been more finicky this year, but the fish are there in smaller numbers it seems. Swim beach, car bodies, State Park ramp area, the fish are there but not in numbers like last year. Seems anywhere between 35-50 FOW is where you'll find the perch. As ObiFish said, if you're not catching in a hole after 20 minutes, move. Perch will typically bite if they're there, so no bit equals no or little fish down below. Perch eyes work great (and stay on even better), but don't overlook a small piece of perch meat on your jig too. Those little guys love to eat their own kind.

One last technique I like is to "pound" my lower jig on the bottom 4 or 5 times, then raise it just above and lightly jig a few times followed by deadstick for a minute or two. If no hits after that, I'll repeat the process until I either move or start catching fish. I think the sound/vibration plus the stirring up of a little bottom sediment gets the perch interested if they're being finicky. If you're after perch, and you don't have a swarm below you, be aware that you may not even be able to mark fish because they're hugging the bottom so tightly. So, if you're not marking fish, make sure your bait is right off the bottom to within a foot or less, and you should pick up some perch...if they are there.
Just to clarify what Gabe said: Northland Buck-Shot is an excellent rattling lure. I've used a Kastmaster with rattles, too but that's about all I know. I hope others will share specific lures they use.

Have you used PowerBait? Sometimes it saves the day when nothing else works. Garlic seems like a good choice. Saturday the fish at Fish Lake came arunning to it but wouldn't bite. Having other baits in the water at the same time is a good tactic. Cutbait also works well. Chub, sucker, etc. Where perch is legal for bait, cut small strips of belly meat, about the size of a waxworm or two. That strip will undulate enticingly with the smallest jigging action. Try Atomic Teasers, too. I like green and various combos of white and orange and pink. Be careful if you don't want to keep fish because they will swallow them. They are made of PowerBait stuff so fish tend to think they are getting the real thing. But they don't work without added bait. I like waxworms but anything might work.
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.

Another tip, are you using really sensitive rods? If not throw a spring bobber on the tip because most bites are very light and you can’t see it on a standard trout ice rod. Winter water is very clear, 3-6 lb test line. Harder for fish to see and lighter line straitens out helping you to detect those light bites. Also try waxies or spikes if mealies aren’t working. Biggest help is a flasher. Pricey, but total game changer for ice fishing. Better than a traditional fish finder.  Good luck!
[Image: B87-D2-CD6-A6-AE-41-E4-AF77-CC3-F883-D60-AE.jpg]
(02-02-2021, 03:18 PM)catchinon Wrote: Just to clarify what Gabe said: Northland Buck-Shot is an excellent rattling lure. I've used a Kastmaster with rattles, too but that's about all I know.  I hope others will share specific lures they use.

Have you used PowerBait? Sometimes it saves the day when nothing else works. Garlic seems like a good choice. Saturday the fish at Fish Lake came arunning to it but wouldn't bite. Having other baits in the water at the same time is a good tactic. Cutbait also works well. Chub, sucker, etc. Where perch is legal for bait, cut small strips of belly meat, about the size of a waxworm or two. That strip will undulate enticingly with the smallest jigging action. Try Atomic Teasers, too. I like green and various combos of white and orange and pink. Be careful if you don't want to keep fish because they will swallow them. They are made of PowerBait stuff so fish tend to think they are getting the real thing. But they don't work without added bait. I like waxworms but anything might work.

Yes!!  The Northland Buck-Shot is what I was referring to in my previous post.  I have a glow version that is white with orange stripes, and it was one of the best yesterday at AF boat harbor.  The perch were very fond of it...in fact I got them to keep biting a full hour after dark which seems to be a rarity these days after dark.  It had to be charged and glowing though.  If it wasn't glowing, it wasn't working...and I was only fishing about 4.5 FOW off the docks.  Nothing big though.  Biggest was around 8" - most were 7".

