Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
It's Spring fer sure
Saw my first robin today...hauling on a big crawler in my lawn.  Also saw a bunch more fresh crawler mounds.
[Image: FIRST-ROBIN.jpg]

Attached Files
.pdf   SCADDEN ESCAPE MODS.pdf (Size: 1.63 MB / Downloads: 2)
.pdf   ESCAPE - REVIEW.pdf (Size: 666.97 KB / Downloads: 1)
We too have seen a couple robins, however our ground is still pretty frozen so we're sure they are not getting any juicy crawlers just yet, but they are nest building so hopefully we've turned the corner and soon enough there will be some crawlers for them and their young ones.
(03-23-2021, 04:39 PM)jjannie Wrote: We too have seen a couple robins, however our ground is still pretty frozen so we're sure they are not getting any juicy crawlers just yet, but they are nest building so hopefully we've turned the corner and soon enough there will be some crawlers for them and their young one
 It is spring and I also saw some crawler mounds but in Northern Utah I see Robins at 8,000 ft while cross country skiing. Most don't migrate anymore.
(03-23-2021, 05:31 PM)packfish Wrote:
(03-23-2021, 04:39 PM)jjannie Wrote: We too have seen a couple robins, however our ground is still pretty frozen so we're sure they are not getting any juicy crawlers just yet, but they are nest building so hopefully we've turned the corner and soon enough there will be some crawlers for them and their young one
 It is spring and I also saw some crawler mounds but in Northern Utah I see Robins at 8,000 ft while cross country skiing. Most don't migrate anymore.
 Agreed, wonder what they're feeding on?
(03-23-2021, 07:45 PM)jjannie Wrote:
You can bet it ain't frozen worms.

They'd probably never make it without Grub Hub.
(03-23-2021, 09:18 PM)TubeDude Wrote:
(03-23-2021, 07:45 PM)jjannie Wrote:
You can bet it ain't frozen worms.

They'd probably never make it without Grub Hub.
Yes, it'd have to be GrubHub as they couldn't use Doordash since they don't have a door - LOL!
In winter, robins eat tree buds, insect egg clusters, and any insects they can find on trees. Interesting factoid: Robins are among the very few birds that can eat earthworms; most others can't digest them.
Rocky, my great-granddaughter asks a lot of questions. Once in a while I tell her I don't know and she replies, "Yes you do, you know everything." I assure her I don't but from now on I'll tell her I'll ask you. It'd be fun playing Trivial Pursuit with you.
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.

I have a lot of fun with the dimbulb clerks where I sometimes buy nightcrawlers.  When they ask "Are ya goin' fishin'?"  I reply "No, these are for my lunch."  After their incredulous looks, guffawing or retching I continue with "Yeah, with a little marinara sauce they make great spaghetti.  But they sometimes tickle going down."
(03-24-2021, 06:02 PM)TubeDude Wrote: I have a lot of fun with the dimbulb clerks where I sometimes buy nightcrawlers.  When they ask "Are ya goin' fishin'?"  I reply "No, these are for my lunch."  After their incredulous looks, guffawing or retching I continue with "Yeah, with a little marinara sauce they make great spaghetti.  But they sometimes tickle going down."
 LOL, last time we bought some nightcrawlers the new cashier at the checkout was trying to figure out  how to charge for them as she was looking them up on her cheat sheet, she asked are these worms, I said no they are night crawlers she had no idea what those were so I just said really fat worms, she about threw up and put the container down fast and found them on her cheat sheet so we were in business but she wasn't about the pick the container up to put it in a bag - LOL. She just handed me the bag! You'd have had a good time chatting with her about using them for spaghetti.
(03-24-2021, 10:07 PM)jjannie Wrote:
(03-24-2021, 06:02 PM)TubeDude Wrote: I have a lot of fun with the dimbulb clerks where I sometimes buy nightcrawlers.  When they ask "Are ya goin' fishin'?"  I reply "No, these are for my lunch."  After their incredulous looks, guffawing or retching I continue with "Yeah, with a little marinara sauce they make great spaghetti.  But they sometimes tickle going down."
 LOL, last time we bought some nightcrawlers the new cashier at the checkout was trying to figure out  how to charge for them as she was looking them up on her cheat sheet, she asked are these worms, I said no they are night crawlers she had no idea what those were so I just said really fat worms, she about threw up and put the container down fast and found them on her cheat sheet so we were in business but she wasn't about the pick the container up to put it in a bag - LOL. She just handed me the bag! You'd have had a good time chatting with her about using them for spaghetti.
Just tell her they are vermicelli...a type of pasta.  (borrowed from Italian, plural of vermicello, diminutive of verme "worm," going back to Latin vermis)...
Saw a female Robin outside my apartment 2 weeks ago, eating one of the berries off the ground (I don't know what kind, but I hate them. They get tracked into the house all the time  Angry the berries, not the Robins  Big Grin  )

