Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mantua Revenue
Well, it looks like things are going back to how they used to be in Mantua.  The mayor, former chief of police, has suggested that traffic tickets be used as a revenue generator to pay for the police department.
Yes, this means speeding, parking and anything else they can write for you can bet they will.

I will be leaving Mantua off my list this year and I guess Hyrum, Cutler and the Logan river too.  I will go somewhere where there is not a hawk waiting to pounce.

https://kutv.com/news/local/mantua-counc...t-problems
Would it be taken badly if one suggested not giving them a reason to pounce? Don't speed, don't park on the dike, and do pay the launch fee.
See, that's the thing, once there is a need to write tickets in order to essentially "pay your own wages" things become predatory. That said there is no way I am going to contribute to a town that thinks like this. They will lose the usual 10 or so times a year that I do pay to launch.
We used to camp on Mantua a couple of times a year when the children were young. They loved the little camp store and the fishing. Just another thing in life that has changed.
(04-16-2021, 02:13 PM)Gone Forever Wrote: Well, it looks like things are going back to how they used to be in Mantua.  The mayor, former chief of police, has suggested that traffic tickets be used as a revenue generator to pay for the police department.
Yes, this means speeding, parking and anything else they can write for you can bet they will.

I will be leaving Mantua off my list this year and I guess Hyrum, Cutler and the Logan river too.  I will go somewhere where there is not a hawk waiting to pounce.

FWIW I think it would be more ethical to collect all fine money in one big pot and send it back out to the local govt law enforcement by population. If the state collects $3,000,000 dollars and we had 3,000,000 residents that would be $1.00 per person for that period. A town the size of Mantua with 200 residents would get $200. All fines would be returned to law enforcement but it would take the incentive away from fund raising for your little kingdom to writing tickets for public safety. Maybe I am niave
I suppose the best way to defeat those that want to set up speed traps and the like is to NOT speed, and not violate any laws.

The problem is that many times the "law" violated is subjective, in the eyes of the officer. Of course, that is why we have courts, but if it cost more in time lost at work, time spent and cost of travel back to the court to fight it, etc., etc., then we pay the fine for the made up violation instead of fighting it.

I often tell a TRUE story of an event I had in southern Washington State. I was driving home from working out of town on a road I knew pretty well. I know that up the road there was a drastic speed reduction so I was prepared and expecting it. Suddenly I saw flashing lights from the County Mounty behind me. He informed me I was speeding. I said no, I was not, and he promised me that I was going 65 mph at which time I said, I agree, but this is 65 mph until up the road around the bend. He informed me that the sign was behind me and he was giving me a ticket. Sure enough, a mile up the road was the actual sign, I was right, he was wrong.

Now, the cost of the ticket was much less than the cost of taking a day off work, getting a lawyer, and having no way to prove where on the road we were when I was ticketed.

So, what do you do? I paid instead of costing me more money, but I was working for the State at the time I got that ticket, and when they asked me to do another job for them I told them to pound sand. So, what do you do????????
I have read stories of folks being cited for going 1 mph over the posted speed limit. If an officer issues a ticket for a 1 mph violation I have a hunch it is to raise revenue and not to promote public safety.
(04-16-2021, 02:13 PM)Gone Forever Wrote: Well, it looks like things are going back to how they used to be in Mantua.  The mayor, former chief of police, has suggested that traffic tickets be used as a revenue generator to pay for the police department.

As long as that mayor is the one running that town, nothing will change there, it was the reason I did not fish there last Winter and it's the reason I won't ice fish there in the future. 
I felt like Rocky until I got a ticket for parking where we had always parked because of unclear signs. I'm sure they were put there just to confuse people. It's Sad because the businesses there, that I talked to, feel the mayor and city officials are being too heavy handed and I'm sure it effects their business but until those folks elect new city officials, nothing will change, so our only option is to just not go there and when you have to drive down the 4 lane, don't speed.
Pretty much how I feel about it. I didn't get tied up in the parking on the dike mess but I read enough about it from people like you that did to make me not want to go there, this is the icing on the cake, for me.
Mantua was my ice fishing spot when I still did that. The last two years, I parked next to the restrooms, not on the dike and never had a problem. I also launched my kayak there for bass and bluegill, and parked in the same lot. Now that I have a boat and trailer, I have to think hard about going there again. The launch ramp is tricky and the parking lot is a long way off. I think I'd rather drive past Mantua and fish Hyrum.
(04-17-2021, 01:14 PM)RockyRaab2 Wrote: Mantua was my ice fishing spot when I still did that. The last two years, I parked next to the restrooms, not on the dike and never had a problem. I also launched my kayak there for bass and bluegill, and parked in the same lot. Now that I have a boat and trailer, I have to think hard about going there again. The launch ramp is tricky and the parking lot is a long way off. I think I'd rather drive past Mantua and fish Hyrum.
rocky just because you haven't gotten a ticket there yet doesn't mean what they are doing is right , they have set their budget in a way the they must right tickets and also seize assets from unsuspecting people. if you think they can't target you for your money you are wrong . i have a friend that was issued a ticket for having a piece of wire on his plate rather than a screw . there are so many laws on the books that anyone can be found in violation ,with out to much trouble . i don't think this will change your mind but maybe others will see it and be informed
You mistook my post entirely. To clarify for you, I am not defending Mantua City policies or practices in any way. I said that i USED to fish there, and did so without issue. I also said I'd have to think hard before ever going there again - precisely because of those policies. I'm sure everyone else understood me.
(04-21-2021, 02:00 AM)mtncat1 Wrote:
(04-17-2021, 01:14 PM)RockyRaab2 Wrote: Mantua was my ice fishing spot when I still did that. The last two years, I parked next to the restrooms, not on the dike and never had a problem. I also launched my kayak there for bass and bluegill, and parked in the same lot. Now that I have a boat and trailer, I have to think hard about going there again. The launch ramp is tricky and the parking lot is a long way off. I think I'd rather drive past Mantua and fish Hyrum.
rocky just because you haven't gotten a ticket there yet doesn't mean what they are doing is right , they have set their budget in a way the they must right tickets and also seize assets from unsuspecting people. if you think they can't target you for your money you are wrong . i have a friend that was issued a ticket for having a piece of wire on his plate rather than a screw . there are so many laws on the books that anyone can be found in violation ,with out to much trouble . i don't think this will change your mind but maybe others will see it and be informed
Yet they still allow turkey hunting with shotguns within the city limits on private property with owner permission. Dodgy