Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
First Starvation trip this year
[Image: starvationwalleye.jpg]

Made my first trip this year out to Starvation the water level was good about 80% full water temp about 72 mid day, I was up in the Knights Hollow area couldn't keep the small walleye of the lines they were all like the one pictured 11-12" range, changed from lindy rigs to larger cranks but still all I got was the same class fish, another year of growth and they will be some keapers.
(07-12-2021, 06:52 PM)Trolling71 Wrote: [Image: starvationwalleye.jpg]

Made my first trip this year out to Starvation the water level was good about 80% full water temp about 72 mid day, I was up in the Knights Hollow area couldn't keep the small walleye of the lines they were all like the one pictured 11-12" range, changed from lindy rigs to larger cranks but still all I got was the same class fish, another year of growth and they will be some keapers.
There are tons in there that size. It seems they have been that size for more than 2 years now.I  dont think they can grow. Starvation has left a bad taste in my mouth and still seems its not good. My two cents.
Gabe
My only experience at starvy is for the right lines contests on the ice. Needless to say I won't be back again nor will I sign up for that contest again ?
(07-12-2021, 09:27 PM)Freakyfisherman Wrote:

There are tons in there that size. It seems they have been that size for more than 2 years now.I  dont think they can grow. Starvation has left a bad taste in my mouth and still seems its not good. My two cents.
Gabe
There were several 7 lb. walleye taken during a recent tournament there.
Tons of little ones for sure, need to harvest a few of those. There are still big ones in there. I know of several 7lb plus caught in the last few weeks. A buddy who fished the catch a cure got several big ones and had some follows by even bigger ones. They were using big lures, those big ones are usually targeting larger prey and aren’t caught as often on the things that work for the hammer handles.
Guys that target the big ones don’t catch as many but do seem to up the odds on getting larger ones. You can catch big ones one small stuff too.
time spent fishing isn't deducted from ones life
(07-13-2021, 02:53 PM)Mildog Wrote: Tons of little ones for sure, need to harvest a few of those. There are still big ones in there. I know of several 7lb plus caught in the last few weeks. A buddy who fished the catch a cure got several big ones and had some follows by even bigger ones. They were using big lures, those big ones are not usually targeting larger prey and aren’t caught as often on the things that work for the hammer handles.
Guys that target the big ones don’t catch as many buy do seem to up the odds and getting larger ones.
My biggest eye is still 29 inches. I caught it finesse fishing a 2 and a half inch gulp minnow on an 1/8 ounce jighead. Hot day in July around 11 am a few years ago on Starvation. No bite, just weight on the end of the line. I set the hook when i felt the weight. So, I know the big ones can be caught on small presentations. I used to catch muttiple walleyes in the 20 to 26 inch range on a regular basis on Starvation. There may be a good one here or there, but not like it used to be. 
Gabe

How was the mosquitoes there?
We were there last Friday. Bunch of 12-16" as well. Bugs were good that day but it was windy.