Then Saturday just after the rain stopped here, saw a nest on one of the lower branches of one of the pine trees in front of my building. Had both mom and dad Robin in it.  Eggs....????  don't know.  

I have a favorite Maverick I stop at any time I'm heading north from my place to Willard or the River. Several years ago they got a new young girl cashier. My son and I stopped in early one Saturday morning. My son saw the new cashier, and looked at me and said, "ahh Dad, she's cute, don't give her a hard time."  Well, my son and I have both worked numerous years in gas stations and C-Stores and we are well aware of the idiots that sometimes come thru. But we are also well aware that the last generation just don't seem to know how to make change, or much of anything else without the register telling them how.  

So, I picked up a 12 pack of worms and some various snacks. The young lady didn't bat an eye. Rang it all up, and as she was bagging it, she asks, trying to be nice, you guys going fishin ?  I look at my son and he just shakes his head knowing what's coming. I say, nope, we are just taking these out to wash them off.  That young lady must have a real joker for a dad, and without skipping a beat she looks at me and says "well sir you better keep the receipt, cuz if you don't catch anything, just bring them all back for a refund, but you got to bring them ALL back, we don't do pro-rated refunds." 

My son dang near choked on his coffee and laughed at me all the way to Willard Bay that morning.  For almost 2 years, that young lady was in the store every weekend that I stopped, and she ALWAYS had a snappy answer to my stupid come-backs.  She impressed me as one of the smartest millennials  I ever met, and she NEVER had her phone to her face while she was working.  
"OCD = Obsessive Catfish Disorder "
    Or so it says on my license plate holder

Cool
When I was a youngster, growing up in Payson, my neighbors had family visit them, from one of the southern states. They told our neighbors that they had seen several "Night crawlers for Sale" signs, so they stopped and purchased some. They asked our neighbor, "How do you cook them?" He explained that they were for fishing and not for eating.
(03-25-2021, 03:44 PM)kentofnsl Wrote: When I was a youngster, growing up in Payson, my neighbors had family visit them, from one of the southern states.  They told our neighbors that they had seen several "Night crawlers for Sale" signs, so they stopped and purchased some.  They asked our neighbor, "How do you cook them?"  He explained that they were for fishing and not for eating.

Not sure what southern state they were from, but I lived in South Georgia for 13 years. Bought lots and used alot of Nite Crawlers for fishin. Never knew of anyone thinking they were human food   Big Grin 

Cool
When I was in England I spent some time with a family there. The mother always had a good story to tell. They had gone on holiday to America recently. Of course they had the rather trite issue of the waiter bringing them potato chips rather than the thick French fries that are typically served in England along with fried fish and about anything else you can think of. But one story involved worms. They saw signs by the road that read "Night crawlers $1.50." She was amazed that ladies of the night were offering their services for such a cheap price! Someone finally explained it to her. If you don't understand, ask your mother.

For you that follow phenology: the buds are bursting on the lilac bushes in my back yard and the crocus are mostly up and blooming. It's hard to exlain what phenology is so google it if you are a gardener. And it's not phrenology so get your hands off your head Pat. Wink
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.

(03-26-2021, 01:30 AM)catchinon Wrote: When I was in England I spent some time with a family there. The mother always had a good story to tell. They had gone on holiday to America recently. Of course they had the rather trite issue of the waiter bringing them potato chips rather than the thick French fries that are typically served in England along with fried fish and about anything else you can think of. But one story involved worms. They saw signs by the road that read "Night crawlers $1.50." She was amazed that ladies of the night were offering their services for such a cheap price! Someone finally explained it to her. If you don't understand, ask your mother.

