Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why you need to use braid line
I grew up using mono and hated so many things about it such as ultraviolet deterioration, coils coming off the spool, slight knicks leading to breaks and how mono affects lure action. Then came braid. The first braided lines were too stiff but evolved into softer lines. Best was the small diameter for the pound test needed. 8# test has a 4# test diameter.

Here are other advantages:
1. Braid is abrasion resistant.
2. No coils mean better light strike detection at a long distance.
3. Better hooksets at a long distance.
4. Better lure action vs thicker and stiffer mono lines.
5. More success getting unstuck from snags.
6. Doesn't need to be changed once a year. I still have line on one reel that's going on the third year.

Even if you catch large fish on light braid, chances are high you will bring it in - my largest was a 7.5 lb catfish taken on 8# test braid - but even tiny fish will bite a lure attached to braid.

There are many name brands sold but my choice is KastKing (ebay or Amazon). I use 20lb test for larger fish species and 8lb test for smaller size fish (panfish). The quality is excellent and much cheaper + free s/h.

I use braid on spinning, baitcast and spincast reels. Sometimes a thin fluorocarbon leader is used when using a float but most of the time straight braid does great.
I'm glad you love your braid, but my dollars are spent on Silver Thread AN40. I live in Utah and braid will hold water and freeze if used ice fishing, but even when not ice fishing, I have found that Silver Thread works great and is particularly abrasion resistant.

I do use PowerPro when I fish for sturgeon.
Never had a problem with braid "holding water". It worked great today catching panfish and bass, casting lures from 1/24 - 1/16 oz. What is Silver Thread made of.
(11-09-2020, 11:16 PM)SenkoSam Wrote: Never had a problem with braid "holding water". It worked great today catching panfish and bass, casting lures from 1/24 - 1/16 oz. What is Silver Thread made of.

Copolymer.  Have you used braid in freezing temperatures?  Braid definitely doesn't absorb water, but it has been my experience that water sticks to its surface when reeling it in and freezes.
I don't ice fish anymore or in air temperatures less than 50. Would not know about water sticking to its surface but figure the rod guides would take care of that as well as a bright sun and an air temperature of over 35 degrees. When I did ice fish, it was quite warm when the sun was out - at least in my snowsuit. 

One thing I did do for a few reasons was use a fluorocarbon leader under a float to catch crappie. 
[Image: 3wRE4qL.jpg]

The leader was attached to the bottom wire of the float rather than have the line held by the top and bottom wires at the same time. For some reason most likely because 1/16 oz or lighter jigs are used, the line would wrap around the top of the float when cast. 
The other reason was allowing the lure to trail at the deepest depth the leader was set at. Braid might bow more when moving the float/ lure a foot or more. I knew the depth the lure needed to be because I knew the depth I was casting to. Man did that float dive out of sight when a fish was on. 

More on float fishing with lures in another post.
I switched to braid in 2010 and I have never looked back. I use Fins and love it. I believe it all depends on what type of fishing you do. I use braid for various reasons including it is so strong, there is no stretch and it is super sensitive. These are all very important to me and my customers. Just my opinion.

Capt. Alan
https://galvestonsfishingcharters.com
https://galvestonbayfishingteam.com