Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2021 wiperhunter's Garden
(06-13-2021, 09:57 PM)jjannie Wrote: just got in from giving the gardens a second watering for today. These Aug temps in June are going to be killers to the gardens this year. Your plants of course are way ahead of ours. It was 44 here last night and with hot daytime temps stuff dries out so fast and I know the roots are not fully developed so they don't run very deep yet.
I agree and what I found out today is the cucumbers that I have replanted three times have died again. I think I'm going to planted something different, like snow peas or green beans or both. The strawberries look good but they are slowing down on producing.
Here is that pic from my first yellow squash of 2021. My zucchini plants have a lot of blossoms but none are producing yet.

[Image: first-yellowsquash-from-2021.jpg]
(06-24-2021, 10:29 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote: Here is that pic from my first yellow squash of 2021. My zucchini plants have a lot of blossoms but none are producing yet.

Guess I haven't been posting much since the garden kicked into high gear, getting between 8 and 10 Zucchini and yellow squash every other day. Although they are nowhere near the size of the 30 lb watermelon I got from my old garden, I am starting to get a few, the largest was 7.5 lb. Also got a couple of cantaloupe, also pretty small, likely only a few lbs. Two days ago I finally got 5 green beans and today I got 20, so they are about ready to finally take off.

[Image: watermelon-and-green-beans-2021.jpg]
(08-08-2021, 10:09 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote:
(06-24-2021, 10:29 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote: Here is that pic from my first yellow squash of 2021. My zucchini plants have a lot of blossoms but none are producing yet.

Guess I haven't been posting much since the garden kicked into high gear, getting between 8 and 10 Zucchini and yellow squash every other day. Although they are nowhere near the size of the 30 lb watermelon I got from my old garden, I am starting to get a few, the largest was 7.5 lb. Also got a couple of cantaloupe, also pretty small, likely only a few lbs. Two days ago I finally got 5 green beans and today I got 20, so they are about ready to finally take off.

[Image: watermelon-and-green-beans-2021.jpg]
we gave up on the watermelons this year and thought we'd focus on cantaloupe - but so far they are only up to golf ball sized! Did a big harvest of bush beans, got 2 three pound bags full, Didn't even get to the pole beans in the greenhouse before we ran out of time.
(08-10-2021, 03:30 PM)jjannie Wrote:

we gave up on the watermelons this year and thought we'd focus on cantaloupe - but so far they are only up to golf ball sized! Did a big harvest of bush beans, got 2 three pound bags full, Didn't even get to the pole beans in the greenhouse before we ran out of time.

Yea, to get decent sized watermelons they need a lot of room. These watermelon I've been picking are the largest I have been able to grow since I had to relocate my garden. Wow, that is a lot of green beans(GB). My count on my GB went up to 65 yesterday.
(08-11-2021, 08:48 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote:
(08-10-2021, 03:30 PM)jjannie Wrote:

Yea, to get decent sized watermelons they need a lot of room. These watermelon I've been picking are the largest I have been able to grow since I had to relocate my garden. Wow, that is a lot of green beans(GB). My count on my GB went up to 65 yesterday.
We're hoping once we get back home from our trip we'll be busy harvesting/preserving. Jeff saw a cantaloupe that was a little bigger than a golf ball, maybe baseball-sized, so look forward to seeing once we are home again....
I need to add some current pics of my garden but until them here are a couple of our green bean haul from just one picking, plus one of our yellow squash and zucchini.

[Image: GBhaul.jpg]

[Image: Zinnia-flowers.jpg]

[Image: Yellowsquash-and-Zuccihni.jpg]
Nice haul for sure. We have some zucchini to be picked its just hard to get to it with sprawling tomato plants - not sure if any yelow squash are ready at this time but we still have some in the fridge that will get cooked up tomorrow.
(08-24-2021, 12:07 AM)jjannie Wrote: Nice haul for sure. We have some zucchini to be picked its just hard to get to it with sprawling tomato plants - not sure if any yelow squash are ready at this time but we still have some in the fridge that will get cooked up tomorrow.

