Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Echo or Jordanelle reports anyone?
Haven't heard anything about either lake recently, anyone have any recent Intel, like ice at the edges and if it's going down hill? With the rain and warm temps I'm concerned the ice will be short lived, unless it gets much colder. I haven't heard anyone post about this but I was told there was ice at the North end of Jordanelle, has anyone tried to fish it?
I carefully walked out off the main boat ramp at Jordanelle on Sunday afternoon. NOT GOOD. Somebody had drilled 1" holes and as I was walking out the ice started sinking and water came up through the holes. With the warm temps yesterday and today I would think it did not build ice. I had hopes of fishing it this Saturday but I think i have changed my mind. It did look like search and rescue had cut the thin ice and had done some training there as they had the area coned off where they had cut the ice.
(02-02-2021, 11:34 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote: Haven't heard anything about either lake recently, anyone have any recent Intel, like ice at the edges and if it's going down hill? With the rain and warm temps I'm concerned the ice will be short lived, unless it gets much colder. I haven't heard anyone post about this but I was told there was ice at the North end of Jordanelle, has anyone tried to fish it?
I fished Echo Monday 12”+ of ice, edges where solid at the ramp. I was pre fishing for the tournament this weekend so I stayed around there, I could catch as many small perch as I wanted and kept some for catfish bait, but I was targeting rainbows and only managed 1 12” fish. DWR was out there trying to catch and tag 30 Rainbows, I let them tag the one I caught. They where having a tough time catching fish as well.
(02-03-2021, 12:57 AM)obifishkenobi Wrote:
(02-02-2021, 11:34 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote: Haven't heard anything about either lake recently, anyone have any recent Intel, like ice at the edges and if it's going down hill? With the rain and warm temps I'm concerned the ice will be short lived, unless it gets much colder. I haven't heard anyone post about this but I was told there was ice at the North end of Jordanelle, has anyone tried to fish it?
I fished Echo Monday 12”+ of ice, edges where solid at the ramp. I was pre fishing for the tournament this weekend so I stayed around there, I could catch as many small perch as I wanted and kept some for catfish bait, but I was targeting rainbows and only managed 1 12” fish. DWR was out there trying to catch and tag 30 Rainbows, I let them tag the one I caught. They where having a tough time catching fish as well.
Were they tagging fish for the tournament on Saturday?  They did that at Steinaker, but only one was turned in. We fished Echo on Sunday. Did pretty good. Got 7 trout. 3 of them were good ones. My bow was 23 1/2” 4lbs 7 oz. my boy got a 23” brown. Looking forward to the tournament. The ice was good on Sunday. It looked like the edges had been soft, but had hardened back up. I think we are good for a bit. The ice is hard and clear. [Image: 6001-BFD2-1776-41-B1-A75-F-FED5757095-FE.png]

[Image: 3-DE6-DB31-3-F0-B-4310-A83-E-24968141-C6-E4.png]
to bad that tournament they predrill your holes and only let you fish that certain area, I've gone to 3 ice addiction contests here in Utah and probably wont go to another. hopefully it dumps snow Friday so Saturday we can catch some more kitties!

[Image: output-image1612364534190.jpg]
Hey, Fritz, tell us a little about your 'cat hunting. You could post some details on the Hunting and Shooting Forum.
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.

(02-02-2021, 11:57 PM)JBSPARKIE Wrote: I carefully walked out off the main boat ramp at Jordanelle on Sunday afternoon. NOT GOOD. Somebody had drilled 1" holes and as I was walking out the ice started sinking and water came up through the holes. With the warm temps yesterday and today I would think it did not build ice. I had hopes of fishing it this Saturday but I think i have changed my mind. It did look like search and rescue had cut the thin ice and had done some training there as they had the area coned off where they had cut the ice.
That does not sound good, might have to give up on the idea of fishing Jordanelle but thanks for the info.
(02-03-2021, 12:57 AM)obifishkenobi Wrote:
That is plenty thick enough and nice to hear the ramp area has solid ice. Too bad the catching was so poor, hope you do better today.
(02-03-2021, 05:59 AM)MACMAN Wrote: Were they tagging fish for the tournament on Saturday?  They did that at Steinaker, but only one was turned in. We fished Echo on Sunday. Did pretty good. Got 7 trout. 3 of them were good ones. My bow was 23 1/2” 4lbs 7 oz. my boy got a 23” brown. Looking forward to the tournament. The ice was good on Sunday. It looked like the edges had been soft, but had hardened back up. I think we are good for a bit. The ice is hard and clear. 
Wow, those are some good fish, especially that big brown, nice. Was there any snow on the ice before this last storm? Good luck at the derby.