Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pineview 10/31
Got on the water around 8am (would of been 740 butdidnt realize cemetary boat ramp was closed - oops).

Threw big tubes for muskie down the dam arm until about 10. Got bored and decided to go find the crappie.

Found them in about 40 FOW and hit the spot lock. I was vertically jigging about two cranks off the bottom. A white on white rooster tail, and a glow swedish pimple with a glow salt and pepper ant plastic trailer. 

I was off either browning point or cemetary, I don't know the lake well.

Cookie cutter size, good enough for hot fish tacos. Overall maybe 10-14".

What was interesting is I never marked a full school, never saw the fish I was catching on my graph, they must be hugging the bottom tight...

When the perch came biting, I just moved 50 yards and I was back into the crappie.

[Image: 20201031-111229.jpg][Image: Video-Capture-20201031-153157.jpg]
Thanks for the report, where did you end up launching from? Nice mess of crappie!
Launched out of the port ramp, the area to the sides of the ramp is noce and sandy so I could beach the boat while I parked the truck.

Thank you - they were delicious.
I may be wrong, but I think you’re underselling your catch. 10-14” crappie are hardly cookie cutters for Pineview. No doubt there is a population of that size in there, but it’s certainly not the majority or average. Congrats on a good day.
Thank you - the bigger ones came on the rooster tail. I left my jigging rap box in my truck, but I want to go back and give it a shot with the smaller raps. The larger lures seem to work like a filter. (Perch always seem to find a way though)

Thank you. Hopefully I can do it again when ice comes. I've never had sucess there.
(11-01-2020, 03:11 PM)PAC12_AfterDark Wrote: Launched out of the port ramp, the area to the sides of the ramp is noce and sandy so I could beach the boat while I parked the truck.

When I ice fish there I go off of Cemetery point, but launched a couple of times boat/kayak from Port ramp. I'm not completely familiar with all the points and inlets there either, but we found decent sized crappie like you did at middle inlet ( according to the boat owner who's very familiar).

(11-01-2020, 05:03 PM)EyLayo Wrote: I may be wrong, but I think you’re underselling your catch. 10-14” crappie are hardly cookie cutters for Pineview. No doubt there is a population of that size in there, but it’s certainly not the majority or average. Congrats on a good day.

Completely agree! I have found some larger ones this year about a month ago, but typically I find the smaller 5-8" class.
(10-31-2020, 09:34 PM)PAC12_AfterDark Wrote: Got on the water around 8am (would of been 740 butdidnt realize cemetary boat ramp was closed - oops).

Threw big tubes for muskie down the dam arm until about 10. Got bored and decided to go find the crappie.

Found them in about 40 FOW and hit the spot lock. I was vertically jigging about two cranks off the bottom. A white on white rooster tail, and a glow swedish pimple with a glow salt and pepper ant plastic trailer. 

I was off either browning point or cemetary, I don't know the lake well.

Cookie cutter size, good enough for hot fish tacos. Overall maybe 10-14".

What was interesting is I never marked a full school, never saw the fish I was catching on my graph, they must be hugging the bottom tight...

When the perch came biting, I just moved 50 yards and I was back into the crappie.
I agree with Eylayo, crappie in that range are about as big as you get in utah, especially up North here. Were you tipping your jig with any bait? Any size to the perch you caught?
Its been a while since I have seen a post with PV crappie that have size. Good to see they still haunt the waters
Remember: keep the lid on the worms, share your jerky, and stop by to say hi to Cookie and the Cowboy-Pirate crew
(11-02-2020, 10:33 PM)JArner Wrote:
(11-01-2020, 03:11 PM)PAC12_AfterDark Wrote: Launched out of the port ramp, the area to the sides of the ramp is noce and sandy so I could beach the boat while I parked the truck.

When I ice fish there I go off of Cemetery point, but launched a couple of times boat/kayak from Port ramp. I'm not completely familiar with all the points and inlets there either, but we found decent sized crappie like you did at middle inlet ( according to the boat owner who's very familiar).

(11-01-2020, 05:03 PM)EyLayo Wrote: I may be wrong, but I think you’re underselling your catch. 10-14” crappie are hardly cookie cutters for Pineview. No doubt there is a population of that size in there, but it’s certainly not the majority or average. Congrats on a good day.

Completely agree! I have found some larger ones this year about a month ago, but typically I find the smaller 5-8" class.

Apologies didnt see this until no, I was tipping with a plastic ant is all, no bait. Nothing at all on the rooster tail.

The perch were not very large.
(11-03-2020, 12:38 AM)wiperhunter2 Wrote: I agree with Eylayo, crappie in that range are about as big as you get in utah, especially up North here. Were you tipping your jig with any bait? Any size to the perch you caught?
I remember in the early 1990's when you could catch crappie at pineview that were in 15-16 inch range. Shortly after the introduction of tiger musky, those days disappeared. I have caught nice 15 inch crappie in Deer creek in the last few years. I think it will be an up and coming crappie powerhouse. I wish I could get over and hit up Deer creek in my float tube, but life is too busy at the moment.
Gabe
(11-05-2020, 03:16 AM)Freakyfisherman Wrote:
(11-03-2020, 12:38 AM)wiperhunter2 Wrote: I agree with Eylayo, crappie in that range are about as big as you get in utah, especially up North here. Were you tipping your jig with any bait? Any size to the perch you caught?
I remember in the early 1990's when you could catch crappie at pineview that were in 15-16 inch range. Shortly after the introduction of tiger musky, those days disappeared. I have caught nice 15 inch crappie in Deer creek in the last few years. I think it will be an up and coming crappie powerhouse. I wish I could get over and hit up Deer creek in my float tube, but life is too busy at the moment.
Gabe
I know there are a couple of places where those bigger crappie are caught but I never hear of any numbers of them but it does not mean they are not around. Good to hear the DC has some of these bigger fish.
(11-05-2020, 03:16 AM)Freakyfisherman Wrote: I remember in the early 1990's when you could catch crappie at pineview that were in 15-16 inch range. Shortly after the introduction of tiger musky, those days disappeared. I have caught nice 15 inch crappie in Deer creek in the last few years. I think it will be an up and coming crappie powerhouse. I wish I could get over and hit up Deer creek in my float tube, but life is too busy at the moment.
Gabe
  Funny, I had the exact opposite experience.   I used to go to PV and catch a bucket of skinny 8-9" crappies.  A couple years after the muskies went in, I'd catch maybe 1/5th the numbers, but they were all 11-1/2 to 13".