More garden pics, close up of garden box #1 and #2. From my last pics you can now see the kale plants in #1 and the Green beans in box #2 

[Image: Sept-garden-1.jpg]

[Image: sept-garden-2.jpg]
They turned off our secondary water last Sat, now I'm forced to water my garden with city water. Wasn't sure how much to water, seemed about the same or the yellow squash and zucchini but the green beans seems to really like the new waterings because I'm getting record pickings, 336 two days ago, today I got 535, it was an amazing amount, since I just picked them two days earlier.

[Image: recordgreenbeanharvest.jpg]
That a LOT of green beans. We don't have a secondary water option but we too have cut back on the watering hoping it might help trigger our tomatoes into ripening faster.
Took some more pics, before the garden really goes down hill. It occurred to me I had not posted any pics of my strawberry boxes and green bean box. The next two pics are of garden box #1 & #2, this view is not as close as the last ones I posted. My yellow squash plants have already taken a down turn but the zucchini and green beans are still looking good.

[Image: 20210919-130402-HDR.jpg]

[Image: 20210919-130448.jpg]

[Image: 20210919-130435.jpg]

ar hosted 18
Those are looking really nice. We got volunteer cherry tomato that grew in one of ours. it must have come from our compost. We are still getting few strawberries. When we moved our potted tomatoes from their area into the garage we did notice some strawberry plants growing in the pots as well. Again, it must have come from repurposed soil we used from the old strawberries. Our thought is strawberries must be pretty hardy to have survived like that. 

If we get through the next 2 frosty nights we should should be good for at least another week, possibly even longer.
Here are our predicted temps this week, 41 is our lowest temps in the next week but if your guys are 10 degrees cooler that could spell trouble for sure:
https://www.ksl.com/weather/forecast/Ogden
Well my garden is done for the year and good timing too because our 6 ft flat laying freezer is full with blanched, yellow squash, zucchini, green beans, kale. Also peaches and smoked salmon, that we will will start bottling this week. Since they shut off our secondary water earlier than normal this year, I continued to water with culinary water for another month, finally stopping when we started getting rain and that killing frost. The green beans and strawberry's are still going but without a steady water supply I doubt they will last much longer.
We too, will be canning some fish up during the rainy days, in between working on GH addition when its not raining. Its all part of winter preparations. We don't have secondary water, but we shut off our sprinklers weeks ago so we've been using up our collected rain water if anything got too stressed. Changing the watering does help things ripen a bit faster but the recent hard frost and snowfall we got put an end to the protected cherry tomato garden. Now we only have the GH plants that are still producing some.
(10-17-2021, 08:22 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote: The green beans and strawberry's are still going but without a steady water supply I doubt they will last much longer.

This time of year they should be fine with no additional water beyond what falls from the sky.
(10-18-2021, 04:58 PM)kentofnsl Wrote:
(10-17-2021, 08:22 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote: The green beans and strawberry's are still going but without a steady water supply I doubt they will last much longer.

This time of year they should be fine with no additional water beyond what falls from the sky.

How is your garden holding up Kent? I haven't checked the Green Beans(GB) since last week but when I last picked them, the harvest had dropped from 200 GB harvest when I was watering, to 36 after I stopped watering.
(10-18-2021, 07:08 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote: How is your garden holding up Kent? I haven't checked the Green Beans(GB) since last week but when I last picked them, the harvest had dropped from 200 GB harvest when I was watering, to 36 after I stopped watering.

Other than being frozen it is doing great.  I think your decrease in production is likely more related to weather and seasonal change more than water reduction.
(10-18-2021, 08:34 PM)kentofnsl Wrote:
(10-18-2021, 07:08 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote: How is your garden holding up Kent? I haven't checked the Green Beans(GB) since last week but when I last picked them, the harvest had dropped from 200 GB harvest when I was watering, to 36 after I stopped watering.

Other than being frozen it is doing great.  I think your decrease in production is likely more related to weather and seasonal change more than water reduction.

So everything in your garden froze? You could be right about the seasonal change but either way it's that time of the year.