Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Scofield.....again
Yes, it's true..... I love Scofield as much as others love some lost areas in this great state.

Do I catch giant fish? No, not even close! But, I do catch a lot of fish and so do my 6-8 year old kids (by themselves), and that keeps the whole family sane, and nobody gets left on the ice to fend for themselves.

Driving to, Scofield, not a single snowflake hit the windshield. Pulling into the Madsen parking area there was not another soul to be seen at almost 0800.... Only my third time here this year, but normally there is already an army gathered in each bay and I'm playing catch up. I'll get the one downer out of the way, my personal snowmobile went FUBAR halfway across the lake and we left it for dead.

With fishing the priority, my traitor snowmobile sat abandoned for many many hours. We shuttled the family with a better more loyal snowmobile that is not mine. We set up in 20' of water and the fishing was super hot for 12-17" cutthroat. Green anything was absolutely great, but I also caught fish on orange or white shrimpo's. Pink 2" single tail grubs also caught fish. All were tipped with some kind of "worm", but it didn't seem to matter. We also caught some rainbow's and another single little skinny tiger was caught. And, to keep the streak alive, not a single chub- weird for us.

I was initially using my flasher/graph, but stopped because it was so much more fun to look down the drilled holes and watch the fish come from all angles and depths to hit your lure/bait. The kids absolutely loved being able to watch fish after fish dart and attack their lures. They caught more fish on their own than I've ever seen.

The ice is still good at 14" and 4" snow/2"slush. The edges are showing color through the snow, but still solid.

It snowed pretty much from when we got set and I'm sure continued after we left. It was a stay in your tent kind of day. There was little to no new accumulation when we left. I didn't see a single other person in the Madsen area until we were literally driving away. Some tents and groups were dotted around the lake, but they all came from other access locations, and there wasn't many. Saturday...... I expect the usual army of tents and families. This trip was like a throwback to early Covid where nobody was around.

Driving home..... apparently there was a much bigger snowstorm that hit everywhere north of Scofield. The roads were an absolute mess and there were a lot of cars off the road on highway 6.
"I love Scofield as much as others love some lost areas in this great state."

Nice comment to start your post!  I laughed out loud.  Besides the dead snowmobile, sounds like a lot of fun. My kids used to go with me when they were that age too, not so much now.  You're a great dad to get them out.
Thanks for another great report.  

It's hard not to go back when you know the kids are going to catch fish. Smile
(02-06-2021, 05:07 AM)TheOtherSide Wrote: Yes, it's true..... I love Scofield as much as others love some lost areas in this great state.

Do I catch giant fish? No, not even close! But, I do catch a lot of fish and so do my 6-8 year old kids (by themselves), and that keeps the whole family sane, and nobody gets left on the ice to fend for themselves.

Driving to, Scofield, not a single snowflake hit the windshield. Pulling into the Madsen parking area there was not another soul to be seen at almost 0800.... Only my third time here this year, but normally there is already an army gathered in each bay and I'm playing catch up. I'll get the one downer out of the way, my personal snowmobile went FUBAR halfway across the lake and we left it for dead.

With fishing the priority, my traitor snowmobile sat abandoned for many many hours. We shuttled the family with a better more loyal snowmobile that is not mine. We set up in 20' of water and the fishing was super hot for 12-17" cutthroat. Green anything was absolutely great, but I also caught fish on orange or white shrimpo's. Pink 2" single tail grubs also caught fish. All were tipped with some kind of "worm", but it didn't seem to matter. We also caught some rainbow's and another single little skinny tiger was caught. And, to keep the streak alive, not a single chub- weird for us.

I was initially using my flasher/graph, but stopped because it was so much more fun to look down the drilled holes and watch the fish come from all angles and depths to hit your lure/bait. The kids absolutely loved being able to watch fish after fish dart and attack their lures. They caught more fish on their own than I've ever seen.

The ice is still good at 14" and 4" snow/2"slush. The edges are showing color through the snow, but still solid.

It snowed pretty much from when we got set and I'm sure continued after we left. It was a stay in your tent kind of day. There was little to no new accumulation when we left. I didn't see a single other person in the Madsen area until we were literally driving away. Some tents and groups were dotted around the lake, but they all came from other access locations, and there wasn't many. Saturday...... I expect the usual army of tents and families. This trip was like a throwback to early Covid where nobody was around.

Driving home..... apparently there was a much bigger snowstorm that hit everywhere north of Scofield. The roads were an absolute mess and there were a lot of cars off the road on highway 6.

Scofield is great for the kids. They don't care about the size they just want to keep catching. We only caught one or two Chubs last year and not a single one this year. It's been a long process, but the size is starting to get better. I wonder if those fish will ever get back to normal size?
We were actually catching fish in the slot on this last trip, which we did not catch a single one at 15"+ last year. Last year the fish were looking rather thin, but they've been in pretty good shape this year- for cutt's that is. The couple tigers we've caught have been rather small and skinny.