Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Little Dell - 05/16/2021
Wind was blowing steady from left to right when I launched the tube near the black mat at 6:15. Anticipating the typical calming pattern followed by switch in wind direction I kicked hard towards the inlet. Water temp was a perfect 51* F and starting hitting fish right away trolling a Midnight Fire Bugger trailed by a #12 Callibaetis Nymph. Long-story-short… the wind never switched or stopped! Battled a strong breeze all morning but well worth it… the fish turned onto chironomids around 8:30a and I don’t think I went 2-3 minutes without a hit for the next hour-plus. One of the best bites ever (for me) at Little Dell and would have been even better if not for the unrelenting wind blowing me out of position. Called it quits around 10:30a.
"We fish for pleasure... I for Mine, you for yours."  -James Leisenring
Thanks for the report.

It sounds like it would have been a perfect day if not for that four letter word. Angry
Man, i bet you burnt some calories trying to keep that tube pointed at the fish
Remember: keep the lid on the worms, share your jerky, and stop by to say hi to Cookie and the Cowboy-Pirate crew
(05-19-2021, 10:46 PM)Cowboypirate Wrote: Man, i bet you burnt some calories trying to keep that tube pointed at the fish

Yeah, you’re not kidding! Between Strawberry on Friday and then Little Dell I gained a belt notch on Monday. Nothing a couple pints of Benny & Jerry’s can’t get back by the weekend. Tongue
nice...I keep an anchor on by pontoon for just such windy occasions...get's exhausting fighting it non-stop otherwise. It's been the windiest year to date for us down here in Southern UT, makes fishing (and golf) difficult.
Fishing action for me at Little Dell has definitely picked up in the last couple of weeks with the warming water temps. Water levels have come up a bit but are still extremely low compared to same time frame in previous years. I also seem to be catching many more smaller cutts this year. Has anyone else noticed a change in size? I know from the stocking reports a large number of smaller fish were stocked in October 2019. Maybe this is the reason. Not sure how much natural production occurs and survives in this reservoir.
(05-21-2021, 01:58 PM)Riffle Wrote: Fishing action for me at Little Dell has definitely picked up in the last couple of weeks with the warming water temps. Water levels have come up a bit but are still extremely low compared to same time frame in previous years. I also seem to be catching many more smaller cutts this year. Has anyone else noticed a change in size? I know from the stocking reports a large number of smaller fish were stocked in October 2019. Maybe this is the reason. Not sure how much natural production occurs and survives in this reservoir.

I think the average Little Dell fish for me this year has been right around that 14-15 inch range with a handful of 17 inchers thrown in. Honestly, I have never landed any truly large Cutthroats here… maybe topping out in the 18-19 inch range. All the 20-plus fish I have seen/landed have been Rainbows.

In years of good flows the Cutts pack into the feeder stream 1st week of June, but never saw any really large fish there either. The massive fluctuations in water levels are not conducive to growing large fish. It’s a shame, because the bottom content is absolutely perfect for Chironomids, but the massive drawdowns greatly limit their numbers.
(05-21-2021, 05:33 PM)Joe_Dizzy Wrote:
(05-21-2021, 01:58 PM)Riffle Wrote: Fishing action for me at Little Dell has definitely picked up in the last couple of weeks with the warming water temps. Water levels have come up a bit but are still extremely low compared to same time frame in previous years. I also seem to be catching many more smaller cutts this year. Has anyone else noticed a change in size? I know from the stocking reports a large number of smaller fish were stocked in October 2019. Maybe this is the reason. Not sure how much natural production occurs and survives in this reservoir.

I think the average Little Dell fish for me this year has been right around that 14-15 inch range with a handful of 17 inchers thrown in. Honestly, I have never landed any truly large Cutthroats here… maybe topping out in the 18-19 inch range. All the 20-plus fish I have seen/landed have been Rainbows.

In years of good flows the Cutts pack into the feeder stream 1st week of June, but never saw any really large fish there either. The massive fluctuations in water levels are not conducive to growing large fish. It’s a shame, because the bottom content is absolutely perfect for Chironomids, but the massive drawdowns greatly limit their numbers.

Well, what a difference a week makes... Big Grin

Went back to Little Dell yesterday from 6:20-10:00. Water temp was 52* F and mostly calm conditions. Chironomids keyed the activity from 8:15-9:45 and I put a dozen and a half in the net with some pushing 20 inches! Was fishing the muck flats in about 10-12 feet of water. No Callibaetis showing yet but won't be far off. Some of the fish were dressed to spawn. A few pics attached.
[Image: 01-CUTT.jpg] [Image: 02-Lil-Dell.jpg] [Image: 03-CUTT.jpg] [Image: 04-CUTT.jpg] [Image: 05-CUTT.jpg] [Image: 06-CUTT.jpg] [Image: 07-CUTT.jpg] [Image: 08-CUTT.jpg]
(05-23-2021, 12:49 PM)Joe_Dizzy Wrote:
(05-21-2021, 05:33 PM)Joe_Dizzy Wrote:

Well, what a difference a week makes... Big Grin

Went back to Little Dell yesterday from 6:20-10:00. Water temp was 52* F and mostly calm conditions. Chironomids keyed the activity from 8:15-9:45 and I put a dozen and a half in the net with some pushing 20 inches! Was fishing the muck flats in about 10-12 feet of water. No Callibaetis showing yet but won't be far off. Some of the fish were dressed to spawn. A few pics attached.
[Image: 01-CUTT.jpg] [Image: 02-Lil-Dell.jpg] [Image: 03-CUTT.jpg] [Image: 04-CUTT.jpg] [Image: 05-CUTT.jpg] [Image: 06-CUTT.jpg] [Image: 07-CUTT.jpg] [Image: 08-CUTT.jpg]

Nice fish - amazing spawning colors! I love that place...