Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
First try sushi
[Image: IMG-0595.jpg]Getting ready for salmon season. My daughter and I decided to make sushi from a frozen fillet from last season - baked, not raw. If you want to see the recipe google, Frankie struggle sushi - it is a video. Frankie does cooking videos for people on the cheap.
Write back when you've tried actual sushi, willya?
Not sure I will ever try actual sushi or sashimi (raw fish) as in my former life I was a Laboratory Scientist/Microbiologist - recently retired. I also taught Parasitology at BYU for a semester. There is a little thing called the broad fish tapeworm, Diphyllobothrium latum that is contracted by consumption of raw or undercooked fish. I know that they sell sushi grade fish/salmon, but with my background, I just cannot bring myself to eat fish raw.
I don't know of any sushi/sashimi that isn't deep frozen to transport it. Does your background confirm that deep freezing kills those nasties?
Deep freezing probably does kill most parasites.
Thanks, I thought so. I dearly love sushi and sashimi, but I wouldn't take a bite out of one right out of the water, for the reasons you mentioned. I have in the past eaten fresh-caught bluegill with no ill effects, but it's so much better cooked that I gave that up.

Anyway, if you some day manage to get over your education, I think you'd enjoy sushi.
(05-03-2021, 12:57 AM)brookie Wrote: Deep freezing probably does kill most parasites.
Freezing definitely kills parasitic worms (helminths). Sushi in the U.S. is required by law to be frozen before prepared and sold. Freezing doesn’t kill bacteria or viruses however so that is why meat (not well handled fish) needs to be cooked.
(05-02-2021, 06:01 PM)brookie Wrote: Not sure I will ever try actual sushi or sashimi (raw fish) as in my former life I was a Laboratory Scientist/Microbiologist - recently retired. I also taught Parasitology at BYU for a semester. There is a little thing called the broad fish tapeworm, Diphyllobothrium latum that is contracted by consumption of raw or undercooked fish. I know that they sell sushi grade fish/salmon, but with my background, I just cannot bring myself to eat fish raw.
This is probably why I was told not to eat sushi after lung transplant.

I have tried raw fish (tuna and salmon), but not sure I'd eat them again. My favorite sushi is smoked eel, and Philly roll (smoked salmon, avocado, cream cheese)
(05-03-2021, 12:57 AM)brookie Wrote: Deep freezing probably does kill most parasites.
In general, killing parasites requires freezing and storing fish at a surrounding temperature of minus 4 degrees Fahrenheit or colder for seven days; or freezing at a surrounding temperature of minus 31 degrees or colder until the fish is solid and storing at the same temperature for 15 hours; or freezing at a surrounding temperature of minus 31 degrees until the fish is solid and storing at minus 4 degrees or below for 24 hours.

FDA guidelines
Sunrise on the water