Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
From small project to big
End of the summer I decided o upgrade two Dr’s to cannons and had a buddy who is a fabricator build me some pedestals for all 4 downriggers. So after looking at the existing DR mounting plates the die grinder came out and they were removed along with the short sections of railing. Of course now I needed some holes plug welded in the aluminum and the zolatone paint was going to need to be redone which led to other items that needed to be removed. so after a week or so of removing everything on and in the boat I was ready to have the welder fill the holes and then start the sanding and other prep needed. Well today was the day to spray and a big shout out to Bduck for the tips and then coming up to give me a hand along with the use of his spray gun needed for spraying the Zolatone. I think it came out really good, after a few days curing time I will start reinstalling all the stuff and will be ready for the boat season. The 1st 2 pics are what started the project

[Image: 24161-DB1-E64-A-48-C3-BF6-F-BBA7-B9-ED88-A8.jpg] [Image: E38-EBD03-08-AA-433-A-954-E-02712-C6-FDE5-F.jpg] [Image: FAAA8-E7-C-8-A65-4114-A8-C8-2-A3-D6-C86-E582.jpg] [Image: CCCAA8-D3-D0-C8-4481-BF5-D-8-B1-E98-EA4-A2-C.jpg] [Image: 463-CEB4-B-7-EA1-4139-9-FAA-B9-B3641-BD5-FB.jpg] [Image: B5-A03-A6-D-CFA6-48-CB-9317-A52-BAB9-C1-EE5.jpg] [Image: 3-EE9-B1-AD-2723-4-A4-C-872-A-1-ABE2-D6-AC686.jpg] [Image: 87-FB65-D6-28-B8-470-B-BBD7-43-B3-FCDEE619.jpg] [Image: 646-C2-AC9-ADCF-4-F7-D-8-B81-7685-FDF8-EC69.jpg]
The results of the paint job turned out GREAT. Glad I was able to contribute. Time to put together a fishing schedule and put some blood & guts on the fresh coat.  Big Grin
[Image: P3100003.jpg]
Harrisville UT
2000 7.3L F250 Superduty  '07 Columbia 2018 Fisherman XL Raymarine Element 9HV 4 Electric Walker Downriggers Uniden Solara VHF
Great job Alan and Roger, the boat looks great, thanks for sharing your project with us.
(03-07-2021, 01:17 AM)wiperhunter2 Wrote: Great job Alan and Roger, the boat looks great, thanks for sharing your project with us.
Thanks Curt, I was getting nervous with the warming weather and the ice starting to go but not warm enough to paint it. Get ready to go chase so fish on it
Hey that looks pretty nifty. Turned out well. Would you mind sharing a little info on that product? Is it a textured, grippy finish? Similar to a rhino liner, or closer to a hard enamel type finish? Does it go over bare metal, or does it require a primer base? I plan on researching online, but experience from an actual user is usually helpful.
Alan did a phenomenal job in prepping this job. I know what he was feeling when he started to take this on. When you hit that point it becomes the "point of no going back" and pressing fwd having it ready for paint. Having a descent warm day helps with a breeze to keep the shop ventilated from paint fumes and getting a paint high, we did wear ventilators. I became a fan of using a pressure pot paint gun which helps force the paint thru nozzle, siphon guns are ok if your able to thin paint enough to spray. Alan had a pressure pot gun we dedicated to the epoxy primer and the one I have handled the zolatone coat.  Cool  
[Image: P3100003.jpg]
Harrisville UT
2000 7.3L F250 Superduty  '07 Columbia 2018 Fisherman XL Raymarine Element 9HV 4 Electric Walker Downriggers Uniden Solara VHF
(03-07-2021, 03:46 PM)EyLayo Wrote: Hey that looks pretty nifty. Turned out well. Would you mind sharing a little info on that product? Is it a textured, grippy finish? Similar to a rhino liner, or closer to a hard enamel type finish? Does it go over bare metal, or does it require a primer base? I plan on researching online, but experience  from an actual user is usually helpful.
Zolatone is the product (it’s kind of between a hard enamel and Rhino) and is used or has been on cars to line the trunk and aluminum boat builders use it in high wear areas. You can also apply a clear over it from zolatone that is supposed to make it harder to chip or scratch. Rhino liner is tougher IMO and has a course finish compared to the zolatone but it is easier to clean then Rhino. I guess I would describe the Finnish as more of a eggshell type, not slick with nonskid properties. It can be applied over bare metal or existing paint, both have to be sanded with 160 grit or more course sand paper. For bare aluminum you use an acid self etching primer, for what I was doing the automotive paint shop where I got the material had a 2 part epoxy primer that would also work on bare metal (same material Roger used on his boat last summer) but I did get some rattle cans of self etching primer just to use on the bare metal spots I had and then covered the whole area with the epoxy primer. The work is in the removal and prep, after doing it (thanks to Roger being here and guiding me) the primer and zolatone application was the easy part and it’s very forgiving so you don’t need to be an experienced spray guy IMO. If you decide to do it and need a hand let me know I’d be glad to come over and pay it forward.

(03-07-2021, 03:58 PM)Bduck Wrote: Alan did a phenomenal job in prepping this job. I know what he was feeling when he started to take this on. When you hit that point it becomes the "point of no going back" and pressing fwd having it ready for paint. Having a descent warm day helps with a breeze to keep the shop ventilated from paint fumes and getting a paint high, we did wear ventilators. I became a fan of using a pressure pot paint gun which helps force the paint thru nozzle, siphon guns are ok if your able to thin paint enough to spray. Alan had a pressure pot gun we dedicated to the epoxy primer and the one I have handled the zolatone coat.  Cool  
Well having someone to ask questions about the process sure made the comfort level go up, having a spotter and someone to help with keeping the gun loaded made a big difference
Thanks for that 2knots, and I appreciate the offer. I’m in the info gathering stage currently, but will likely contact you with more ?’s and advice when the installation phase gets closer. Thanks again
Waiting for a replacement wiper motor and a couple of fittings for the wash down system and it’s 100%
[Image: 853-ADA94-BCCF-4567-ABEA-672-E21-CDECBD.jpg]
Really looks nice Alan, just like a brand new boat... congratulations on a job well done... Kokes better watch out now... Later Jeff
When things get stressful think I'll go fish'en and worry about it tomorrow!
Looks great guys. Beautiful work.