Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Everglades trip is set....
Headed down to the Everglades on the 4th and 5th...we are doing the roadside fishing trip along US 41 (Tamiami Trail) canal system. Starting on the east side for Peacock Bass and other freshwater species and working our way west towards the salt for some snook and tarpon. Should be a good few days of fishing, beer and cigars. Maybe the next trip one of us will drag a skiff down and we’ll fish 10,000 islands.
Mike, sounds like tough work, but someone has to do it?
(02-17-2021, 02:03 PM)kentofnsl Wrote: Mike, sounds like tough work, but someone has to do it?

hopefully I’ll have some pics to post, I haven’t been out much lately....wind has been howling and the weather a bit cool on my weekends, hopefully March starts to warm things up!
Please post some updates and photos along the way so the rest of us can live vicariously through them...
Remember: keep the lid on the worms, share your jerky, and stop by to say hi to Cookie and the Cowboy-Pirate crew
(02-17-2021, 06:59 AM)remo_5_0 Wrote: Headed down to the Everglades on the 4th and 5th...we are doing the roadside fishing trip along US 41 (Tamiami Trail) canal system. Starting on the east side for Peacock Bass and other freshwater species and working our way west towards the salt for some snook and tarpon. Should be a good few days of fishing, beer and cigars. Maybe the next trip one of us will drag a skiff down and we’ll fish 10,000 islands.

Dude, I'm jealous! I've got to make it down there to FL some day....good luck!
https://youtu.be/Q_EJ7uCvjWE

Still in Florida Buddy, this is a nice quick video that someone put together about fishing the “Trail”
(02-18-2021, 01:34 PM)remo_5_0 Wrote: https://youtu.be/Q_EJ7uCvjWE

Still in Florida Buddy, this is a nice quick video that someone put together about fishing the “Trail”

Cool vid catching those little tarpon, that'd be a blast!
(02-17-2021, 06:59 AM)remo_5_0 Wrote: Headed down to the Everglades on the 4th and 5th...we are doing the roadside fishing trip along US 41 (Tamiami Trail) canal system. Starting on the east side for Peacock Bass and other freshwater species and working our way west towards the salt for some snook and tarpon. Should be a good few days of fishing, beer and cigars. Maybe the next trip one of us will drag a skiff down and we’ll fish 10,000 islands.

Everybody should get a chance to fish the Tampa to Miami Trail. However it's is heavily fished for sustenance because it's close to over 4 million people of Broward and Miami Dade Counties. It's certainly not the remote wilderness that the YouTuber makes it out to be. I'd pull up Paulypro's old post on this site. A lot of the places he fished are recognizable from the background or info he gave.
In the winter the most reliable places for Tarpon are in 10,000 Islands. Pavillion Key if coming out of Everglades City or Chokoloskee. Fish the backside toward the mainland. If you're coming out of Flamingo head to Cape Sable. The lower campground isn't the best place for motor boats. Access that with a kayak. The next campground up on the Cape is fine for motorboats. Now those aren't typically baby tarpon so you need to be prepared to have any chance. If you go out of Flamingo, there are south faces flats that warm up in the morning sun in winter that seem to be overlooked. If you hug the coastline between Bradley Key and Clubhouse beach you'll find some fine sight fishing opportunities this time of year.
A lot of flooding and freshwater flowing in this winter will probable change the salinity in the Tamiami Canal enough to have fish moving from their typical locations. I'd hit up some local fishing shops for recent reports. Good Luck!
[Image: F5-C9393-C-2-BF4-4-E99-9-AD4-1-A3-A93-E6-C877.jpg] [Image: 3-B7-A4128-CCB1-478-D-9741-F18-CA2-C795-F1.jpg] [Image: 19-D73-A51-BE84-45-DC-B9-F4-3700-A4-DFD7-E8.jpg] [Image: 98-E5-CA9-D-7169-4-AD9-B407-F4-C2731-C19-DF.jpg] [Image: ABAF4-AFB-4890-4590-AD77-E6-E8964-D5194.jpg] [Image: 81-F279-B5-EED0-4-D44-BEED-2324137-F259-F.jpg] [Image: 24-E8-D6-AB-8-B12-427-B-AF30-5-F817-AB41993.jpg] [Image: 43-AAF912-8-A44-49-EE-B034-7040-B422642-A.jpg]

Fished the Tamiami trail Thursday and Friday, we got into the peacock and largemouth bass on the east side and never made it back to the salt. Stayed the night in Everglades City (awesome fishing town) and fished all day Friday. The amount of fish and gators in that canal is incredible!! Crystal clear water, it is like fishing in an aquarium. We fly fished and used spinning gear. I will head back again soon.