Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Accessibility of Knott Creek Reservoir
Hi folks,

I'm a newb from CA (old man but new to the forum). This year, I'm trying to plan my first-ever trout fishing trip to Northern Nevada. My specific targets are Catnip Reservoir and Knott Creek Reservoir. I know I can get to Catnip in my bone-stock '98 S10, 4-banger, 5-spd manual, but I'm concerned with the road to Knott Creek, which I've read requires 4wd and high clearance (like Hell Hole Reservoir in CA) but what I've seen from watching a couple of YT vids, I haven't really seen anything that scares me. But that really means nothing.

Anyone on the forum have any info on the road to Knott Creek, and if the cautions are really valid, or they just don't want to be rescuing tenderfeet?

I have a lot of experience driving off-road, mostly near Death Valley, originally in my '73 VW Thing. That car would eat boulders and with a skid plate on it, there weren't as many worries about ripping up the engine or transaxle. But I haven't done a lot of truly off-road driving since then. I know when approaching something you could get stuck in to keep the R's high and the tranny in a lower gear and blast through it. But I'm just not familiar with that area and I really don't want to have to use my personal ELT (Emergency Locator Transmitter) to be rescued.

Can anyone help me out with some current or recent info? Thanks in advance!!!

Huh