Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Jordanelle
I know not too many people chase bass any more at Jordanelle, at least a few posts on this board, but I thought I would share my epic day from Tuesday, July 7.

Alert, my waterproof phone case decided not to be waterproof and I was unable to take any pictures. So, measurements and numbers have to be taken on your faith. I have no reason to share untruths.

I was on the water at 6 AM in my tube. I was targeting large smallies, but my technique is one I have perfected over the past few years. I actually fish for perch primarily, searching for actively feeding schools. Once I find some, and get the group feeding and stirred up, out comes the large ned rigged senkos and magically, large smallies come out of the woodwork.

It ended up being a quite windy day, which made my efforts more challenging, but I did land, measure, and release a 20" and a 19" that were fat and spitting out small perch. I caught too many in the 14-15" range to keep track of. They all fought like crazy and every time give you a thrill as they go straight down with the bait. I counted over 50 bass (few small ones given my approach).

I released all the bass but did bring home a bucket of decent size perch for tacos. It is a great formula for me, and I thought I would share some of my success with the crew.

Tight Lines.
Sounds like a great technique, thanks for the report. I like to target the pan fish as well, any particular tricks you’re using for the perch? I have had decent success with small tube jigs under a slip bobber, but always looking for tips.
(07-09-2020, 10:03 AM)JArner Wrote: Sounds like a great technique, thanks for the report. I like to target the pan fish as well, any particular tricks you’re using for the perch? I have had decent success with small tube jigs under a slip bobber, but always looking for tips.

Yes, I use two small jigs tipped with a tiny chunk of nightcrawler under a slip bobber. dragging it around cover usually incites a strike and seems to stimulate all the fish in the area.
Thanks for sharing your knowledge. Smallies can really be exciting.
What color was best?
Did you contact any wipers. They have been caught in the rock creek
(07-09-2020, 02:41 PM)doitall5000 Wrote: Thanks for sharing your knowledge. Smallies can really be exciting.
What color was best?
Did you contact any wipers. They have been caught in the rock creek

Surprisingly no wipers, and I use watermelon and black, with and without flakes.
Great report and info, thanks. How much do you think the 20 incher weighed?
Thanks for sharing your method. Always fun to try some new methods. I use the slip bobber a lot for panfish. Now I will keep the second ultra light rigged for smallies and mix it up a bit when I get the bite going - should be fun
Remember: keep the lid on the worms, share your jerky, and stop by to say hi to Cookie and the Cowboy-Pirate crew
(07-09-2020, 09:10 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote: Great report and info, thanks. How much do you think the 20 incher weighed?

I would think 20" was at least four pounds, she was pretty girthy. The 19" was skinnier, and I bet would not have been more than 3. Post spawn they feel a bit lighter but had very full bellies.
Years ago I caught a 20" SM bass there that was at least 4 lbs, the guy I was with thought it was closer to 5 lbs but we never weighted it. According to Bassrods, a member of this site, he caught the State record, catch & release SM there, that was 23 inches and weighed 8 lbs , so there are some chunky SM in there for sure.