Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A trip through SE Idaho
Hey my friends to the North. This is Cowboy,  of Cookie and the Cowboy, on the Utah forum, where I also play moderator. My bride, me, and my disabled son, Buckwheat,  are going to be wandering through SE Idaho next week on our way to West Yellowstone. Be pulling my RV. Any spots along the way that you can recommend for us for fishing or metal detecting or just " dont miss this spot to eat". We will just be bank tangling and camping and chilln. Oh ya, we will have the wookie too (German Shepard). Wont have a lot of time but maybe enough to wander a bit.
Remember: keep the lid on the worms, share your jerky, and stop by to say hi to Cookie and the Cowboy-Pirate crew
(05-10-2021, 09:33 PM)Cowboypirate Wrote: Hey my friends to the North. This is Cowboy,  of Cookie and the Cowboy, on the Utah forum, where I also play moderator. My bride, me, and my disabled son, Buckwheat,  are going to be wandering through SE Idaho next week on our way to West Yellowstone. Be pulling my RV. Any spots along the way that you can recommend for us for fishing or metal detecting or just " dont miss this spot to eat". We will just be bank tangling and camping and chilln. Oh ya, we will have the wookie too (German Shepard). Wont have a lot of time but maybe enough to wander a bit.

I'm not from Idaho but I have a couple of suggestions for ya if your traveling up I-15.  There is Deep Creek Reservoir which is just north and east of Malad City.  It's about 14 miles from the exit off I-15.  The other place would be Chesterfield Reservoir which is about 35 miles north and east off I-15 from McCammon.  Chesterfield is known for some outstanding rainbows and Deep Creek is smaller and less crowded but usually has some good fishing.

Sounds like a fun trip.  
Ririe reservoir east of Idaho Falls. The Blacktail side has a day use area perfect for bank fishing. The dam side has some nice camping areas. Portneuf Wellness Center in Pocatello has a big park and fishing pond.
There are lots of great spots in that part of the world, Ill suggest just a few. It is worth stopping in at Big Juds for lunch in Ashton Idaho for burgers and hand cut fries, before you get to West Yellowstone you should pull off the highway in Island Park to visit Johnny Sacks Cabin at Big Spring "Big Springs is the name of a first-magnitude spring located in Island Park, Idaho in Fremont County. The spring produces over 120 million gallons of water each day. It is a primary source of the North Fork or Henry's Fork of the Snake River. The other major source is the Henry's Lake outlet." There are giant pet trout that swim under the bridge near the springs. If the road and camp ground is open there is some great camping at the Upper Coffee pot campground on the Henry's Fork of the river near Island Park, farther on down that road is primitive camping at Lower Coffee Pot with some great hike in fishing to the river. An easy access fishing pond a few miles North of Idaho Falls is Roberts Gravel Pond, If your looking for tourist trap there is a drive through zoo called Bear World. There is also a community fishing pond on Sunny Side road just off the I15 in Idaho Falls.
Just a word about Bear World. They have a lot of bears and some wolves to view, BUT, you have to stay in your car, you must maintain 5 mph, no stopping allowed, and you can not roll down your windows to take pictures. They aggressively enforce these rules. I got ran down and yelled at several times because my passenger would roll down her window to take pictures even though there was no bears within 50 yards. I went there just to insure that my out of state visitors would see a bear on our Yellowstone trip. For that reason only, it was okay. They have a walk up bear cub area that was nice. Hope you have a great trip.
Good fishing to all.   Hue
Thanks all for the advice. We plan of wandering slowly up to Ririe, fishing along the way. Then staying a couple days at the campground in Ririe and wandering around that area a bit. Then up to west to hunt for Yogi. Apricate the tips. Cheers
Remember: keep the lid on the worms, share your jerky, and stop by to say hi to Cookie and the Cowboy-Pirate crew
(05-12-2021, 03:33 PM)Cowboypirate Wrote: Thanks all for the advice. We plan of wandering slowly up to Ririe, fishing along the way. Then staying a couple days at the campground in Ririe and wandering around that area a bit. Then up to west to hunt for Yogi. Apricate the tips. Cheers

If your going to be staying around  Ririe its worth wandering down into Swan Valley, you can fish the South fork below PaliSades dam or go up to several access points on the reservoir, we really like Calamity campground and launch as well as the back of Bear Creek, we always stop in for world famous square ice cream at the Rainy Creek store in Swan Valley. The Heise Hot Springs Resort are near Ririe, if you guys are into soaking. In Idaho Falls our favorite Pizza place is Papa Tom's a local gathering place for many a family occasion. Are you guys staying at the Twin Bridges campground I hear it pretty nice.
(05-12-2021, 03:33 PM)Cowboypirate Wrote: Thanks all for the advice. We plan of wandering slowly up to Ririe, fishing along the way. Then staying a couple days at the campground in Ririe and wandering around that area a bit. Then up to west to hunt for Yogi. Apricate the tips. Cheers

I seen you PM, just getting ready for another run at Willard in the morning. I will reach out tomorrow. Txs for the info
(05-13-2021, 01:32 AM)Cowboypirate Wrote:

I seen you PM, just getting ready for another run at Willard in the morning. I will reach out tomorrow. Txs for the info

https://idahohighcountry.org/item/twin-lakes/

http://twinlakescanalcompany.com/recreation.html

Here is some information for the Twin Lakes near Preston Idaho they are known for excellent pan fish and Bass fishing.