For you that follow phenology: the buds are bursting on the lilac bushes in my back yard and the crocus are mostly up and blooming. It's hard to exlain what phenology is so google it if you are a gardener. And it's not phrenology so get your hands off your head Pat. Wink
But you give me a headache.
(03-26-2021, 01:30 AM)catchinon Wrote: When I was in England I spent some time with a family there. The mother always had a good story to tell. They had gone on holiday to America recently. Of course they had the rather trite issue of the waiter bringing them potato chips rather than the thick French fries that are typically served in England along with fried fish and about anything else you can think of. But one story involved worms. They saw signs by the road that read "Night crawlers $1.50." She was amazed that ladies of the night were offering their services for such a cheap price! Someone finally explained it to her. If you don't understand, ask your mother.

Craig, when were you in England ?  I spent 6 years there 1979 - 1985 .  I fished one time with the old Brit that was my first landlord.  Of course he was a fly fishin fanatic and barely forgave me for being such a uncouth yank because I used a spinning rod and reel.  I was casting numerous lures, and every so often I would see him take something out of his lower lip and put it on his fly hook.   I asked him what he was using, and he reached into his lip and pulled out a maggot.    Confused   Sick  yikes........ he said the old Brits did that to keep the maggots warm...................  never have looked at maggots the same way since.....
   I didn't catch anything that day either....................   

Cool
'74-'76. The closest I came to fishing was when we hiked up into mountains near Snowdon in North Wales, highest point in the British Isles. We came up to a beautiful little mountain lake with fish rising all over it.
Never have been able to stomach the idea of keeping live bait in my mouth but I think I've held waxworms between my lips for a few seconds (8-second rule?) a couple of times. By the way, how can you tell the difference between this year's and last year's deer droppings? This year's are saltier.

(04-03-2021, 01:47 PM)catchinon Wrote: '74-'76. The closest I came to fishing was when we hiked up into mountains near Snowdon in North Wales, highest point in the British Isles. We came up to a beautiful little mountain lake with fish rising all over it.
Never have been able to stomach the idea of keeping live bait in my mouth but I think I've held waxworms between my lips for a few seconds (8-second rule?) a couple of times. By the way, how can you tell the difference between this year's and last year's deer droppings? This year's are saltier.

By the way, how can you tell the difference between this year's and last year's deer droppings? This year's are saltier.

I sure would not know, but I'll take your word for it...... Dodgy . 

Cool
(03-24-2021, 11:38 PM)Tin-Can Wrote: Saw a female Robin outside my apartment 2 weeks ago, eating one of the berries off the ground (I don't know what kind, but I hate them. They get tracked into the house all the time  Angry the berries, not the Robins  Big Grin  )

Then Saturday just after the rain stopped here, saw a nest on one of the lower branches of one of the pine trees in front of my building. Had both mom and dad Robin in it.  Eggs....????  don't know.  

I have a favorite Maverick I stop at any time I'm heading north from my place to Willard or the River. Several years ago they got a new young girl cashier. My son and I stopped in early one Saturday morning. My son saw the new cashier, and looked at me and said, "ahh Dad, she's cute, don't give her a hard time."  Well, my son and I have both worked numerous years in gas stations and C-Stores and we are well aware of the idiots that sometimes come thru. But we are also well aware that the last generation just don't seem to know how to make change, or much of anything else without the register telling them how.  

So, I picked up a 12 pack of worms and some various snacks. The young lady didn't bat an eye. Rang it all up, and as she was bagging it, she asks, trying to be nice, you guys going fishin ?  I look at my son and he just shakes his head knowing what's coming. I say, nope, we are just taking these out to wash them off.  That young lady must have a real joker for a dad, and without skipping a beat she looks at me and says "well sir you better keep the receipt, cuz if you don't catch anything, just bring them all back for a refund, but you got to bring them ALL back, we don't do pro-rated refunds." 

My son dang near choked on his coffee and laughed at me all the way to Willard Bay that morning.  For almost 2 years, that young lady was in the store every weekend that I stopped, and she ALWAYS had a snappy answer to my stupid come-backs.  She impressed me as one of the smartest millennials  I ever met, and she NEVER had her phone to her face while she was working.  
 Guess you've met your match - that is hilarious!