Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I voted for Deer Creek 11-3-20
Election day.  So I voted NO on president.  Still kept hearing that I should go to the polls.  I thought I heard "poles".  So I grabbed a few and went fishing.

Been almost two years since I last fished DC.  Thought I'd do a perch search.  Often good this time of year.  Air temp a balmy 35 and water temp 51 at launch.  Warmer than Willard.  But no perch voted for me today.  Probably Bidenites.

Trout?  That was a differment story.  Hooked the first one on my first cast...on a small plastic intended for perch.  Trout sometimes don't read the directions.  Caught the second a few minutes later on a black marabou jig.  After that I kept catching them on everything I fished for perch as well as the spinners and crankbaits I dragged at times specifically for larger rainbows.  Most of them were in the upper part of the water column but I did catch a couple on the bottom in over 30 feet of water while vertical jigging for the perchy marks on my sonar.
[Image: PERCH-PLASTIC.jpg][Image: RAINBOW.jpg]

I'm guessing they have not made the annual planting of "Finless Freddies"...the hatchery pets.  All the trout I caught were over 14 inches...with some nudging toward 20 inches.  Hit hard and fought well.  Decided to keep some for the table...and to share with my sis-in-law.  They love fish but don't got a clue about how to catch it.  Rainbows from Deer Creek usually have nice red flesh and taste great.
[Image: TAKE-HOME.jpg]

It was pretty calm all morning.  Noticed some noses poking up near the far shoreline and motored over to investigate.  A herd of big ol' carp were slurping up some of the "algae peas" that build up on the surface about this time of year.  I resisted the urge to "force feed" one.  Continued on with my perch search and trout fest.
[Image: ALGAE-PEAS.jpg]

Quite a few boats on the pond this morning...from tin bathtubs to large pontoons with several geezers pulling pop gear.  As I looked around, I noticed that many of the boats were enjoying a measure of trout votes too.  I shuddered as I tried to imagine what a "Nancy Pelosi" trout would look like.

Somewhere around 10 am the wide open troutarama closed up shop and the polls closed.  No more voting for a long period of time.  I went a half hour without a sniff...and did not see anybody else on the lake using their net or even just  going bendo.  I already had about 4 keeper bows in my basket and didn't want/need any more.  So I rocketed in to the ramp and made an early departure.  Man, that was a long hike back up the ramp to get my vehicle and load my tube.  Gettin old.  But I can still vote.
[Image: TIMP-NO-SNOW.jpg][Image: DISTANCING.jpg][Image: LONG-HIKE.jpg]
Sounds like a great way to spend election day!
Been so long long since I heard a trout or deer creek report I forgot you did that haha j/k I know you are the master now if it were with fly rod......nah that wouldn't surprise me either. Great report glad you are still getting out regardless of the chill it's great to read your reports.
(11-03-2020, 09:55 PM)Mooseman75 Wrote: Been so long long since I heard a trout or deer creek report I forgot you did that haha j/k I know you are the master now if it were with fly rod......nah that wouldn't surprise me either. Great report glad you are still getting out regardless of the chill it's great to read your reports.
Thankee sir.  Been fishing Deer Creek since the early 1960s.  But when it was off limits with the quagga mussel thing I kinda got away from it.  Still know a few things about it and I can't ever remember getting skunked on DC.

Glad you like my "downloads".  I assure you I enjoy doing the field work to be able to put them together.

How are the boys doing?
Marabou jigs for trout? No way. Won’t work. Nope.
(11-05-2020, 02:34 AM)BG1 Wrote: Marabou jigs for trout? No way. Won’t work. Nope.
Oops.  Did I misspeak myself?  Sssshhh.
(11-03-2020, 07:47 PM)TubeDude Wrote: I'm guessing they have not made the annual planting of "Finless Freddies"...the hatchery pets.  All the trout I caught were over 14 inches...with some nudging toward 20 inches.  Hit hard and fought well.

Thanks for the great report, Pat.  I can't remember the last time I saw a slimmer in your basket. Tongue

The "Finless Freddies" were in there, they just didn't have a mouth large enough to fit over your offerings. Wink

Keep on keeping on and keep the reports coming, very entertaining reading in these dire news times.

RAINBOW  1,770  10.19"   03/25/2020
RAINBOW  1,770  10.19"   03/25/2020
RAINBOW  1,298  10.19"   03/25/2020
RAINBOW  6,582  10.03"   03/26/2020
RAINBOW  6,582  10.03"   03/26/2020
RAINBOW  37,208   4.1"    08/18/2020
RAINBOW  9,604     9.0"   08/20/2020
RAINBOW  39,996  4.96"  09/30/2020
It looks like the walleye and larger trout will be eating well this winter.
Live to hunt----- Hunt to live.
Pat my boys are doing really well. I have them all home with me as I try to teach them heaven help them...but they are healthier than they have ever been. They are doing quite well on home schooling now as they get a grasp on it. So all thing considered we are good. Except we ain't a fishin... But I appreciate you asking that is kind of you
(11-05-2020, 10:24 PM)Mooseman75 Wrote: Pat my boys are doing really well. I have them all home with me as I try to teach them heaven help them...but they are healthier than they have ever been. They are doing quite well on home schooling now as they get a grasp on it. So all thing considered we are good. Except we ain't a fishin... But I appreciate you asking that is kind of you
Let's hope this crazy covid world gets back some semblance of "normal" by next year.  Those boys need to spend time in school but time on the water is equally beneficial.