Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Boat cover and transom saver
I need to order a boat cover and transom saver for my Tracker. I have a few questions I hope someone can help me with.

Cover: Can you recommend a good company/brand? Any tips you can share about how to get/do it right?

Saver: I have found two types: the kind with a straight vee and the kind with little pods. Is one better than another? Any specific brand?

I have done quite a lot of online research already but am not getting into specifics here because I hope to have additional options presented.
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.

Hard to say about the transom saver. Depends on your trailer frame, how far up under the boat stern.

For the boat cover: are you looking for just a storage cover, or one that will also work well as a travel cover?  You can buy common storage covers from just about any Sportsman's Warehouse, or Cabelas, or West Marine, and many other on-line sources.
If you want a GOOD quality cover that works well for storage and travel, I would recommend getting one custom made for your specific boat.
The ones you can buy that are for boats based generally on length and width, require a lot of paracord lacing and tying. 

My current cover was made by Brian's Canvas  Products in Freeport Center, Clearfield. It has a "draw" tight cord that pulls tight at the stern, then well spaced reinforced web straps and D rings that I have bungie cords attached to. Then on the inside of the trailer frame I have corresponding eye bolts to hook the other end of bungie cord to. 

Custom made covers are more expensive, I know, but my first one lasted 9 years, traveled well, and winter stored outside. 

[Image: 040-wide-view-Port.jpg]  First cover came with boat in 2007, made by Sugar House. This photo taken in my side RV pad in Clinton in Aug 2013. 

[Image: 053a.jpg]  This photo taken in Sep 2013 with a PVC frame under the cover to help prevent water from puddling. 

[Image: 053b.jpg]  This photo taken in Dec 2013. Large plastic tarp purchased at Harbor Freight, placed over the canvas cover and laced under the trailer frame. My outdoor boat cocoon. 

In 2016, the original cover was beginning to tear at some of  the sewn seems. So I got a new one made at Brian's Canvas products in Clearfield. They did an awesome job and put on some additional webbing I requested. 

[Image: 079.jpg]  New cover from bow June 2016

[Image: 072-18-June-2016-New-Cover.jpg]  New cover from stern

[Image: 076.jpg]  New cover June 2016 left side stern

[Image: 075.jpg]  New cover right side stern

[Image: 090-new-storage-unit-June-2017.jpg]  Bungie cords securing cover

Brian's gave me the piece of material (same as cover) that I took to a embroidery shop for  the "Tin-Can", then Brian's sewed it to the new cover. 

In 2016 I sold my house in Clinton, got an apartment and a storage unit for the boat. So now I don't need to cover the boat when I'm not using it , but I do put the cover on when I take any fishing trips away from my local area. It travels great, and when I park overnight at a hotel somewhere, the cover stays on. It won't stop someone from cutting thru it, but so far, out of sight, out of mind. And it stays dry.
"OCD = Obsessive Catfish Disorder "
    Or so it says on my license plate holder

Cool
Thanks so much Forest, great info. Yes, I've decided to cut no corners on this one; I'm going to order a Sunbrella custom cover from one of the major manufacturers I have found online. They come with 10-12 year warrantees and are pricey, but I need to protect my investment. Since I have to store my boat outdoors I want something that will stand up to anything the weather can throw at it. That picture you posted of your boat with a tarp over it covered in snow could have been of mine this last winter. I think I'll put it on in winter over my new cover as just one more layer of protection. I also need UV protection for the interior of my boat and I park under some dirty trees so it will be best to keep the cover on year-round.
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.

For my current boat, I purchased a cover, from Amazon, on 9/30/14, for $80. On 1/29/15 I had to replace that cover with a cover from Boat Covers Direct, for $349! Finally, I purchased a custom cover, from Brian's Canvas Products, for $513. My boat is stored outside and I will likely need to replace my current cover next year.

I would encourage you to have a custom cover made at Brian's Canvas Products. Yesterday, I picked up my custom cover, for my SnowKitty, from Brian's Canvas Products. I would also be extremely careful about putting a second cover over an existing cover. Moisture can be trapped between the two covers and, depending upon the material on the cover underneath, the cover may rot.

One of the most important things to have a cover last is to have the cover fit the boat tight so that the cover doesn't whip in the wind as one is driving down the highway at 70 mph. A cover whipping in wind will destroy a cover extremely fast. The best way to prevent having this situation is to have a custom cover made for one's boat.
Agree with all Kent shared.   Smile 

The extra tarp I used when I had to park boat outdoors in winter was long enough, and wide enough to completely wrap the boat from bow stand to over the motor, and around both sides and under the trailer frame. Used the grommet holes in tarp to "lace" with paracord pulling tarp tight around all edges. And because I had a PVC frame in the boat that created a "tent" rain would run right off. I also tilted the boat at about a 35 degree angle back and supported the trailer frame under the first crossmember with a 4x4 support I built that allowed me to provide a wider support than just the landing gear on the front of tow frame. That prevented possible damage during heavy winds or snow.  
Of course, now that I can store the boat inside, I don't cover it during winter. I do however still tilt it back with all the plugs and access lids open so it will dry out in the hull and bilge area. 

[Image: 054-tilt-support.jpg]  Tilt support  

The cover I got in 2016 from Brian's, when it is properly installed and tightened down, it stays put even when towing at highway speeds. My first cover used to "balloon" up going down the road, but never came off. This new cover stays pulled taut.  

I have had several jobs done by Brian's Canvas. Last year I had them make an add on to my Bimini sun top that would give shade to the front of boat (for the wife) during hot summer, and side curtains that would come down about 3/4 of the way from the sun  top to the gunwales to make shade when sun is other than directly overhead.  

[Image: 025-new-top-without-side-curtains.jpg]  new addition sun top (front 1/2)

[Image: 026.jpg]  sun top from underneath

[Image: 021-left-side-top-extension-up.jpg]  sun top with side curtains (zip on and off) 

[Image: 015-Right-side-Bimini-stowed.jpg] Both original Bimini and added section stow together 

They also custom made a winter cover for the AC unit at my house in Clinton, and several tote bags for camp chairs. 

IMO Brian's is the best quality at the fairest price for anything related to canvas products. They even replaced all the snaps on my battery cover, and repaired a rip in one of my old tote bags for free.  They are always busy, so if you decide to get your cover made there, call them first. They will set up a day for you to drop off boat. Take all your removable stuff out, cuz it sits outside their shop in the Freeport Center Industrial Park. They will pull it inside at night or if it rains if they have room.
"OCD = Obsessive Catfish Disorder "
    Or so it says on my license plate holder

Cool