Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Powerbait through the ice?
I've been getting lot's of action on powerbait when fishing it on the hard deck but my catch rates aren't the best. Was wondering how everyone rigs powerbait when ice fishing? I'm currently use a genz worm jig head and and just covering it all up with powerbait. My catch rates vary but probably average around 40% which is worse then my rate using a standard tube tipped with a mealie or other bait. 
Thanks in advance!
(02-10-2021, 10:44 PM)scartinez Wrote: I've been getting lot's of action on powerbait when fishing it on the hard deck but my catch rates aren't the best. Was wondering how everyone rigs powerbait when ice fishing? I'm currently use a genz worm jig head and and just covering it all up with powerbait. My catch rates vary but probably average around 40% which is worse then my rate using a standard tube tipped with a mealie or other bait. 
Thanks in advance!
There is no denying the magical attraction "power putty" has for troutkind.  But they have seemingly evolved to recognize when they can snarf the bait without getting the hook.  And when you use a single hook jig...upon which you mold a ball of the stuff...the fish can often pick it clean without paying the price.

Had a fellow tangler request that I make him some small treble hook jigs...for fishing one of the tournaments just across the border in Idaho.  Made these up on 1/8 oz. ultra minnow jigs...and size 10 trebles.  I seem to recall he won second place that year.  But I also know guys that put a small treble a few inches below some kind of flasher and that works too.  At least it keeps the bait on better than a single hook.  But I hate trebles.
[Image: PP-JIGS.jpg]
Some of the small Gitzit jigs have a spring body that is designed for molding power bait on. The spring holds the bait better than a treble hook and yet only has one hook.
On a few occasions, when nothing else seemed to be working, I have tried PowerBait on a jig. I have been able to get bites, but one only gets one hook set before the PowerBait is no longer on the hook. I would use a small ball of it (whether tipping a jig or fishing it any other way).
(02-10-2021, 10:44 PM)scartinez Wrote: I've been getting lot's of action on powerbait when fishing it on the hard deck but my catch rates aren't the best. Was wondering how everyone rigs powerbait when ice fishing? I'm currently use a genz worm jig head and and just covering it all up with powerbait. My catch rates vary but probably average around 40% which is worse then my rate using a standard tube tipped with a mealie or other bait. 
Thanks in advance!
When I fish with powerbait for trout during the warm weather, I do a couple of things.  I use a #8 size hook and open the gap slightly.  I use only enough powerbait to amply cover the hook and float it off the bottom.

I use a sliding weight with the terminal tackle and an "open" bail.  This is shore fishing if you didn't guess.

The bobber signals a bite and usually flies off the line.  The line is free to feed out until you decide to set the hook.

Now of course the fish are usually hooked deep, so you are going to be keeping fish you catch.

This method helps with getting more hook sets when you get a bite.

Once many years ago, I ice fished with powerbait at Jordanelle just off the main boat ramp.  I lowered the setup with powerbait to the bottom and let the bait float up off the bottom.  I caught some dead sticking, but I'm sure you could lift and drop once in awhile if needed for action.  I imagine you could use a drop shot setup to fish powerbait at different depths ice fishing.  I don't ice fish for trout or use powerbait (unless crappie nuggets).  Good luck!
Thanks in advance!
I use a small treble hook #12 form the power bait like a football shape on the hook. Split shot just above eye of hook. The football shape of the power bait allows the trout to suck it into mouth better. You can pinch the barbs down on the hook for easy releasing.
Thanks for the ideas, got to try something new.
I'll post some results next time I get out fishing.
My solution is simple, for ice fishing, I have gone to the powerbait nuggets or crappie nuggets, or even the powerbait eggs. I don't think they work as well as the dough but close, and they seem to stay on the hook better. Not sure why that is, might be my imagination. The big nuggets, I often pinch those in half.