Unfortunately, the WB were not in the harbor in any good numbers.  Only caught two that were eaters.  The rest were catfish-sized bait.  Only about 2-4" of lesser quality ice in the harbor right now.  The entrance and lake beyond are soft water.  Anyone else know if the WB swarm back into the iced harbors once the main lake loses its ice?
This forum is fun for a lot of reason, but my favorite is when members spend time offering the kind of detailed advice to help someone out. Really fun reading the suggestion and advice. Very nice guys.
Remember: keep the lid on the worms, share your jerky, and stop by to say hi to Cookie and the Cowboy-Pirate crew
(02-02-2021, 04:09 PM)MWScott72 Wrote:
(02-02-2021, 03:18 PM)catchinon Wrote: Just to clarify what Gabe said: Northland Buck-Shot is an excellent rattling lure. I've used a Kastmaster with rattles, too but that's about all I know.  I hope others will share specific lures they use.

Yes!!  The Northland Buck-Shot is what I was referring to in my previous post.  I have a glow version that is white with orange stripes, and it was one of the best yesterday at AF boat harbor.  The perch were very fond of it...in fact I got them to keep biting a full hour after dark which seems to be a rarity these days after dark.  It had to be charged and glowing though.  If it wasn't glowing, it wasn't working...and I was only fishing about 4.5 FOW off the docks.  Nothing big though.  Biggest was around 8" - most were 7".

Unfortunately, the WB were not in the harbor in any good numbers.  Only caught two that were eaters.  The rest were catfish-sized bait.  Only about 2-4" of lesser quality ice in the harbor right now.  The entrance and lake beyond are soft water.  Anyone else know if the WB swarm back into the iced harbors once the main lake loses its ice?
As a general rule, once the ice is gone, so are the fish...especially if water levels are low (less than about 6'). 
After the ice cap comes off you will find more fish around rocky shorelines or along structure like the bubbleup pipeline.  Howsomever, there will often be a few silly crappies still hanging out in the harbors, especially around docks.  They take some looking and finesse, but you can often get them if you find them.  There can also be some bluegills, but the roaming species like white bass and perch tend to head out into the open lake when the ice comes off.

One place I have done well at iceoff is in the little cove just south of the dikes at Lincoln Beach.  There are some warm springs that come in there...in the old Benjamin Slough channel.  If you can keep from snagging carp on every cast you can also catch some white bass.  Here's a pic taken in that spot right at ice out.
[Image: OLYMPUS-DIGITAL-CAMERA.jpg]
(02-02-2021, 03:25 PM)Troutster Wrote: Another tip, are you using really sensitive rods? If not throw a spring bobber on the tip because most bites are very light and you can’t see it on a standard trout ice rod. Winter water is very clear, 3-6 lb test line. Harder for fish to see and lighter line straitens out helping you to detect those light bites. Also try waxies or spikes if mealies aren’t working. Biggest help is a flasher. Pricey, but total game changer for ice fishing. Better than a traditional fish finder.  Good luck!
[Image: B87-D2-CD6-A6-AE-41-E4-AF77-CC3-F883-D60-AE.jpg]
Ok, this might start a debate, why do you say a flasher is better than a traditional fish finder?  Honestly, I don't know what the appeal is with flashers, in my opinion traditional graphs are easier to look at, the right hand edge of the screen is live and you also have a history scrolling across your screen, with a flasher if you look  away and a fish swims in and out of your cone your more likely to miss it.
I don’t have a lot of experience with finders so you may be right on. I’ll be interested to see what comments pop up. I like how flashers are real time and target separation is down to the inch. I can see if my jigging puts off the fish, make them follow it up higher in the column... The number of flashers on the ice vs finders has to be 10 to 1 but maybe the flasher salesman is just better than the finder salesman? Great question.
(02-02-2021, 04:52 PM)TubeDude Wrote:

As a general rule, once the ice is gone, so are the fish...especially if water levels are low (less than about 6'). 
After the ice cap comes off you will find more fish around rocky shorelines or along structure like the bubbleup pipeline.  Howsomever, there will often be a few silly crappies still hanging out in the harbors, especially around docks.  They take some looking and finesse, but you can often get them if you find them.  There can also be some bluegills, but the roaming species like white bass and perch tend to head out into the open lake when the ice comes off.

