Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Jordanelle Kokanee Aug 15
Hopefully my post will catch the attention of a F&G biologist, since I would like to hear what may be going on with the Jordanelle Kokanee and if they think that the system is ever going to be self sustaining and the salmon will ever start the process of self recruitment.  

This year I only fished at Jordanelle two times for Kokanee. Around the End of May and again this past weekend, primarily due to Covid.  I wanted to fish earlier, but it was closed to all but the Wasatch County residents.  When I did go in May, I got skunked. Not even a trout.  That day there were other fishermen who I saw had the same poor luck.  Sine then I have only seen a few good reports about Jordanelle.

After that day, I didn't head back and went to Strawberry for Kokanee and concentrated on learning to fish for Walleye this year on Deer Creek.  Then this past weekend I headed back for Kokanee on Jordanelle.  Last year at this time, I had a couple really good fishing trips there, so I wanted to see if it was going to be productive again the middle of August.

Anyhow, we started out around 8:30 and headed to the narrows and trolled along the south cliff and fairly far up the narrows.  Soon we found some schools of planter trout in the 12-13 inch range that would not leave the gear alone. I have just one downrigger which I used at depth ranging from 25-60 feet as I spotted targets on the fish finder.  Other rigs I set up with Walker TripZ divers from 30-40 feet down.  

Later we cast from the boat as we trolled along and caught trout on the surface with a Berkley Flicker Shad in a ghost perch pattern.  My brother had a hoot and land about a dozen rainbows that way. The most productive spot was the bluffs on the south as we came back to the dam. 

We ended up with a limit of rainbows with one 13 inch koke mixed in.  

I just wonder if other fisherman have experienced the same thing.  Slow fishing for Kokanee.

Looking at stocking reports, the F&G has stocked the lake every year for the past 3 years with over 100,000 fingerlings every year. Some years over 200,000.   I think these are probably just 3 year fish with some maybe going 4 years and then spawning.  

Just wondering what happened in 2020 with the Kokes.  Any theories or ideas?

Matthew
Thanks for the report, I've wondered the same thing, I pointed out your post to a Gorge biologist, hopefully he will chime in on your post.
Got up there yesterday with Liketrolling and noticed the same thing, it was a NBB(Nothing But Bow) day for us, pretty Sad that a great fishery like the Nelle could be so hot one year but almost dead the next year.
I have fished Jordanelle quite a bit this year. Caught our first kokanee when we launched off of the Personal Water Craft ramp on February 29. We have had a lot of luck, catching 3-8 kokanee on every trip. Most times we launched by 5:30am and were off the water by 9:00am. I believe the power squadron negatively impacts the kokanee bite as soon as the first wave runners/jet skis hit the water. I have tried to fish a couple of evenings and both times we only caught 1 koke. Evenings on Jordanelle have NOT been good.

I have been generally impressed with the size of the mature fish we have caught. Not as big as Strawberry or the Gorge but we have caught several fish between 2.5 and 3 pounds.

I know there has been a lot of discussion about the tendency of the fish at Jordanelle to feed at more shallow levels than other reservoirs. I believe that is true. There were many days in June when I didn't see any fish on the graph but caught our limits running our rigs between 8 and 20 feet. We don't see the large schools that we see at Strawberry or the Gorge which I believe means there is lower fish density in the lake.

I have been really happy with our experience on Jordanelle this year. I love being able to launch early, catch a handful of fish, and be in the office in Salt Lake before 10:00am.

These are pictures of the better fish we caught on a couple of mornings in early August

[Image: 20200805-091918.jpg]

