Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Trolling Motor Rudder
I have been wanting to put a trolling motor skag extension on my boat since seeing one on Rocky Mountain Tackles boat several years ago, but I didn’t want to spend the $100 to buy one. So when my coworker started telling me about his 3D printer and seeing components he made for a guys home made jaw jacker it got my brain going on designing a bracket and he printed it for me and I found a scrap piece of aluminum and the pictures below are what I came up with. I got to test it a couple weeks ago at Jordanelle and found that I can steer the boat without running the trolling motor which will greatly exstend the life of my batteries on multi day trips. I even stress tested it on accident when I got up on plain after forgetting to pull up the trolling motor, it held up fine. I have less than $10 in hose clamps and stainless steal nuts and bolts into it.

Attached Files Image(s)

You will really like that add
I've been thinking of how to add one to my trolling motor.

Yours looks really good and gives me some good ideas. Thanks
Live to hunt----- Hunt to live.
(04-03-2021, 04:19 AM)a_bow_nut Wrote: I've been thinking of how to add one to my trolling motor.

There is a guy in Cal that makes a really nice one that does not use clamps to add on the rudder, it uses existing holes, if you have a transducer built into your motor and I think one hole goes in the existing rudder but it's all welded up and painted black, it looks really good. Rileyfish and 2knots have them, maybe one of them will take a pic of theirs and post it. Not sure if the price has changed but it seems to me they cost around $180.
(04-02-2021, 11:44 PM)obifishkenobi Wrote: I have been wanting to put a trolling motor skag extension on my boat since seeing one on Rocky Mountain Tackles boat several years ago, but I didn’t want to spend the $100 to buy one. So when my coworker started telling me about his 3D printer and seeing components he made for a guys home made jaw jacker it got my brain going on designing a bracket and he printed it for me and I found a scrap piece of aluminum and the pictures below are what I came up with. I got to test it a couple weeks ago at Jordanelle and found that I can steer the boat without running the trolling motor which will greatly exstend the life of my batteries on multi day trips. I even stress tested it on accident when I got up on plain after forgetting to pull up the trolling motor, it held up fine. I have less than $10 in hose clamps and stainless steal nuts and bolts into it.
Compared to the price I was quoted above that is awesome you can make one yourself for that price. How thick was the aluminum for the blade you used? Where did you find the piece that goes up against the round part of the motor?
This is one from Doug Philpott

[Image: 62-B594-FB-B5-DB-43-A3-9-D48-EACE53946-A75.jpg]
(04-03-2021, 05:27 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote:
(04-03-2021, 04:19 AM)a_bow_nut Wrote: I've been thinking of how to add one to my trolling motor.