One place I have done well at iceoff is in the little cove just south of the dikes at Lincoln Beach.  There are some warm springs that come in there...in the old Benjamin Slough channel.  If you can keep from snagging carp on every cast you can also catch some white bass.  Here's a pic taken in that spot right at ice out.
Thanks Pat!  Maybe I need to get in there with a bow-fishing rig for the carp.  Been a long time...
Wow, definitely tons of information to go through here. Thanks! At work right now, but have a few minutes.

For now, the short rods I'm using are cheap ones from Walmart, 3 Dock Runners/Dock Demons, something to that effect. We just decided to try the ice so we've been keeping it cheap. I can feel the bites, but it's definitely very light. My wife and kid (he's 7 and isn't really into it yet) haven't caught anything, but not sure if it's them not noticing or the rods not being sensitive enough.

We usually being along our regular trout poles as well, I've used one to pound the bottom a bit in the hopes of making some noise that might bring fish near my jigging rod, but usually we'll put bobbers on those and let them hang some nightcrawler or powerbait about 2-5 feet below the ice. Gets some nibbles and one trout that way, but they're more to just have more bait in the water.

We have a cheap fish finder, seems to work (all the perch I've caught have shown up on it right before the bite) and a hand auger.

Most of the time when we're fishing, we're not in particularly deep water, partly because the water's just not that deep and partly because we probably haven't found the good spots yet. At Hyrum, Mantua and Willard, we're usually near the boat docks. Ventured out more at Newton, but the only fish we've caught there have been in 10-15 feet of water. We only did the one trip to Pineview, but in the area we were at, couldn't find anything deeper than 15 feet and not a single blip.

Will have to ask some specifics on the lures and jigs, but gotta run for the moment.
If the weeds have died, the fish head to deeper water for better oxygen. Mud flats that blood worms and bug lava. Down size to smaller uv or glow jigs in the deeper water. Pound the bottom,stir up the mud.
(02-02-2021, 05:19 PM)Troutster Wrote: I don’t have a lot of experience with finders so you may be right on.  I’ll be interested to see what comments pop up.  I like how flashers are real time and target separation is down to the inch. I can see if my jigging puts off the fish, make them follow it up higher in the column... The number of flashers on the ice vs finders has to be 10 to 1 but maybe the flasher salesman is just better than the finder salesman? Great question.
I also hope others comment here as well, as far as real time and target separation you do have all of that on a traditional graph, I'm watching my jig in real time going up and down and watching individual fish reaction to it. I may be wrong but, I kind of think guys who use flashers do because they have always used flashers.
Great details for sure guys. I like the graph sonor because of the history that it logs and I find it easy to use and interpret the signal. I would also add when fishing for panfish If I dont get a bite or mark fish right away I will move. less than 5 mins usually. With trout I would wait longer like 30 mins before I move.
(02-02-2021, 05:42 PM)MWScott72 Wrote:
(02-02-2021, 04:52 PM)TubeDude Wrote:

Thanks Pat!  Maybe I need to get in there with a bow-fishing rig for the carp.  Been a long time...
Even though the water is a couple of degrees warmer than nearby waters...the fish are still sluggish and don't move around enough to be very visible.  But there are lots of carp...and enough to keep the water colored up a bit.  You can't see the carp, even in the shallow water, but dragging a jig through there will get you "connected" if you just wanna have some tugs...and some carp meat for bait.  I'm planning to try some fligs on short droppers this year to reduce the number of snagged carp and increase the bites from white bass.
(02-02-2021, 05:52 PM)Miles Fitzrobert Wrote: Wow, definitely tons of information to go through here. Thanks! At work right now, but have a few minutes.

For now, the short rods I'm using are cheap ones from Walmart, 3 Dock Runners/Dock Demons, something to that effect. We just decided to try the ice so we've been keeping it cheap. I can feel the bites, but it's definitely very light. My wife and kid (he's 7 and isn't really into it yet) haven't caught anything, but not sure if it's them not noticing or the rods not being sensitive enough.

