Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hungry for Starvation.
I'm planning to camp overnight sometime next week. I'm thinking rabbit Gulch or Juniper point. Can anyone share any info about ice and Road snow conditions? Seems like rabbit Gulch will be the best area to camp on the beach and hike out to fishing, any other suggestions?

Thanks!
Eric
This can give you road conditions. Just right click your mouse and drag to the area you want to look at. The camera right by Starvation show little snow. I believe it takes another  picture every 30 minutes.

https://udottraffic.utah.gov/
(02-05-2021, 06:36 PM)lovetofish Wrote: This can give you road conditions. Just right click your mouse and drag to the area you want to look at. The camera right by Starvation show little snow. I believe it takes another  picture every 30 minutes.

Nice that helps, thank you!

The vast majority of walleye I have caught over sandy flats in 10'-15' of water at night during the summer. Does anyone know if they same tactics/feeding patterns hold true in the winter? I appreciate any input and ill provide a report after my trip.
(02-05-2021, 09:09 PM)DailyAngler Wrote:
(02-05-2021, 06:36 PM)lovetofish Wrote: This can give you road conditions. Just right click your mouse and drag to the area you want to look at. The camera right by Starvation show little snow. I believe it takes another  picture every 30 minutes.

Nice that helps, thank you!

The vast majority of walleye I have caught over sandy flats in 10'-15' of water at night during the summer. Does anyone know if they same tactics/feeding patterns hold true in the winter? I appreciate any input and ill provide a report after my trip.
There does not seem to be any definitive pattern to the walleye in Starvation under the ice.  I have seen them caught at middepth in 40 feet of water, cruising the bottom in less than 20 feet and right on the bottom in 60 to 70 feet.  The only seeming continuity is that they cruise around looking for schools of small perch...of which there are precious few these days.  So if you can find an area with some perchlets there will probably be walleyes in the vicinity.

If you know Knight Hollow...at the upper end of the lake...try working out around the end of the long rock finger that runs to the west from the camp area shoreline.  There are almost always a few fish somewhere along that structure.
[Image: KNIGHT-HOLLOW-ACCESS.jpg][Image: KNIGHT-HOLLOW-LOW.jpg]

Nice thanks Tubedude, appreciate it! 
I almost forgot about that point in knight hollow, looks like an easy walk from shore. Around that point I caught my biggest eye 26.5" back in 2014.
With the warming weather im getting concerned about ice conditions. Anyone been recently? Will I need plank/s? Im going Monday and Tuesday.

Thanks
Eric
(02-07-2021, 07:43 AM)DailyAngler Wrote: With the warming weather im getting concerned about ice conditions. Anyone been recently? Will I need plank/s? Im going Monday and Tuesday.

Thanks
Eric

Please post an ice report think of trying it next weekend for a day.
Thank you,
Mildog
time spent fishing isn't deducted from ones life
I'm surprised that no one has posted up a report on the ice fishing tournament that was held last weekend.
(02-09-2021, 08:45 PM)gofish435 Wrote: I'm surprised that no one has posted up a report on the ice fishing tournament that was held last weekend.
I was thinking the same thing, guess no member won any prizes Undecided.
Went to knight hollow. Ice was a good 15 inch thick with a lot of Open Water near the tunnel Inlet and off of the point. There was a large crack about 300 yards offshore that was like 4 in wide and about 8 inches wide by the time I left. I didn't go much further, but the ice was well over a foot everywhere. I tried fishing everywhere from 7- 35 feet of water. I caught 5 footlong rainbows that were nice fat and colorful. In 20' on the bottom. Didnt mark many fish elsewhere.
[Image: 0209211038.jpg]
(02-11-2021, 06:11 AM)DailyAngler Wrote: Went to knight hollow. Ice was a good 15 inch thick with a lot of Open Water near the tunnel Inlet and off of the point. There was a large crack about 300 yards offshore that was like 4 in wide and about 8 inches wide by the time I left. I didn't go much further, but the ice was well over a foot everywhere. I tried fishing everywhere from 7- 35 feet of water. I caught 5 footlong rainbows that were nice fat and colorful. In 20' on the bottom. Didnt mark many fish elsewhere.
Wow, that is a chubby bow, good to see they are doing good. That lake has been a tough one to fish for warm water fish, for a number of years now. Hopefully things will turn around there but at least there are the bows to keep you entertained. What color jigs worked the best for you?
Thanks, they were all little fatties. Orange glow gizzy bug was by far the best. Caught one on a white cuttr bug. I fished sand flats. May do better near rocks.
(02-11-2021, 04:35 PM)DailyAngler Wrote: Thanks, they were all little fatties. Orange glow gizzy bug was by far the best. Caught one on a white cuttr bug. I fished sand flats. May do better near rocks.
The dot camera shows the snow is about gone..Can you tell me if the ice just south of the bridge is good to walk on?? Or fish on? Did you see any vehicles parked just off the bridge? Thankd.
I was in knight hollow, I have no idea about the bridge. I didn't see anyone in that area. I can only guess that its okay.