Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Beaver Fun
Now that I got your attention, lol....headed back west of Beaver for more fun this weekend. I knew the weather was gonna be crap, but sometimes those days are the best...and this trip proved it. Another stellar day between rain/sleet/snow storms. Had to ride the weather out a few times in my truck, but every time the weather past, I just nailed them. Started the day in my usual spot, along with another 30 fly fishermen...it's no secret, lol. The wind go so bad that I had to make a move and I ventured down into a cove that was protected from the wind, an area I had never fished before. Had that whole area to myself, which was nice. Every fish I caught in that corner was quality spawning class! Ended up around 30 spawners for the day, all on the usual flies fished the usual way. Fished until I couldn't feel my fingers anymore around 6pm just before another big storm was coming in. Females are still holding their eggs, but just barely...should have another week or so to still get into them like this. Plan to be back there this next weekend...supposed to much nicer weather! 

[Image: Screenshot-20210320-182758-Video-Player.jpg]

[Image: Screenshot-20210320-154334-Video-Player.jpg]

[Image: Screenshot-20210320-182817-Video-Player.jpg]

[Image: Screenshot-20210320-144028-Video-Player.jpg]

[Image: Screenshot-20210320-144102-Video-Player.jpg]

[Image: Screenshot-20210320-144145-Video-Player.jpg]
Really nice bows.
Remember: keep the lid on the worms, share your jerky, and stop by to say hi to Cookie and the Cowboy-Pirate crew
I thought someone said that the lake got fished out by ice fishermen?

seems there are still a few fish left. Now if we can just get some water -- if you were ever thinking about making a trip to Minersville, I think this would be the year to do it. I certainly wouldn't wait until 2022.
(03-24-2021, 01:36 PM)PBH Wrote: I thought someone said that the lake got fished out by ice fishermen?

seems there are still a few fish left.  Now if we can just get some water -- if you were ever thinking about making a trip to Minersville, I think this would be the year to do it.  I certainly wouldn't wait until 2022.
DWR did it’s annual gill net count last week. The lake is as good as it has ever been for both size health and numbers of Rainbows.

7 eighty foot long nets were set, five foot wide, or you might say deep. The size of the net mesh is mostly sized to catch larger fish, although there are lesser sections on each net sized to be capable to catch smaller fish including large chubs.

They were set at various different locations around the lake. One end set at the shore then strung towards deep water.

Of the 7 nets set their was an average of 38 rainbows per net with get this,, an average size close to 20 inches.

No Browns or Cuts.

1 Small Mouth

no largemouth 

1 big wiper escaped at the last second.

No chubs

The way the nets are set you can not get a picture of the Bass or Wiper population.

The heaviest nets did not come from the area where everyone fishes this time of year.

The delta end for big black hookjawed males.

The lake is managed for Trophies size Rainbows, and in that the DWR is killing it.
Where do you live richy. I live in antimony right on otter creek reservoir perhaps we could meet up and fish some time
(07-29-2021, 12:06 PM)Rusty hook Wrote: Where do you live richy. I live in antimony  right on otter creek reservoir perhaps we could meet up and fish some time

Absolutely...I live in Hurricane, UT. Too bad what's going on with the OC this year, although it has been on a steady decline over the last couple years. Looking bleak for most trout waters in the area. I've been fishing Panguitch mostly this summer, but will try Kolob again this fall and see if any have reached decent size yet. Hit me up in the PMs, let's get together some time!