Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Successful Willard perch search
Wiperslayer and I hit Willard this morning around 8am. After talking to TubeDude for a few minutes we headed off to search for some jumbo perch. Water temps were finally getting low enough that we were hoping for a successful day. We were marking fish but we were not sure if they would bite so we just gave it a try and were pleasantly surprised to start catching some nice perch. All morning we caught jumbo perch, with the Silver flig catching the majority of them but a few came to the firetiger flig as well. Around noon the jumbo perch catching stopped and we were left with the runts, little 10 inchers, until we called it quits around 2 pm. Cats, we picked up a few but nothing noteworthy. Here are a couple of pics of our catch.
[Image: Willard-perch-nov-12-20-012.jpg]

[Image: Willard-perch-nov-12-20-011.jpg]
Wow, you two sure find the jumbos out there.  Very nice!  That 13" is a hog!
(11-13-2020, 04:00 AM)wiperhunter2 Wrote: Wiperslayer and I hit Willard this morning around 8am. After talking to TubeDude for a few minutes we headed off to search for some jumbo perch. Water temps were finally getting low enough that we were hoping for a successful day. We were marking fish but we were not sure if they would bite so we just gave it a try and were pleasantly surprised to start catching some nice perch. All morning we caught jumbo perch, with the Silver flig catching the majority of them but a few came to the firetiger flig as well. Around noon the jumbo perch catching stopped and we were left with the runts, little 10 inchers, until we called it quits around 2 pm. Cats, we picked up a few but nothing noteworthy. Here are a couple of pics of our catch.
[Image: Willard-perch-nov-12-20-012.jpg]

[Image: Willard-perch-nov-12-20-011.jpg]

What a fun morning! Way to go and thanks for sharing.
Nice work.  Glad you guys found some active ones.  I got my first cat (25") just as you guys were heading out.  The second came about an hour later.  Other than a couple of wimpy bites, that was it for me.
Way to go Curt, that's an impressive catch for Utah.... You sure have that pond figured out... Thanks for the report.. Jeff
When things get stressful think I'll go fish'en and worry about it tomorrow!
Nice toads. Good to see them showing up
Remember: keep the lid on the worms, share your jerky, and stop by to say hi to Cookie and the Cowboy-Pirate crew
Appreciate the report Curt. Those are some good size for table fare.
(11-13-2020, 04:03 AM)Jig-fisher Wrote: Wow, you two sure find the jumbos out there.  Very nice!  That 13" is a hog!
Most of those fish were between 12 and 13" but the four we caught that were only 10 inches seemed very small in comparison to the big ones.
(11-13-2020, 08:37 AM)Piscophilic Wrote: What a fun morning! Way to go and thanks for sharing.
It was one of those days that we won't soon forget but I'll be surprised to ever get a repeat. We will for sure keep trying though Wink .
(11-13-2020, 12:34 PM)TubeDude Wrote: Nice work.  Glad you guys found some active ones.  I got my first cat (25") just as you guys were heading out.  The second came about an hour later.  Other than a couple of wimpy bites, that was it for me.
No big cats for us on Thurs but there were a few that wanted to play. The perch we keep were puking up shad, so that is likely why the all silver fligs worked so well. Water was much clearer than our last trip out there two weeks ago, so I'm sure that helped as well.
(11-13-2020, 01:39 PM)SkunkedAgain Wrote: Way to go Curt, that's an impressive catch for Utah.... You sure have that pond figured out... Thanks for the report.. Jeff
Thanks Jeff, we were very happy with our days catch. Not every trip works out so well but the fligs have for sure upped our catch rate, especially in the late Fall and early Spring.
Those are some real fatties. It's fun to have days like that. Good for you two.
Wow, nice catch Curt, some great perch there.