Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Cat Chat 2021
Hey all you catfish fanatics Forest suggested we get a news post fixed up top for this years contest and I think it's a great idea... So this post will be open for all of your catfish contest related comments, gear tips, techniques, conditions reports and general good natured ribbing of fellow contestants...

I know there has been some interest on when the 2021 Catfish Contest will begin, so here is a date for you to plan on, March 15th, 2021 will be our official start to the contest, that is only about a month out, so it's time to get started planning your strategy for this year...  We will plan on the same contest rules this year, except we have filled up the little cat trophy with  winner plaques so I propose that we discontinue that contest and let our final year (2020) winner retain that trophy... Let me know your thoughts on that?  (Interest in that part of the contest isn't what it once was)

However, interest in the contest seems to be at an all time high, last year we had the most people ever to break the 90 point  level averaging 3 fish at 30"... I'm excited to see what this year will do... Seemed like a lot of big fish in Utah lake last year, be interesting to see if all those 28" fish that were caught turn into a ton of 30" plus fish this year down south... The north seemed a little short of big fish last year, so it will be tough for team north to fend off a southern repeat this year... Not to mention that team north seems to be less than half the size of the southern army... What will happen????

I'm interested in trying some new things this year and hope to discuss some of those ideas here and see what you think.. But for now I'll end this post, feel free to contribute and comment... Thanks Jeff
When things get stressful think I'll go fish'en and worry about it tomorrow!
(02-11-2021, 03:09 PM)SkunkedAgain Wrote: Hey all you catfish fanatics Forest suggested we get a news post fixed up top for this years contest and I think it's a great idea... So this post will be open for all of your catfish contest related comments, gear tips, techniques, conditions reports and general good natured ribbing of fellow contestants...

I know there has been some interest on when the 2021 Catfish Contest will begin, so here is a date for you to plan on, March 15th, 2021 will be our official start to the contest, that is only about a month out, so it's time to get started planning your strategy for this year...  We will plan on the same contest rules this year, except we have filled up the little cat trophy with  winner plaques so I propose that we discontinue that contest and let our final year (2020) winner retain that trophy... Let me know your thoughts on that?  (Interest in that part of the contest isn't what it once was)

However, interest in the contest seems to be at an all time high, last year we had the most people ever to break the 90 point  level averaging 3 fish at 30"... I'm excited to see what this year will do... Seemed like a lot of big fish in Utah lake last year, be interesting to see if all those 28" fish that were caught turn into a ton of 30" plus fish this year down south... The north seemed a little short of big fish last year, so it will be tough for team north to fend off a southern repeat this year... Not to mention that team north seems to be less than half the size of the southern army... What will happen????

I'm interested in trying some new things this year and hope to discuss some of those ideas here and see what you think.. But for now I'll end this post, feel free to contribute and comment... Thanks Jeff

Jeff, all sounds good to me. I just posted the Rules, you may want to read them, edit, then move up to top.  

Since I "won" the Small Cat last year, but I never picked up the trophy. I have the photos of it you sent, and that's sufficient. You can do what you will with the trophy.  
 Fixing to upload the new 2021 placard.   
"OCD = Obsessive Catfish Disorder "
    Or so it says on my license plate holder

Cool
In general I'm an old fashioned catfisher, I sit on the bank and wait for the cats to come to me... It takes lots of time and relies a lot on luck of picking the right areas to fish...

I have fished some from the boat that allows me to get to areas that I can't fish from the shore alone, and it opens new angles to drift my offering into areas, but typically I am still fishing from an anchored position and limited to the cats in the local area... 

I have also fished from my pontoon trolling slowly, I personally love this method of fishing because I'm able to cover a lot more country and find more fish in general per outing, however, this method doesn't work really well for quick trips or night trips and when the weeds grow up later in the summer it gets very difficult to do, since the weeds won't let you troll where you need to....  But with all that said I still love this method because its so fun when a cat grabs ahold and starts thrashing and tearing up the water like you have a big ole alligator on the end of the line...

Now for my thoughts:  I believe that catfish move in packs like roving bands of predators hunting for food.  When a pod comes through fishing gets good while they are in the area, but then they move on and you have the slow wait for the next group to come through...  My thought that I'm trying to develop is a way to find these pods and target them without having the long wait for them to come to me... I'm kicking around ideas like using a ladder or a drone to get a better view of what's happening from above, but with the water clarity of Cutler, you can't see into the water anyway, so that likely won't work... Sort of wishing I had a Mega 360 sonar that would help me see around my location, but you still have the problem of telling cats from carp...  What are your thoughts after my comments?  Am I up in the night?  Have you found a way to solve this mystery?  Any ideas of what to try?  Thanks Jeff
OK Jeff,  Cat contest rules and placard is uploaded on contest forum. You can move them up to the top thread box.  Let me know how they work.  