We usually being along our regular trout poles as well, I've used one to pound the bottom a bit in the hopes of making some noise that might bring fish near my jigging rod, but usually we'll put bobbers on those and let them hang some nightcrawler or powerbait about 2-5 feet below the ice. Gets some nibbles and one trout that way, but they're more to just have more bait in the water.

We have a cheap fish finder, seems to work (all the perch I've caught have shown up on it right before the bite) and a hand auger.

Most of the time when we're fishing, we're not in particularly deep water, partly because the water's just not that deep and partly because we probably haven't found the good spots yet. At Hyrum, Mantua and Willard, we're usually near the boat docks. Ventured out more at Newton, but the only fish we've caught there have been in 10-15 feet of water. We only did the one trip to Pineview, but in the area we were at, couldn't find anything deeper than 15 feet and not a single blip.

Will have to ask some specifics on the lures and jigs, but gotta run for the moment.
Look for a "Boating Navionics" app on Google Play. White on blue background with the word "Navionics" above a white circle with 3 jagged blue lines running diagonal thru it. It will give you bottom contours for lakes.  I used it for the first time at PV last week, and while it wasn't as accurate as I'd hoped (said we should be in 39 FOW and we were actually 46 FOW), it does give you the general idea of bottom layout/depth which would be very helpful to know if you're in the general vicinity at least.  First 2 weeks is free and then I think it's $15 for a year subscription.

(02-02-2021, 07:59 PM)TubeDude Wrote: Even though the water is a couple of degrees warmer than nearby waters...the fish are still sluggish and don't move around enough to be very visible.  But there are lots of carp...and enough to keep the water colored up a bit.  You can't see the carp, even in the shallow water, but dragging a jig through there will get you "connected" if you just wanna have some tugs...and some carp meat for bait.  I'm planning to try some fligs on short droppers this year to reduce the number of snagged carp and increase the bites from white bass.

I might just have to get my 12 year old down there for a few of those tugs.  Nothing like fighting carp to help you understand the whole concept of "drag".  And since they're not thought of as a "good" fish (except by other cultures), if you break off, no biggie...tie on and try again!
Wow really strange the whirling guys haven't piped up, we know they love their flashers... I've never been able to get good with the traditional flasher, I have a Marcum LX and I set it up with both a showdown trype flasher and then the graph, it gives you the best of both worlds, but without the graph it would only be part of the picture... I love the history to see how the fish has acted to your different attempts to entice it... Some fish you can work on or ever and they'll only chase you up and down, others loose interest and leave, and then there are the fish like my last one that came in at 15' and seen my lure at 28' and dove straight down and smacked it... I don't see that very often at all when they move down to hit, but it was sure fun... Later Jeff
When things get stressful think I'll go fish'en and worry about it tomorrow!
(02-03-2021, 04:00 PM)SkunkedAgain Wrote: Wow really strange the whirling guys haven't piped up, we know they love their flashers...  I've never been able to get good with the traditional flasher, I have a Marcum LX and I set it up with both a showdown trype flasher and then the graph, it gives you the best of both worlds, but without the graph it would only be part of the picture... I love the history to see how the fish has acted to your different attempts to entice it...  Some fish you can work on or ever and they'll only chase you up and down, others loose interest and leave, and then there are the fish like my last one that came in at 15' and seen my lure at 28' and dove straight down and smacked it...  I don't see that very often at all when they move down to hit, but it was sure fun... Later Jeff

I am with you Jeff, I love the graph vs. blips on a flasher for the chance to see what happened when I looked away, but those flasher boys catch a lot a fish, so you won't hear me talking smack about their choice of toys. Oh and about catching up at Hyrum, doubt it will happen as bad as we would love to fish with ya. Without sharing the gory details it has been a medical tornado  this winter at the C&CBP house.  I am just hopeful that we will have things tracking better for spring.
Remember: keep the lid on the worms, share your jerky, and stop by to say hi to Cookie and the Cowboy-Pirate crew