Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ice-off plans 2021
For those of us that fly fish flat water, what reservoirs are you looking forward to hitting this year? I've got my sights on Minersville first, followed with Otter Creek next and then Panguitch. Hoping Minersville will open up in a few weeks, weather is trending up! Got the new camper last year, so plan on staying the weekend at each place when I hear they are open. May hit Kolob, but the lack of size in there yet makes it hard to hit it. The numbers up there are great, so I'm hoping by this fall the average size will get up around 16-18". Until then, just spending my time tying and organizing...can't get here soon enough! 

[Image: Pics-Art-03-18-01-45-16.jpg]
(02-16-2021, 07:48 PM)richyd4u Wrote: For those of us that fly fish flat water, what reservoirs are you looking forward to hitting this year? I've got my sights on Minersville first, followed with Otter Creek next and then Panguitch. Hoping Minersville will open up in a few weeks, weather is trending up! Got the new camper last year, so plan on staying the weekend at each place when I hear they are open. May hit Kolob, but the lack of size in there yet makes it hard to hit it. The numbers up there are great, so I'm hoping by this fall the average size will get up around 16-18". Until then, just spending my time tying and organizing...can't get here soon enough! 

Well if I lived down south those would be the reservoirs I'd hit too.

If you've got the itch I heard Newcastle is ice free.

I'll just keep going to Deer Creek and waiting for Starvation, Scofield, Huntington North, & Millsite to soften up.
You slay those big boys at ice off bro! Good luck this year.
My trip over to Blue Lake is high on the list and Cookie loves her spring run over to the Gorge to get some bows and pups for the smoker. I hope a spring run to Powell is still possible. That is a fun run.
Remember: keep the lid on the worms, share your jerky, and stop by to say hi to Cookie and the Cowboy-Pirate crew
Smith Morehouse, I have never caught a Grayling. Did the big fail last year up at Marjorie.
(02-17-2021, 11:55 PM)Troutster Wrote: Smith Morehouse, I have never caught a Grayling. Did the big fail last year up at Marjorie.
Funny story about Marjorie...my father was on a boy scout hike/fishing trip back in the early 80's, back when Marjorie wasn't even on the Uinta map...they were camped at Long Lake, and my Dad hiked off one evening by himself to explore and came across this lake that was boiling with grayling (it was Marjorie). Ever since then, we made the annual hike into Marjorie to catch our fill of grayling. Dad always called it his "secret lake" before finding out it was called Marjorie. Now it's no secret, lol...but I miss that little lake and those grayling cast after cast on dries. So fun!

(02-17-2021, 06:55 AM)remo_5_0 Wrote: You slay those big boys at ice off bro! Good luck this year.
 Thanks Man....getting close! You still out in Florida?

(02-16-2021, 09:21 PM)gofish435 Wrote:
(02-16-2021, 07:48 PM)richyd4u Wrote: For those of us that fly fish flat water, what reservoirs are you looking forward to hitting this year? I've got my sights on Minersville first, followed with Otter Creek next and then Panguitch. Hoping Minersville will open up in a few weeks, weather is trending up! Got the new camper last year, so plan on staying the weekend at each place when I hear they are open. May hit Kolob, but the lack of size in there yet makes it hard to hit it. The numbers up there are great, so I'm hoping by this fall the average size will get up around 16-18". Until then, just spending my time tying and organizing...can't get here soon enough! 

Well if I lived down south those would be the reservoirs I'd hit too.

If you've got the itch I heard Newcastle is ice free.

I'll just keep going to Deer Creek and waiting for Starvation, Scofield, Huntington North, & Millsite to soften up.

Yeah, Newcastle never freezes over...bows there are ok, we get some around 16" or so. The smallies and wipers are fun, but they won't get going until spring. How's Deer Creek been fishing for ya?
(02-18-2021, 12:48 AM)richyd4u Wrote: Yeah, Newcastle never freezes over...bows there are ok, we get some around 16" or so. The smallies and wipers are fun, but they won't get going until spring. How's Deer Creek been fishing for ya?

We have had some luck at DC but we have had to work for them.  We have been getting some fairly good rainbows in 14" - 19" range with a 19" and 21" brown thrown in the mix.  It's the only place up north where we can still float our boats.  We are going to hit it again on Monday after the storms pass by.

One of the guys I fish with has some friends down south that fished Newcastle last week in their toons and caught some rainbows up to 18".  They were surprised by their size.  Like you said they had only caught smaller fish there in the past.

Good luck when ice out comes your way. Smile