Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
FG fishing buddy
My brother and I have been trying to go to Flaming Gorge all season and we just can't get our schedules to sync. So I'm wanting to find someone to go with. I'm available practically anytime after tomorrow until March 15. Anybody want to go with me or willing to let me tag along?
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.

Craig the reports for ice at FG have really gotten wonky in the last couple weeks. Lots of wind action with the warmer temps have caused some risky ice in a number of places. Be careful. I hope someone with recent experience can chime in with an update and some good options for you.
Remember: keep the lid on the worms, share your jerky, and stop by to say hi to Cookie and the Cowboy-Pirate crew
Thanks Lance. I've been in touch with Ryno who probably knows as much as anybody about FG. The north end is still good ice for now. I am probably about as cautious as anybody about ice and will keep abreast of conditions.
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.

I fished uplake around Brinegar Ferry Crossing on Friday. Of course the wind picked up around noon and rocked us pretty good. We finally left about 3PM. A lot of the lake was skimmed over in the morning, but the wind took care of that. The Brinegar Ferry launch opened up to where it was almost useable. There was a sheet of ice above there, extending across the lake, but open water above that sheet in the vicinity of Lowe Canyon. When I drove out, I could also see a lot of open water on the south end of Breeze Hill and throughout Big Bend. North of Buckboard I could see people on the ice, including half a dozen shelters in the main channel. I'm not sure what the wind has done the last couple of days up there, but I would be very cautious on any ice south of Buckboard. Based on one report I read last night from just south of the Confluence, the ice was still 8-10 inches, and laker fishing was fair. The angler reported one bad pressure ridge, but otherwise favorable ice conditions.

That's the latest and greatest, hope it helps, Ryno
Hey Ryan, thank you for the update... It's held up longer than I thought it would... Later Jeff
When things get stressful think I'll go fish'en and worry about it tomorrow!
There's 24 inches of ice at Firehole.

Just came back, it is slick. Fished south of fire hole on the on the peninsula.

Thick, clear ice. Few pressure ridges.. the wind last weekend was just insane. We improvised, but being confined to the tent slowed the burbot catch rate.
[Image: IMG-1762.jpg]