Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Electric Downrigger Bounce
I recently added a brand new set of Cannon Magnum 5 ST electric downriggers to the top of the gunnel on my 19' Duckworth. They sit on top of Seahorse swivel bases, which seem to be very solid.

My concern is that the ball retrieve on these Cannons is FAST, so when they bring the 10lb ball up to the surface and stop, they bounce rather severely (in my opinion). I'm wondering if, with enough bounces over the years, I could be minus a downrigger. Not sure if this concern is founded in reality.

My gunnel appears to be the same .125" aluminum as the sides of the boat. It does not appear to be as thick as the .190" bottom of the boat. I have it mounted with 1/4" stainless bolts, and as large of washers as would fit.

Looking for advice/feedback. Am I getting wrapped around the axles about nothing? Just put a ball snubber on and call it a day?
I’ve run 15lb weights off my cannon’s for quite a few years in the salt on my Duck with no issues but I have the metal cannon bases and run a Scotty snubber on my cables due to the swell in the ocean which also helps keep the weights in the water and not bouncing off the hill when pulling them in with the weight retrievers. I used the same size bolts as you with large washers also
[Image: EFBDCA08-A036-4261-ADD5-F7750-D684-D39.jpg]

[Image: 32386-F2-B-2270-40-CB-9-B14-BA025311366-C.jpg]

I seen and heard stories of the plastic bases failing but mostly due to hanging a weight up and not having the “drag” set right on the downrigger
On my alumacraft boat I picked up some 1/4 inch thick aluminum plate. Cut it longer than the base of my scotty bases, drilled the hole pattern and installed them on the bottom side. Of course you cant go wider do to the gunnel, but my Scotty's don't even move.