Cool
(02-11-2021, 03:51 PM)Tin-Can Wrote: OK Jeff,  Cat contest rules and placard is uploaded on contest forum. You can move them up to the top thread box.  Let me know how they work.  
Thank you very much Forest, sure appreciate that.... I'll get them reviewed and moved up as soon as I can...  Thanks Jeff
(02-11-2021, 03:42 PM)SkunkedAgain Wrote: In general I'm an old fashioned catfisher, I sit on the bank and wait for the cats to come to me... It takes lots of time and relies a lot on luck of picking the right areas to fish...

I have fished some from the boat that allows me to get to areas that I can't fish from the shore alone, and it opens new angles to drift my offering into areas, but typically I am still fishing from an anchored position and limited to the cats in the local area... 

I have also fished from my pontoon trolling slowly, I personally love this method of fishing because I'm able to cover a lot more country and find more fish in general per outing, however, this method doesn't work really well for quick trips or night trips and when the weeds grow up later in the summer it gets very difficult to do, since the weeds won't let you troll where you need to....  But with all that said I still love this method because its so fun when a cat grabs ahold and starts thrashing and tearing up the water like you have a big ole alligator on the end of the line...

Now for my thoughts:  I believe that catfish move in packs like roving bands of predators hunting for food.  When a pod comes through fishing gets good while they are in the area, but then they move on and you have the slow wait for the next group to come through...  My thought that I'm trying to develop is a way to find these pods and target them without having the long wait for them to come to me... I'm kicking around ideas like using a ladder or a drone to get a better view of what's happening from above, but with the water clarity of Cutler, you can't see into the water anyway, so that likely won't work... Sort of wishing I had a Mega 360 sonar that would help me see around my location, but you still have the problem of telling cats from carp...  What are your thoughts after my comments?  Am I up in the night?  Have you found a way to solve this mystery?  Any ideas of what to try?  Thanks Jeff
I do so well fishing Utah Lake that I don't like to catfish anywhere else.  I started keeping records last year and measuring and timing every fish. The big ones I weigh. I catch most in 2 foot of water and in the brush. I move if I don't get a bite in 30 minutes or so. It is so shallow that I don't use my sonar. But by noon or so they move out of the shallows. And if I still want to fish I hit Bird Island. I have never used sonar out there. Except to keep an eye on depth. But this year I have a camera. I don't know if the water will be clear enough to see in Utah lake either. But even at Bird I will usually only be in four foot or so of water. I got 64 in three two day trips last year. All under 29 inches.
I'm still sore from the beating we took from the South last year. I'm impressed and still jealous of that monster Lynn pulled out. The North will definitely be gunning for you guys this year.  

It is just a lot of fun pursuing big cats.  Hope there are still some left after the Covid crowds hammered the Bear last year.
March 15 sounds great Jeff,
There's Always Time For One More Cast
John, I can't believe it's almost go time again already, but even as nuts as I am for ice fishing, I'm still excited about the thoughts of chasing the kitties again... I just love the power of a big ole cat, they have a torque to them that just is a total blast to challenge.. 

Paul, I like you hope the cats will still be there, I think a lot of the new COVID anglers were more about catch and keep and I've really noticed a decrease in fish at Cutler... I don't know if that is pressure related, die off or what...  Last spring I posted about seeing large numbers of dead fish floating all over in the clay slough and then I posted about seeing sick looking fish all through the early contest... Then this winter I've went 0 and 16 for catching fish on the ice... Years past I don't think I ever went over two trips without catching a fish through the ice...  I'm very concerned about my home town fishery... Sure hope I don't have to drive south to find any good cats this year...  Not that I'm making excuses, we'll do our best to be a worthy challenge for the south...  I just prefer when the odds are in our favor...  Later Jeff

(02-11-2021, 08:09 PM)SkunkedAgain Wrote: John, I can't believe it's almost go time again already, but even as nuts as I am for ice fishing, I'm still excited about the thoughts of chasing the kitties again... I just love the power of a big ole cat, they have a torque to them that just is a total blast to challenge.. 

