Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gorge 10-11
Hi Guys,
My wife and I hit the Gorge last weekend for two days targeting Kokanee.  We launched out of Lucerne but did some traveling.  We found fish in the usual spots but struggled getting them to bite.  We caught some good ones but really had to work for them.  Blue and green squids were hit the most which was a first for me.  Most of the fish we caught were at 45-55 feet trolling 1.1-1.4 mph. This year is definitely different from years past as far as catching Kokanee is concerned.  I spoke to a few anglers over the weekend that didn't even catch a single one.  I feel that I have thrown the book at them as far as scents, colors, depths and speed.  Has anyone found the magic bullet for this year?
(07-15-2020, 02:00 PM)FishwithKids Wrote: Hi Guys,
My wife and I hit the Gorge last weekend for two days targeting Kokanee.  We launched out of Lucerne but did some traveling.  We found fish in the usual spots but struggled getting them to bite.  We caught some good ones but really had to work for them.  Blue and green squids were hit the most which was a first for me.  Most of the fish we caught were at 45-55 feet trolling 1.1-1.4 mph. This year is definitely different from years past as far as catching Kokanee is concerned.  I spoke to a few anglers over the weekend that didn't even catch a single one.  I feel that I have thrown the book at them as far as scents, colors, depths and speed.  Has anyone found the magic bullet for this year?

From all reports, most are saying the same as you, catching is tough this year at both the Gorge and the Berry. On good days people are catching limits but it sure isn't like it's been in years past. Hopefully the catching improves.
Sorry to say, I’m really glad to see this report. In past years we have really enjoyed fishing for Kokanee at FG but this year has been a struggle. I have begun to think I didn’t know anything about fishing For them.  However, we continue to persevere.
I couldn't keep them off the line the first part of July. It was so good, in fact, that I went back the next weekend. We barely scratched out limits over the course of two days, and we fished very hard. Even the Lakers weren't particularly cooperative.

Weird year of fishing. Last year we were killing it on Jordanelle and Strawberry. This year, it is tough fishing. I wonder if it's all the extra pressure... The fish don't have all week to forget those rigs mean danger, because the COVID crew is up there fishing them all week.
(07-26-2020, 03:54 AM)BYUHunter Wrote: I couldn't keep them off the line the first part of July. It was so good, in fact, that I went back the next weekend. We barely scratched out limits over the course of two days, and we fished very hard. Even the Lakers weren't particularly cooperative.

Weird year of fishing. Last year we were killing it on Jordanelle and Strawberry. This year, it is tough fishing. I wonder if it's all the extra pressure... The fish don't have all week to forget those rigs mean danger, because the COVID crew is up there fishing them all week.

I'm sure you are right, so many more people out there this year during the week, that has to have something to do with it. Not sure about the Gorge stocking numbers but I know the stocking numbers at the Berry are down and with the numbers of people that slammed the kokes last year at the Nelle, I'm sure their overall numbers are down. It will be interesting to see how these other lakes turn out where they are stocking kokes now, if they start turning on in a year or two, everything might turn out OK, with the pressure reduced on the Nelle and the Berry, time will tell I guess.
(07-26-2020, 01:47 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote:
(07-26-2020, 03:54 AM)BYUHunter Wrote: I couldn't keep them off the line the first part of July. It was so good, in fact, that I went back the next weekend. We barely scratched out limits over the course of two days, and we fished very hard. Even the Lakers weren't particularly cooperative.

I'm sure you are right, so many more people out there this year during the week, that has to have something to do with it. Not sure about the Gorge stocking numbers but I know the stocking numbers at the Berry are down and with the numbers of people that slammed the kokes last year at the Nelle, I'm sure their overall numbers are down. It will be interesting to see how these other lakes turn out where they are stocking kokes now, if they start turning on in a year or two, everything might turn out OK, with the pressure reduced on the Nelle and the Berry, time will tell I guess.
I completely agree!

Looking at the stocking reports going on about the last 5 years the stocking numbers for Strawberry have been cut in half and those fish have been used to stock all these other lakes. Couple that with what seems like double the number of boats fishing for kokanee than there were a couple years ago and we're sure to see an impact . 
Sunrise on the water
(07-27-2020, 04:06 PM)WET1 Wrote:

Looking at the stocking reports going on about the last 5 years the stocking numbers for Strawberry have been cut in half and those fish have been used to stock all these other lakes. Couple that with what seems like double the number of boats fishing for kokanee than there were a couple years ago and we're sure to see an impact . 
That is what I have heard as well, have you read the same lower numbers of kokes being stocked at the Gorge too?
As a Gorge regular, living in green river, I have yet to find the magic bullet. I don’t believe it exists this year. Every single day is different. The folks that are trolling around lazily and not throwing the book at them are really struggling.