Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Navionics app.
I have a question about navionics,  when you get the app and pay the subscription for the year, if you drop it the next year do you loose the data you have gathered.?
I have Navionics for the GPS side of my sonar unit. Bought it as part of the package with the new sonar unit. Navionics comes on a micro sd card with a years subscription. I do the updates for that year but rarely to never renew after expiration. It doesn't effect my sd card, if I were to possibly use this GPS on the road routing it might be worth the the updates since new roads are always built. I haven't seen much in changes in most lakes we venture to here. I have seen the formats change in some cards. In my opinion no need to update lake maps after a year. I do have a TomTom for our vehicles that have a lifetime subscription. The lifetime doesn't include your lifetime, only the unit itself. I have an older TomTom also that's  15yrs+ old that can no longer take updates to its memory but still works. If the app you have is for another device such as a cell phone I would think since you purchased that app it that it will continue to operate after subscription expires. 
[Image: P3100003.jpg]
Harrisville UT
2000 7.3L F250 Superduty  '07 Columbia 2018 Fisherman XL Raymarine Element 9HV 4 Electric Walker Downriggers Uniden Solara VHF
I also have the Navionics chip installed in my boats sonar unit.  I get the half cost (~$100) upgraded chip every year for mine.  I think being able to update the software on a daily/weekly/monthly basis and getting the latest features as they are released is worth it for me.  I understand that this may not be a plus for others.  And a $100 bucks buys  a good amount of tackle.   Big Grin

But I think the OP was asking about the phone/tablet app that has an annual subscription of about $15.  I have that app as well and it works great on my android phone.  Lots of nice features and has contours for most of the lakes I ice fish on.  Stores waypoints & tracks, and can download map sections for use in those areas that don't have cell coverage.  Again, I think it is a bargain even though I might only have use of it for 3 months max out of the year.  It sure puts me on a bunch of fish by being able to find structure, contours, depths, and old channels.  It is money well spent IMHO.
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I'm 81 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms."
I have 3 fish finders on my, boat so I use 3 different maps.
Lake master, Garmin maps and Navionics which garmin owns.

the Navionics is about 7 years old and still works good.
3 years ago I bought one for $45  last year the sd card went bad  (maybe something I did) so went back to the old one 
I use to record a lot of the lakes I fished and sent them in to Navionic,
Deer creek I maped a lot where I fished, what I did for navionics I think it helped there maps out a lot and made them better.
(02-13-2021, 03:16 PM)dubob Wrote: I also have the Navionics chip installed in my boats sonar unit.  I get the half cost (~$100) upgraded chip every year for mine.  I think being able to update the software on a daily/weekly/monthly basis and getting the latest features as they are released is worth it for me.  I understand that this may not be a plus for others.  And a $100 bucks buys  a good amount of tackle.   Big Grin

But I think the OP was asking about the phone/tablet app that has an annual subscription of about $15.  I have that app as well and it works great on my android phone.  Lots of nice features and has contours for most of the lakes I ice fish on.  Stores waypoints & tracks, and can download map sections for use in those areas that don't have cell coverage.  Again, I think it is a bargain even though I might only have use of it for 3 months max out of the year.  It sure puts me on a bunch of fish by being able to find structure, contours, depths, and old channels.  It is money well spent IMHO.

Yes I am interested in the app for my android phone. Thank you for your response that is what I wanted. Have you ever stopped the subscription,  and lost its usage.?
(02-13-2021, 02:43 AM)doitall5000 Wrote: I have a question about navionics,  when you get the app and pay the subscription for the year, if you drop it the next year do you loose the data you have gathered.?

I have the app on my phone, which is not the same as the chip in the sonar.

The data you accumulate is stored on your phone (unless you upload it publicly).  So you don't necessarily lose the data.  But if you don't have the subscription, you lose the ability to use that data with the Navionics service, which is the same result as losing your data.  

So functionally, yes, you lose your data if you don't maintain the subscription.  You'll also lose it if you change phones.  I bet you can guess how I know that.
(02-14-2021, 12:33 AM)Downriggerer Wrote:
(02-13-2021, 02:43 AM)doitall5000 Wrote: I have a question about navionics,  when you get the app and pay the subscription for the year, if you drop it the next year do you loose the data you have gathered.?

The data you accumulate is stored on your phone (unless you upload it publicly).  So you don't necessarily lose the data.  But if you don't have the subscription, you lose the ability to use that data with the Navionics service, which is the same result as losing your data.  

So functionally, yes, you lose your data if you don't maintain the subscription.  You'll also lose it if you change phones.  I bet you can guess how I know that.