[Image: 20200804-094738.jpg]
Maybe that was the problem for us yesterday, we could have been fishing too deep but with the surface water temps being 70 degrees, it seems crazy they would be that shallow but you can't argue with your success. Power squad wasn't too bad yesterday but we were off the water by noon.
(08-20-2020, 10:21 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote: Maybe that was the problem for us yesterday, we could have been fishing too deep but with the surface water temps being 70 degrees, it seems crazy they would be that shallow but you can't argue with your success. Power squad wasn't too bad yesterday but we were off the water by noon.
Those fish we caught the week of August 3-7 were running about 35 feet.
(08-20-2020, 10:49 PM)T-Squared Wrote:
(08-20-2020, 10:21 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote: Maybe that was the problem for us yesterday, we could have been fishing too deep but with the surface water temps being 70 degrees, it seems crazy they would be that shallow but you can't argue with your success. Power squad wasn't too bad yesterday but we were off the water by noon.
Those fish we caught the week of August 3-7 were running about 35 feet.
That was the depth we were fishing yesterday and that was the depth we were marking them too. Must have been just a bad day.
I fished Jordanelle 10 times from May 10 to 8/5 my last trip before hunting and other stuff.
I only fished it once in July I was chasing Kokes elsewhere got skunked for Kokes that trip. Fisrr time skunked for Kokes st Jordanelle in 3 years.
Here is what I found 5 trips in May caught 33 limits most trips 2 anglers fast fishing. One trip only got 2 but it was so windy should not have even gone out, roughed it out cause I had promised my sister a Koke trip.
3 trips in June got 14 total, one trip I fished alone got my 4.
July as mentioned above got skunked
my only trip .
Last year 2019 in July killed them all July usually limits in a few hours, one trip 4 anglers and we got 16 in an hour and a half.. I think I fished it 5 or 6 times in July 2019 total.
Fished it once in August on the 5th and two of us got 6 kokes.
So total 53 kokes in 10 trips this year.
It was good this year early (Most of us missed out due to Covid) May and June It was pretty good and got much tougher from then on this year. Last year it was good/better all summer thru July.
Not sure what is happening at Jordanelle overall I can’t complain some nice sized fish, but definitely not as good as last year or the year before.
I do think I saw more pressure this year than previous 2 years.
One addition I noticed post since I started this I got most kokes last year and this year at 10 feet or less ALL summer
August 5 trip I could only get rainbows shallow all 6 kokes we got were at 25 feet.
Mildog out
Ps excuse typos entering on phone.
time spent fishing isn't deducted from ones life
I can't eat fish that fast...
(08-20-2020, 03:37 PM)Outfishing13 Wrote: Hopefully my post will catch the attention of a F&G biologist, since I would like to hear what may be going on with the Jordanelle Kokanee and if they think that the system is ever going to be self sustaining and the salmon will ever start the process of self recruitment.  

This year I only fished at Jordanelle two times for Kokanee. Around the End of May and again this past weekend, primarily due to Covid.  I wanted to fish earlier, but it was closed to all but the Wasatch County residents.  When I did go in May, I got skunked. Not even a trout.  That day there were other fishermen who I saw had the same poor luck.  Sine then I have only seen a few good reports about Jordanelle.

After that day, I didn't head back and went to Strawberry for Kokanee and concentrated on learning to fish for Walleye this year on Deer Creek.  Then this past weekend I headed back for Kokanee on Jordanelle.  Last year at this time, I had a couple really good fishing trips there, so I wanted to see if it was going to be productive again the middle of August.

Anyhow, we started out around 8:30 and headed to the narrows and trolled along the south cliff and fairly far up the narrows.  Soon we found some schools of planter trout in the 12-13 inch range that would not leave the gear alone. I have just one downrigger which I used at depth ranging from 25-60 feet as I spotted targets on the fish finder.  Other rigs I set up with Walker TripZ divers from 30-40 feet down.  

Later we cast from the boat as we trolled along and caught trout on the surface with a Berkley Flicker Shad in a ghost perch pattern.  My brother had a hoot and land about a dozen rainbows that way. The most productive spot was the bluffs on the south as we came back to the dam. 

We ended up with a limit of rainbows with one 13 inch koke mixed in.  

I just wonder if other fisherman have experienced the same thing.  Slow fishing for Kokanee.

Looking at stocking reports, the F&G has stocked the lake every year for the past 3 years with over 100,000 fingerlings every year. Some years over 200,000.   I think these are probably just 3 year fish with some maybe going 4 years and then spawning.  

Just wondering what happened in 2020 with the Kokes.  Any theories or ideas?