Paul, I like you hope the cats will still be there, I think a lot of the new COVID anglers were more about catch and keep and I've really noticed a decrease in fish at Cutler... I don't know if that is pressure related, die off or what...  Last spring I posted about seeing large numbers of dead fish floating all over in the clay slough and then I posted about seeing sick looking fish all through the early contest... Then this winter I've went 0 and 16 for catching fish on the ice... Years past I don't think I ever went over two trips without catching a fish through the ice...  I'm very concerned about my home town fishery... Sure hope I don't have to drive south to find any good cats this year...  Not that I'm making excuses, we'll do our best to be a worthy challenge for the south...  I just prefer when the odds are in our favor...  Later Jeff
Randy, I'm going to try fishing more in the bushes this year like you suggest..  I've had cats drag me into the phragmite  before and busted off, so I may have to learn how to pull them out of the weeds rather than letting them drag me into them.. Probably will depend of boat location I guess... thanks for the tips... Jeff
John, Paul,

Yep, Bear River was not as kind to us last year. Possibly for a few reasons, but the biggest one was the massive increase in fishing pressure due to the covid shutdown.   Hopefully that will let up at least a little bit this year. 

We have put our names in for the contest again this year, but won't be dedicating quite as much time . And I don't think I'll be putting the boat on the river as much this year.  Depends on water level and flow.
At the end of the season last year, I took rig in to get new trailer tires and wheel bearings repacked with new grease.  The mechanic at Les Schwab found alot of fine grit / sand in under the bearing caps. 
 I've done bearing maintenance on my trailer every 2 years at least. Have always had grease that was dirty, and a couple times had hard wear evidence on both outer and inner bearings, but never found sand in the old grease. 
[b]Took me awhile to figure out where that may have come from, and best I can figure: I put the boat in at the BRBR ramp more times last year than years before.  Several times, in order to float the boat, the trailer axle was into mud. That mud was pretty silted and had lots of grit.  Each time I left the river , I stopped on the way home at a car wash and did high pressure clear water wash to remove all the mud from trailer and bottom of boat hull. But that didn't help the bearings. [/b]

[b]Good luck to you both.  [/b]

Cool
santee rig all year!
(02-11-2021, 04:45 PM)fast_randy Wrote:
(02-11-2021, 03:42 PM)SkunkedAgain Wrote: In general I'm an old fashioned catfisher, I sit on the bank and wait for the cats to come to me... It takes lots of time and relies a lot on luck of picking the right areas to fish...

I do so well fishing Utah Lake that I don't like to catfish anywhere else.  I started keeping records last year and measuring and timing every fish. The big ones I weigh. I catch most in 2 foot of water and in the brush. I move if I don't get a bite in 30 minutes or so. It is so shallow that I don't use my sonar. But by noon or so they move out of the shallows. And if I still want to fish I hit Bird Island. I have never used sonar out there. Except to keep an eye on depth. But this year I have a camera. I don't know if the water will be clear enough to see in Utah lake either. But even at Bird I will usually only be in four foot or so of water. I got 64 in three two day trips last year. All under 29 inches.

Hey, Randy, I just have two things to say to you. Sign up for Team South. And let's get together this year and you can show me the fine points of the way you fish and I can show you how we drag for fish.
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.

(02-16-2021, 10:40 PM)catchinon Wrote:
(02-11-2021, 04:45 PM)fast_randy Wrote:

Hey, Randy, I just have two things to say to you. Sign up for Team South. And let's get together this year and you can show me the fine points of the way you fish and I can show you how we drag for fish.

Craig, you doing some recruiting ?  Team South is already 3 people ahead of North    Dodgy 

Cool
Yeah, well, every good team needs to be constantly recruiting. And yes, we will again have more members than the North has but your top guys always give us fits, I'll admit that.

If you think I'm recruiting now just wait till I make my free boat offer again. {;-)}
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.

Already picking up some bait.  Today's catch.[Image: 20210219-153201.jpg]

how to detect screen resolution in javascript
(02-20-2021, 04:34 AM)Jig-fisher Wrote: Already picking up some bait.  Today's catch.[Image: 20210219-153201.jpg]

how to detect screen resolution in javascript

Paul,  have you been down along the BRBR ?  Still iced up ?  

Cool
No, I haven't been out there.  I really doubt it is iced up.  Willard is free of ice and the Bear up through Tremonton is ice free.
(02-21-2021, 03:12 AM)Jig-fisher Wrote: No, I haven't been out there.  I really doubt it is iced up.  Willard is free of ice and the Bear up through Tremonton is ice free.

OK  thanks

Cool
Looks like good bait to me Paul, hope it finds the big ones. Boy it’s getting close to go time. Good luck! J
I just dropped my boat off today to the shop to get a bow mount trolling motor and a new fish finder put on. I'm not mechanically inclined and they offered me a great deal. I was going to buy one and have a friend help me but they had a used one a year old only used a couple times for 1/3 of the price of they installed. What the heck. So I'm pretty stoked about getting into that game this year and trolling for cats. I'll turn this big fiberglass ski boat into a fishing boat before I'm through lol