Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bear Lake Updates
I've been getting pics and intel from a couple of other BFTers who were staying up at Bear Lake for a few days this past week.  And yesterday (Wednesday) I climbed into the boat with BearLakeFishGuy to mount a whitie search.

Reports beginning about November 29 showed there were a few fish coming in at some of the traditional spots.  But only a few sporadic catches of whitefish.  Probably about as many cutthroats as whities.  And on Tuesday the 1st of December the windy conditions kept most off the lake...and those who fished didn't do much.

The weather forecast for Wednesday was cold but sunny...with light breezes.  And that is the way it started out.  The lake was glass when I drove down at daybreak to check it out...like glass.  But as Scott and I moved out of the marina (water temp 42 degrees) there was already a breeze from the east...and a little bit of chop.  No problem.

Our game plan was to hit Gus Rich Point early and then run across the lake to 2nd Point.  Anchored up off GR and Scott had the first whitefish hookup before I made my first cast.  And then a second. I was a little slower getting started and missed a couple...and lost a couple...before bringing my first whitefish to the net.  Hey, it's been a couple of years since I last got to play with those notorious light biters and bait stealers.

Over the next couple of hours we took turns on the whitefish.  Not fast but often enough to keep us awake.  And Scott got one hyperactive cuttie.  During that time the breeze from the east got more intense...putting a bow in the lines and making it more difficult to fish with finesse...or to feel a light bite.  It also started bouncing the boat around a bit and made standing or walking a bit problematic for this old guy.

After one set of "combers" came through, we noticed the anchor had slipped and we were drifting toward the rocks.  Crank up the big motor, pull in the anchor, move and reset.  A couple more fish and then a repeat of the anchor slipping.  We mutually agreed on a couple of things.  One, we were glad we had not tried to run across the lake.  Two, that we should probably get back to the marina before it became any worse.  The ride back was bumpy.  My full bladder didn't enjoy it at all.

Once we had the boat trailered and were ready to depart hence, we did some recapping.  Scott has been on the lake for quite a few years and has a lot of history with whitefish under different conditions.  November 29 this year was the earliest he has ever caught whitefish.  He theorizes that a long warm fall might have something to do with an early run...not sure whether it will be a longer prolonged spawn...or whether it might already be going on.  We both agreed that it is still early and that there is better action to come.

Water levels are down a bit from last year, but still higher than some of the previous low water years.  So most shore fishing locations should fish well once the fish move in and get busy.

We tried quite a few lures, colors and presentations yesterday...as usual.  Strangely, some of the "tried and true" stuff that has been "money" in previous years went unmolested for several minutes of intense fishing.  It's good that I know a guy who makes lures in a wide variety of colors.  During the week several colors emerged as current favorites.  They include hot orange, chartreuse, "green poison", "diablo rojo" (red devil...black with red glitter), black neon (black with chartreuse glitter) and basic white...with or without a red eye.

As always, the main obstacle is finding fish...and the depth they are cruising.  Make fan casts and try different retrieves until you get action.  Then cast, rinse and repeat.  Keep changing up lures and presentations until you are reasonably sure there are no fish to be molested.  Then move.  But don't move to find fish if you are catching fish.  If you have caught fish in an area and it goes temporarily quiet, it may be because one school moved out...and you need to wait for another to move in.  Tough call sometimes.

I didn't take a lot of pictures yesterday.  Tough enough to focus on fishing in the bumpy water and with the wind blowing lines.  Didn't want to waste time with photography.  But here are a couple of shots you might like.
[Image: CUTT.jpg][Image: BLACK-NEON.jpg][Image: TBR.jpg][Image: PERCH-PLASTIC.jpg]
Thanks Pat for that report , That's just exactly what I was thinking would happen. I'm going to be trying for the Whitefish on Friday , going to attempt some wading this year. Hope the winds have stopped by then.
(12-03-2020, 04:58 PM)AFDan52 Wrote: Thanks Pat for that report , That's just exactly what I was thinking would happen. I'm going to be trying for the Whitefish on Friday , going to attempt some wading this year. Hope the winds have stopped by then.
Good luck.  You are likely to have some company.  I know several wading warriors who plan to assault the rocks on Friday.  But conditions should be ideal.  Forecast is for 15 degrees but only 2 mph winds early...warming to 35 degrees by 2 pm and winds still only about 4 mph.  Of course those forecasts are NEVER wrong.

I'm predicting it will be a bananner day...for anglers, if not for the fish.  Be sure to post a report.
Thanks Pat, fun to enjoy your trip since I can't do it myself this week... Kind of got a chill down my spine just reading the tales and remembering years gone by... Thanks J
When things get stressful think I'll go fish'en and worry about it tomorrow!
I was there solo yesterday (Wednesday) as well. I launched from 1st point around 0730 and made the short trip to second point. It was cold and the wind had already begun to put a chop on the water. I anchored in 5' and got one on the first cast. Unfortunately that was it. Had a couple of other light inquiries, but no more to the boat. Not long after I anchored , first 1 then another shore fisherman came down. I saw the first guy get one, and maybe one more, but that seemed all that I saw from the shore fishermen. I had trouble keeping anchored as well, though the wind kept me moving out away from shore.
I had in mind to go across the lake to the rock pile, but the chop was too intense. Every spray, froze immediately to the windshield. Decided to call it at 0930. It was too choppy even to try a run up to Cisco Beach. I loaded and drove around to the marina probably to get warm in the running truck than really try fishing on that side. Only 1 truck/trailer there - kind of a zebra striped truck.
Good luck to those that plan to go on the weekend. I think I am done for the year. Got my long term camp reserved at Strawberry starting in May.
(12-03-2020, 06:09 PM)brookie Wrote: I loaded and drove around to the marina probably to get warm in the running truck than really try fishing on that side. Only 1 truck/trailer there - kind of a zebra striped truck.
Yep.  That was Scott's truck.  Purty, ain't it.
(12-03-2020, 06:09 PM)brookie Wrote: Good luck to those that plan to go on the weekend. I think I am done for the year. Got my long term camp reserved at Strawberry starting in May.
I thought you were an icefisherman, can't believe you're done for the year?  But I understand when you can fish the summer as often as you'd like to, you probably get ready for a break this time of year... Sorry that whitefish trip didn't turn out very good.... I guess that's why I'm a little less nuts over the white fish trips these days, I've had so many trips end short because of wind, and cold splashing waves...  However, the memory of the good days still is driving me nuts that I'm not over there, but it's a little easier to stay working with the tales of Bear Lake gales... a sick boat helps me stay away too... Don't dare chance it on that lake... Later Jeff
I have been an ice fisherman in the past and may make a trip or two this year. Probably better to ask me a few days from now when I have had a little time to recuperate. Yesterday was cold enough to last me for a while - even so, I got out and that is what I needed so the whitefish trip was a success. I don't mind not bringing home a cooler full - less I have to take care of when I get home.
I guess the hardest part was going solo. I often like and go on solo trips - my choice. Now with COVID it is not so much my choice. My wife is high risk and terrified. She had open heart last fall and the Dr said she should get 15 yrs out of it. She doesn't want a minute less. She will let me go most anytime I want, but solo only so I don't bring anything home to her.
Understand what you're saying and for sure it's time to keep everyone safe... My in-laws are living with us as well, so I have to be really careful myself not drag anything home with me... Sure be nice when this thing blows over, it's been a real but kicker.... Crazy how it kind of makes a whole year disappear from lack of doing anything real memorable... Well best of luck staying safe and hope you warm up and can get out for a little solo ice action... Later Jeff
Thanks for the update Pat