Matthew
This was my first year fishing at Jordanelle for Kokanee.  I consider myself a pretty successful kokanee fisherman at Strawberry but being lazy I thought I would try Jordanelle this year.

Jordanelle fishes a lot different than Strawberry.  What works at Strawberry isn't as great at Jordanelle, But I am still trying to figure Jordanelle out.  On all of our trips we caught our limit - except 1 we brought in 7...  But my biggest complaint is that I could not consistiently catch them at Jordanelle.  One Thursday (Holliday Weekend) a friend and I caught close to 40 in a couple hours, we went back on Friday with my daughter and we only caught 12 and had to work hard for them.  The lake was surprisingly not busy on either day as I expected.  

Some things I have noticed with Jordanelle - The fish are ALWAYS shallow.  Deepest I have caught them at was 15-25 ft (19 being the best that day) but most days it is on the surface or 5-10 feet down.

The fish at Jordanelle also like to sleep in.  I've never done well before the sun is up or on the water.

Most of what we are catching does not show up on my finder - they are too shallow.  This makes finding large schools hard to find.  It is also tough to know if you need to change things up.

I also hear a lot of whining of regarding the power squadron at Jordanelle.  They have the right to use the lake as we do and most all have kept well more than the required 150 ft distance from our vessel above wakeless and a good wake every once in a while is awesome for kokanee fishing!  It really changes up the action and we always hook them on a nice wake.  On the negative side, since the fish are so shallow I think they shut off pretty quick when the power fleet finally shows up in full force.

I think I (we) need just a bit more time to figure out how to really consistently slaughter them at the 'Nelle

I was impressed with the average size at Jordanelle, I thought the average was a bit bigger than Strawberry.  I'll keep trying Jordanelle for sure when time is a bit limited.  Easily home by 11:00 with a few limits!

Best of luck!
(08-22-2020, 04:32 PM)unluckytwo Wrote: This was my first year fishing at Jordanelle for Kokanee.  I consider myself a pretty successful kokanee fisherman at Strawberry but being lazy I thought I would try Jordanelle this year.

Jordanelle fishes a lot different than Strawberry.  What works at Strawberry isn't as great at Jordanelle, But I am still trying to figure Jordanelle out.  On all of our trips we caught our limit - except 1 we brought in 7...  But my biggest complaint is that I could not consistiently catch them at Jordanelle.  One Thursday (Holliday Weekend) a friend and I caught close to 40 in a couple hours, we went back on Friday with my daughter and we only caught 12 and had to work hard for them.  The lake was surprisingly not busy on either day as I expected.  

Some things I have noticed with Jordanelle - The fish are ALWAYS shallow.  Deepest I have caught them at was 15-25 ft (19 being the best that day) but most days it is on the surface or 5-10 feet down.

The fish at Jordanelle also like to sleep in.  I've never done well before the sun is up or on the water.

Most of what we are catching does not show up on my finder - they are too shallow.  This makes finding large schools hard to find.  It is also tough to know if you need to change things up.

I also hear a lot of whining of regarding the power squadron at Jordanelle.  They have the right to use the lake as we do and most all have kept well more than the required 150 ft distance from our vessel above wakeless and a good wake every once in a while is awesome for kokanee fishing!  It really changes up the action and we always hook them on a nice wake.  On the negative side, since the fish are so shallow I think they shut off pretty quick when the power fleet finally shows up in full force.

I think I (we) need just a bit more time to figure out how to really consistently slaughter them at the 'Nelle

I was impressed with the average size at Jordanelle, I thought the average was a bit bigger than Strawberry.  I'll keep trying Jordanelle for sure when time is a bit limited.  Easily home by 11:00 with a few limits!