Thanks do you think it's worth the cost??
(02-13-2021, 04:38 PM)doitall5000 Wrote: Have you ever stopped the subscription,  and lost its usage.?
I have not.
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I started the 2 week free trail about..... 2 weeks ago. I thought the content gained through the phone app is going to be well worth the money.
(02-14-2021, 12:50 AM)doitall5000 Wrote:
(02-14-2021, 12:33 AM)Downriggerer Wrote:

Thanks do you think it's worth the cost??

I don't like paying for a lot of app stuff.  I also hate subscription models.

But I would pay double for this app and still think I was getting a great deal for the relative value I get from it.
Well my son talked me in buying this expensive phone so I think I'll put it to good use. Thank you downrigger!!
[Image: all-strawberry-jpeg-300.png]this is on my PC it is free
https://webapp.navionics.com/?lang=en#bo...%7CsFxfieT
[Image: strawberry-nav.jpg]
(02-14-2021, 08:53 PM)liketrolling Wrote: [Image: all-strawberry-jpeg-300.png]this is on my PC it is free
https://webapp.navionics.com/?lang=en#bo...%7CsFxfieT
[Image: strawberry-nav.jpg]
Very difficult to mount a PC to a snowmobile or SnowDog Robert.  My android phone is easy peasy to mount on the dog handlebar.   Big Grin
Bob Hicks, from Utah
Here is my experience as my subscription expired in January. This is part of Newton Reservoir, one of the lakes I had downloaded. If you click through to the image, you can see the title "Navionics+ Expired" across the top of the screen.

[Image: image.png]

web phim
(02-14-2021, 08:47 PM)doitall5000 Wrote: Well my son talked me in buying this expensive phone so I think I'll put it to good use. Thank you downrigger!!

Good luck!

Last year in Alaska I was coming in one halibut light due to a stuck anchor burning off a good chunk of my day and a raft of kelp that tore up all my gear.  I had a 45 minute drive back to "civilization" but I wasn't happy I was light a halibut.

I looked on my Navionics app as I was running back in for what kind of bottom we'd be going over as we were running, and also to help with my heading and time/distance to destination.  I rented a boat that doesn't have some of the luxuries my boat enjoys.

I saw a nice dropoff that was going to be right under where we were going.  As we got there, I dropped a herring that hit the bottom 1 time before a 60 lb halibut jumped on.  

I never would have put that fish in the box and my freezer if I didn't have the Navionics app on my phone.  I can cruise around on my phone, any time, save gas, and plan out trips and locations before I get anywhere near the water.  It's definitely worth it $15 a year for me.
(02-15-2021, 04:26 PM)Downriggerer Wrote:
(02-14-2021, 08:47 PM)doitall5000 Wrote: Well my son talked me in buying this expensive phone so I think I'll put it to good use. Thank you downrigger!!

Good luck!

Last year in Alaska I was coming in one halibut light due to a stuck anchor burning off a good chunk of my day and a raft of kelp that tore up all my gear.  I had a 45 minute drive back to "civilization" but I wasn't happy I was light a halibut.

I looked on my Navionics app as I was running back in for what kind of bottom we'd be going over as we were running, and also to help with my heading and time/distance to destination.  I rented a boat that doesn't have some of the luxuries my boat enjoys.

I saw a nice dropoff that was going to be right under where we were going.  As we got there, I dropped a herring that hit the bottom 1 time before a 60 lb halibut jumped on.  

I never would have put that fish in the box and my freezer if I didn't have the Navionics app on my phone.  I can cruise around on my phone, any time, save gas, and plan out trips and locations before I get anywhere near the water.  It's definitely worth it $15 a year for me.

Does your phone app plot your GPS location over you map as you move around on the water?
(02-15-2021, 07:23 PM)doitall5000 Wrote:
(02-15-2021, 04:26 PM)Downriggerer Wrote:

Good luck!

Does your phone app plot your GPS location over you map as you move around on the water?

Yes.  It will do estimated fuel consumption, distance and time to destination, heading, time to waypoint, etc.  

One of my favorite features is you can highlight a particular depth range where you want to fish and it will show you anything that fits your depth criteria on the map.

I have needed a new spot many times and looked on the app for something close by that looked workable.  Within a few taps, I have a few new spots to check out.
(02-15-2021, 07:23 PM)doitall5000 Wrote: Does your phone app plot your GPS location over you map as you move around on the water?
Yes
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I'm a little late to the party, but I have let my subscription expire and you do keep your old maps, but you don't get any new updates, and at this point in time with all the folks loading new lake data from their finders, the maps just keep getting better all the time, so it's worth it to keep the current data flowing... I just need to get it done... Later Jeff
When things get stressful think I'll go fish'en and worry about it tomorrow!