There is a guy in Cal that makes a really nice one that does not use clamps to add on the rudder, it uses existing holes, if you have a transducer built into your motor and I think one hole goes in the existing rudder but it's all welded up and painted black, it looks really good. Rileyfish and 2knots have them, maybe one of them will take a pic of theirs and post it. Not sure if the price has changed but it seems to me they cost around $180.
(04-02-2021, 11:44 PM)obifishkenobi The aluminum is 1/4”, I got it out of a scrap bin that’s why it has holes drilled in it, The piece that attaches with the hose clamp my buddy programmed my design and printed it, I’m sure he would share the file if you have access to a 3D printer. Wrote: I have been wanting to put a trolling motor skag extension on my boat since seeing one on Rocky Mountain Tackles boat several years ago, but I didn’t want to spend the $100 to buy one. So when my coworker started telling me about his 3D printer and seeing components he made for a guys home made jaw jacker it got my brain going on designing a bracket and he printed it for me and I found a scrap piece of aluminum and the pictures below are what I came up with. I got to test it a couple weeks ago at Jordanelle and found that I can steer the boat without running the trolling motor which will greatly exstend the life of my batteries on multi day trips. I even stress tested it on accident when I got up on plain after forgetting to pull up the trolling motor, it held up fine. I have less than $10 in hose clamps and stainless steal nuts and bolts into it.
Compared to the price I was quoted above that is awesome you can make one yourself for that price. How thick was the aluminum for the blade you used? Where did you find the piece that goes up against the round part of the motor?
(04-03-2021, 09:35 PM)obifishkenobi Wrote:  The aluminum is 1/4”, I got it out of a scrap bin that’s why it has holes drilled in it, The piece that attaches with the hose clamp my buddy programmed my design and printed it, I’m sure he would share the file if you have access to a 3D printer.
Ok, thanks for the info. So that base piece that is made with a 3D printer is made from plastic? I do have access to a 3D printer, I'd be grateful for that file, thanks.
(04-03-2021, 09:44 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote:
(04-03-2021, 09:35 PM)obifishkenobi Wrote:  The aluminum is 1/4”, I got it out of a scrap bin that’s why it has holes drilled in it, The piece that attaches with the hose clamp my buddy programmed my design and printed it, I’m sure he would share the file if you have access to a 3D printer.
Ok, thanks for the info. So that base piece that is made with a 3D printer is made from plastic? I do have access to a 3D printer, I'd be grateful for that file, thanks.
I’ll talk to my coworker next week and figure out how to share it. yup plastic we considered using ABS but the regular plastic is plenty strong and flexible.
(04-03-2021, 11:05 PM)obifishkenobi Wrote:
(04-03-2021, 09:44 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote:
I’ll talk to my coworker next week and figure out how to share it. yup plastic we considered using ABS but the regular plastic is plenty strong and flexible.
Thanks, now if I can find some 1/4 Alum.
How about a piece of Schedule 40 PVC, cut in half to fit against the motor. The rudder can then be pop riveted to the PVC, and the hose clamps can attach the whole thing to your motor. You can also "flange" the rudder, cut a slot in the PVC and slide the rudder through the slot, then clamp it to the motor. Thinking that the rudder does not have to be that thick, 1/8th should do the trick.
(04-04-2021, 12:00 AM)wiperhunter2 Wrote: Thanks, now if I can find some 1/4 Alum.

I have a chunk of plate if we can figure out the logistics.

What size do you want?
(04-04-2021, 04:16 PM)a_bow_nut Wrote:
(04-04-2021, 12:00 AM)wiperhunter2 Wrote: Thanks, now if I can find some 1/4 Alum.

What size do you want?
This size:

[Image: trolling-motor-skag.jpg]
 I really have no idea but what kind of plate do you have? I have steel but if you have Alum, I'll ask obifishkenobi what size he used, thanks.
(04-04-2021, 06:49 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote:
(04-04-2021, 04:16 PM)a_bow_nut Wrote:

What size do you want?
This size:

[Image: trolling-motor-skag.jpg]
 I really have no idea but what kind of plate do you have? I have steel but if you have Alum, I'll ask obifishkenobi what size he used, thanks.
I will take some measurement when I get home I just scribed where I wanted to cut the aluminum from my trolling motor and free handed the bottom corners, I think the aluminum may be 1/8” or 3/16” you will know when I send the design it was made to fit the aluminum I have.
Here are some additional photos of my Skeg. Phillpot trailer and Marine made mine as he did 2knots. Ive added a couple of additional pics of mine and how it mounts to my Terrova 80. It’s on my Lund 1700 proV and it will control my boat with ease. If I’m not careful and turn that front motor to fast, i will spin my boat on a dime and i will have a mess when trolling. 

The other pics of the one that has been made above will work great. You can see the way mine is mounted and its rock solid. If anyone wants additional info or other pics, PM me and i will do what I can to help you out. [Image: C8-CC2606-166-D-4-C7-E-BAE2-655-DD043239-E.jpg]

[Image: F6-BDA283-22-DA-4345-B06-B-3-C2-F8-F21-AF8-D.jpg]

[Image: E9-CDB764-4-BB7-472-F-9-BBF-D10-A207-EAEEA.jpg]

[Image: DFFB2698-E529-4797-9820-A6-F0-F78-F57-DD.jpg]
I've looked at one that fits on the motor shaft. It wouldn't require the additional clearance under the motor. I just use a motor on my canoe but I have had problems with wind spinning me around and hoped this might help. I haven't actually pulled the trigger on buying it, as I never did take the canoe out with a motor last year.

https://bullnoseproducts.com/order-produ...ose-rudder

I am not affiliated with this vendor or website in any way.
I like the looks of that one. Will have to measure my motor to see if it will fit.