Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Strawberry - 05/30/2021
Fished Bryants Fork area on Sunday, 6:00-12:30 from the tube. Water temp was 45* F at dawn but climbed to 49* F by quitting time. Early morning bite was off a bit, but it’s just around the corner. Things heated up by 7:30a and non-stop action on chironomids from 8:30-10:00. Fish were feeding close to the surface the rest of the morning. Creeping along with a #12 Callibaetis Nymph and a Tequila Booby on point provided steady action until I left. Only landed 1 Rainbow this week, but TWO (2) SUCKERS!?!? One rubber mouth on a Purple Showgirl and the other on a chironomid… both were hard fighting hogs that had me completely fooled. Tons of chironomid shucks on the water by 11:00a... various sizes. Also saw a few Callibaetis nymphs bobbing to the surface late morning.

Interesting note: I throat-pumped the first Cutty on the chironomid and the sample contained a LOT of green sparkle glitter (presumably from a glob of Power Bait that got sucked off the surface).
"We fish for pleasure... I for Mine, you for yours."  -James Leisenring
Thanks for the report, sounds like a fun trip.  Suckers, you never know what you might pull out of Strawberry.  I caught a tiger trout over there a couple of years back that took me by surprise.

I'm waiting for the road crew to finish over Sheep Creek so I can get back there to fish.
Its funny how a few degrees of water temp will help your toes out when bouncing around in a tube. Of course when the fish turn on, who thinks about their toes?
Remember: keep the lid on the worms, share your jerky, and stop by to say hi to Cookie and the Cowboy-Pirate crew