Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
April Ice Fishing
Randy and I saw some beautiful country and caught few fish. The plan was Chesterfield, but you know what they say about the best laid plans. It looked good from the road but there was 15’ of skim ice before solid ice. Randy suggested Black Foot reservoir, where we found 1ft. Of compacted snow/ice a layer of water then 1 foot of solid ice, just north of Dike Lake. We both caught several 10-12” planter bows, I caught Likely my personal best Chub and I fowl hooked a giant Rainbow. The big fish was caught on a night crawler on my Jaw Jacker, it was hooked in its anal fin and went on 3 drag pulling runs, I lost it at the hole trying to grab it by the tail. I estimate it was in the 25-30” range, biggest fish I have had on in a while.

Attached Files Image(s)

That sounds like a good day, too bad you lost the big one
Sounds like a BIG fish tail to me Smile
Thanks for the report and pics. I can't say I've ever seen a chub that big, just how long way it? I see you use the same drill motor that I use, mine has held up well the last 4 years.
(04-04-2021, 01:15 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote: Thanks for the report and pics. I can't say I've ever seen a chub that big, just how long way it? I see you use the same drill motor that I use, mine has held up well the last 4 years.
The chub is 16” long, I kept it to cut up and use as Sturgeon bait on Father’s Day weekend below American Falls Dam. I got that drill three years ago after I burned up my Dewalt drill that was not brushless it has worked great, I really like the 9 AH battery I have for it, I can drill holes all day on multiple trips and not run out of battery.
Great day of fishing with you again Shawn. Now I can put my ice gear away for the year. This ice year that started at Henry's in October was awesome. Then to Mackay, and Magic. We always caught fish, never a skunk. I also got trout at Chesterfield twice and Hawkins.