Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Strawberry ATV conditions
Heading up to Strawberry Friday afternoon with my nephew and his little boys. Thinking of bringing my Yamaha Rhino to get away from the masses but it can’t do very deep snow. Has anyone seen ATVs on Strawberry in the last couple of days? I have never used it ice fishing before so I’m kind of excited to try but if the snow is too deep we’ll just walk. Thanks!
(02-04-2021, 01:31 PM)Troutster Wrote: Heading up to Strawberry Friday afternoon with my nephew and his little boys. Thinking of bringing my Yamaha Rhino to get away from the masses but it can’t do very deep snow. Has anyone seen ATVs on Strawberry in the last couple of days? I have never used it ice fishing before so I’m kind of excited to try but if the snow is too deep we’ll just walk. Thanks!

I fished the Soldier Creek side on Tuesday.  The snow was ~6" deep and there was ~2-3" of slush, under the snow, in most of the areas we walked.
(02-04-2021, 08:31 PM)kentofnsl Wrote:
(02-04-2021, 01:31 PM)Troutster Wrote: Heading up to Strawberry Friday afternoon with my nephew and his little boys. Thinking of bringing my Yamaha Rhino to get away from the masses but it can’t do very deep snow. Has anyone seen ATVs on Strawberry in the last couple of days? I have never used it ice fishing before so I’m kind of excited to try but if the snow is too deep we’ll just walk. Thanks!

I fished the Soldier Creek side on Tuesday.  The snow was ~6" deep and there was ~2-3" of slush, under the snow, in most of the areas we walked.
Not sure how much of the Wednesday storm affected the area with new snow, but Friday looks to be stormy most the day with up to 3" of snow expected for, Heber.

Last Friday would have been easy with an ATV by the marina. No slush and very little snow. I don't know what the latest storms may have added. You might call the marina and ask them.
Thanks for the reports. I’ll report on the fishing and Rhino adventure.
How were the ice conditions on the lake? I'm heading up, tomorrow.
Sorry, didn’t jump back on soon enough. Ice was plenty thick. I took addicted2fishn’s advice and called the marina. The storm dumped more snow than the forecast so we got a friend with a snowmobile. My Rhino wouldn’t have gone 10 feet. There were some deep slushy spots that slowed the snow machine a bit but no big deal. Didn’t go where we wanted because of the whiteout conditions we were afraid we wouldn’t be able to find our way back in the dark. First hole was in 7 feet of water. Hmm? Better move. We ended up in 20 fow maybe 1/2 mile from the ramp. It was pretty good from 6-7:30 but we didn’t get a bite after 8. Kept marking fish but no bites. If I didn’t mark fish I just did some big jigging and they would almost immediately show up but wouldn’t bite after 8. Big glow tube jig, small glow tube jig, and glowing paddle bug tipped with something all worked well.