Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Jordanelle , what works for me..
photo upload[Image: 20200601-105236.jpg][Image: 20200601-104321.jpg]
Went up early to jordanelle on friday with the wife, wow, never found them thus no bites.. Was leaving and talked to helpful man at the ramp. Said go to the north..   Wink 
Then Monday, never go on Saturday, went to the north fished for 1 1/2 hours saw nothing, caught nothing  Sad   
Went back south and started hunting.  Didn't see much but that can mean they are up shallow so I put out two side planers and had a hit before I got the second one set up.. Big Grin  Nothing was fast but lost two, they were just practicing and lacked experience.  Found the spot and got another with some changing of colors.  Pink was the best but got one on green, and one on a clown color with pink squid.  (pictures included)  For 3 hours I never saw another fisherman ?? Had a big one break off right at the net. They are getting big. 17 inches never give up the fight.

Now I know why no one was using the fish cleaning station... No Electrical plugs.  I mean that really is dum, 
Park Ranger CAN'T we do anything about no place to plug in the knife!!

used snap on weights 1/2 0z down 20 feet and 40 feet back.
(06-02-2020, 04:31 PM)doitall5000Do it all, you are figuring it out, I have been trying to tell people don\t overlook shallow. I catch them most of the year shallow ! Also there is an outlet at the fish cleaning station, but it is not on the station itself, it is on the wall to the east. I have brought extension cord and used it last year several times. This year I have not checked to see if it is working. I generally don't worry about the electric kinife for Kokes but always use it for wipers, perch and bass. Remember to take extension cord and you should be good.Good report. Thank you.Mildog Out Wrote: photo upload[Image: 20200601-105236.jpg][Image: 20200601-104321.jpg]
Went up early to jordanelle on friday with the wife, wow, never found them thus no bites.. Was leaving and talked to helpful man at the ramp. Said go to the north..   Wink 
Then Monday, never go on Saturday, went to the north fished for 1 1/2 hours saw nothing, caught nothing  Sad   
Went back south and started hunting.  Didn't see much but that can mean they are up shallow so I put out two side planers and had a hit before I got the second one set up.. Big Grin  Nothing was fast but lost two, they were just practicing and lacked experience.  Found the spot and got another with some changing of colors.  Pink was the best but got one on green, and one on a clown color with pink squid.  (pictures included)  For 3 hours I never saw another fisherman ?? Had a big one break off right at the net. They are getting big. 17 inches never give up the fight.

Now I know why no one was using the fish cleaning station... No Electrical plugs.  I mean that really is dum, 

time spent fishing isn't deducted from ones life
(06-02-2020, 05:07 PM)Mildog   Doitall  My bad the "outlets on the wall are actually covers for some switch\s so you are correct, no power at the cleaning station. I was trying to figure out how we used our electrics last year up there. My buddy reminded me he has a rechargeable and I plugged mine into extension cord from my truck inverter?? I guess I'm getting old and can't remember everything.Fished for few hours today for Kokes got one pretty quick and was expecting some great action, then nothing so I moved more south and got one on pretty quick very nice Koke, Long line released unfortunately then nothing until the wind came up. Fished a bit for smallmouth got a half dozen and then the wind was too big a pain so headed home. Lots of floating debris from high water. Surface temp as warm as 66 in back bays 62 ish in main lake. Wrote:
(06-02-2020, 04:31 PM)doitall5000Do it all, you are figuring it out, I have been trying to tell people don\t overlook shallow. I catch them most of the year shallow ! Also there is an outlet at the fish cleaning station, but it is not on the station itself, it is on the wall to the east. I have brought extension cord and used it last year several times. This year I have not checked to see if it is working. I generally don Wrote: photo upload[Image: 20200601-105236.jpg][Image: 20200601-104321.jpg]

time spent fishing isn't deducted from ones life
Thats where I found the kokanees, right in the middle of all the floating, wood. Lots of tree junk so be careful some are big pieces.
I have run into that issue of no electrical outlets at a couple places, or the outlets that are there have not been turned on, or some  {bad word} person has smashed them. 
My wife solved that problem for me a couple years ago. For a birthday or Christmas, can't dismember when, she bought me a electric filleting knife (Rapala) that has a conversion cord. I can plug it into the DC power outlet (cigarette lighter) socket on my boat, or in the truck. If  the cleaning station isn't too far from where I can park (like the station at Willard south) that knife kit also has a long cord that allows me to use it about 50 ft. away.
And having been an aircraft electrician the past 47 years, I  even made my own additional extension to that cord, but found I never used it and repurposed  the wire and connectors for some other use. Confused

And there are a couple filleting knifes that are both plug in or battery operated.   Of course, you probably already know that.. Rolleyes
"OCD = Obsessive Catfish Disorder "
    Or so it says on my license plate holder

Cool
I will never use a cleaning station again - in Utah.   Big Grin  My cleaning station is now at the back of my boat and is never closed.  I simply open the live well lid and place this:

over the live well opening.  Then I select the appropriate blade for the job at hand from this:

and fillet away.  The fillets go through the hole in the board back into the live well and the carcass goes overboard to feed other fish or seagulls.  And before one of you wannabe Conservation Law Enforcement Officers goes ballistic on me, it's legal to do this in Utah.

Fishing Guidebook, Page 20 - Possession of filleted fish Wrote:At most waters, you may fillet harvested game fish, or remove their heads or tails, after you have:
Completed the act of fishing
• Arrived at camp
• Reached a fish-cleaning station
• Arrived at a principle means of land transportation

At Strawberry Reservoir, Scofield Reservoir, Lost Creek Reservoir and Panguitch Lake, you may not fillet trout and salmon, and you may not remove their heads or tails while in the field or in transit.

Note: Do not dispose of entrails and carcasses on the bank. Leave them in the water where you caught the fish.
The exceptions are those 4 lakes that have slot limits and don't allow filleting fish there unless you immediately plan to consume them.  But you can gut them and toss the guts overboard.  My fish are cleaned, bagged, and iced before I ever get back to the ramp.

Are we havin' fun yet?  Big Grin
(06-04-2020, 10:48 PM)dubob Wrote: I will never use a cleaning station again - in Utah.   Big Grin  My cleaning station is now at the back of my boat and is never closed.  I simply open the live well lid and place this:

over the live well opening.  Then I select the appropriate blade for the job at hand from this:

and fillet away.  The fillets go through the hole in the board back into the live well and the carcass goes overboard to feed other fish or seagulls.  And before one of you wannabe Conservation Law Enforcement Officers goes ballistic on me, it's legal to do this in Utah.

Fishing Guidebook, Page 20 - Possession of filleted fish Wrote:At most waters, you may fillet harvested game fish, or remove their heads or tails, after you have:
Completed the act of fishing
• Arrived at camp
• Reached a fish-cleaning station
• Arrived at a principle means of land transportation

At Strawberry Reservoir, Scofield Reservoir, Lost Creek Reservoir and Panguitch Lake, you may not fillet trout and salmon, and you may not remove their heads or tails while in the field or in transit.

Note: Do not dispose of entrails and carcasses on the bank. Leave them in the water where you caught the fish.
The exceptions are those 4 lakes that have slot limits and don't allow filleting fish there unless you immediately plan to consume them.  But you can gut them and toss the guts overboard.  My fish are cleaned, bagged, and iced before I ever get back to the ramp.

Are we havin' fun yet?  Big Grin
Thats a great system,  thanks for sharing I'm thinking about a cordless knife. I wish we could clean kokanees at strawberry,  just leave on the skin for identification.