Best of luck!
Welcome to the site. Last year we found that to be true, at least the part about getting off the water early with limits but this year was totally different. That being said, that was my first trip up there this year, so I don't have much to base that on, other than what other members are saying. This year there have been fewer members posting about successful trip, vs members posting about poor outings, so I've stayed away. It's not just Jordanelle, the Gorge and the Berry have not been producing well either. The Gorge biologist thought it could be the result of the warmer temps but wasn't sure. I think it has a lot to do with a more folks out on the water during the week but who knows. If I get up there again I'll for sure try fishing shallow. When was the last time you fished the Nelle?
I agree on the Shallow at Jordanelle for sure! I have caught 90% of the many Kokes for the last 3 years at 10 feet or less. ( all summer long) I have been trying to clue people in on that for some time. Many just wanted to argue or disagree,
PS Jordanelle is not the only Lake that Kokes are shallow at least part of the time. I feel many anglers miss them when they are shallow because they are difficult to pick up on the finder. I fished another Lake that shall remain nameless in early July with warm water temps and caught limits each of the 3 days we fished it and got all of them at 10 feet or less, early and including mid day.
So doesn't hurt to try shallow for location purpose.
Tight lines,
Mildog
Did a Google search about shallow water kokes. Lots of intresting articles. Mostly what you would expect - chase em shallow in the spring - kinda articles - but there are "others" out there who defie traditional koke mindset and pound the shallows in the heat. Not sure i understand the science behind that, but Ms Twicheel told me, in second grade, that science may not be my thing.
Remember: keep the lid on the worms, share your jerky, and stop by to say hi to Cookie and the Cowboy-Pirate crew
Ond thing I have noticed about many Kokanee studies. They are done in more northern and colder climates. They dont have much data on the warm water, because those conditions may not exist, so hard to study or make observations based on that. Several I have read are from British Columbia. I would assume the conditions up there may be quite different. I can tell you I have caught numerous Kokes at 10 feet or less with surface temps at 70. On a trip a year ago July, Surface 70.2 and the temp at 10 Feet and 15 feet was 67.9 and temp at 45 feet was 54.5 a temperature more "suited" to Kokes. Yet could not catch any fishing that deep got limits at 10 feet and 5 feet. This was at Jordanelle a lake known to produce shallow Koke action. On a trip in early July, I mentioned before at an un-named lake, surface temp was 68.9 and we got limits 3 days straight with most fish at 10 and 5 feet deepest we got that trip was 15 feet. So go figure. I know it works to try shallow sometimes so don't overlook that option.
Mildog
Possibly more dietary production (algae and plankton) shallower in a lake like Jordanelle vs. Strawberry that has lots of good stuff across the entire water column. Kokes in J are drawn shallow during the bloom (after the sun hits the water) and then drop deeper in the dark to cool off. Seems to be a pattern for lower reservoirs that don't have as much biomass for the fish to feed on. I have seen it in many reservoirs where the depths are pretty sterile.
Thanks for all the input! I am so happy about all the feedback.  Shallow at Jordanelle makes sense.  Here is something I observed last year.

The times I went fishing there were in August, so it was still pretty warm. I fished one rod on my downrigger (deeper). The other three rods I used a diver to get to 20 feet or less.  We caught most of the fish on the 20 foot divers! And they were probably fishing closer to 10-15 feet. Also, the fish were coming up warm to the touch.  Meaning they were feeding in the shallower, warmer water and perhaps above the thermocline.  I was a little surprised to handle a fish that warm.  We put them right on ice.  

I will remember this next time I go.  Fish Jordanelle shallow for kokes.  

One more question, if you are willing to share.  What places on Jordanelle did you find the most successful for Kokes?  I tend to head straight to the opening of the narrows since that was where I caught them the first year I started.  One fellow mentioned right outside the boat launch. I would never have tried that, but I may be more inclined to try various places next year when I go.

Thanks again!
Matthew
Yes we have noticed when fishing early in the day up there many times the fish are warmer than the air temp when you catch them, kind of strange sensation. We always have a cooler full of crushed ice and put the kokes in the ice immediately. No problem with the eating quality when handled that way.

Mildog out

As far as "areas" of the lake. It is not that big a body of water. It is worth doing some looking around and searching by fishing, remember shallow fish are hard to find on fish finder. I can say I have caught fish in 4 distinct different areas than where most most of the action is and people are regularly fishing for them.
Take some time to explore it can pay off. But remember the golden rule, if you are getting them "Don't leave fish to find fish" LOL

Mildog out