Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Salmon fly hatch started down south
I was fishing the Pecos River (New Mexico) yesterday and I got an unexpected surprise. The salmon fly hatch was getting started mid afternoon. I wish I could tell you the fishing was great but the Pecos is a crappy little stream/creek compared to most of the fishing in Utah. The browns in NM can stunt almost like brookies in Utah and the rest are planter 9-10 inch rainbows who have no clue what a salmon fly is. Fishing was the usual fair at about 3 fish an hour. Still a nice day to be out on the water. Anyways the hatch will be moving North very quickly. Hopefully the thick salmon fly hatches will be coming off on Utah County streams in the next week. I'll be there starting Sunday for 4 days. I'll probable hit a few lakes and the Upper Provo off of Mirror Lake Highway earlier in the day. I don't think I've ever seen hatches of salmon flies before 2-3 pm when most anglers are heading home. Now don't blame me if you don't find the hatch. While the salmon fly hatch is my favorite to fish it also the most fickle hatch of all.
[Image: IMG-0276.jpg]
Man how I love the Salmon Fly hatch on the Snake River!
[Image: 64-BC73-C1-5176-4492-BBC6-18-CCAF1-BE441.jpg]

[Image: C2-F4-D5-E0-DC3-F-4-B07-91-AF-5-B459-C952655.jpg]
Well I found the salmon fly hatch this afternoon. Hatch was okay but not real thick. Unfortunately the fishing was a bit slow. Never caught more than a handful an hour and the fish were all between 10-15 inch browns.  Low water and bright sun is never in your favor when fishing Diamond Fork- especially with dries. Half were caught on nymphs and half with dries.
I think I’ll go try the off of Mirror Lake Highway tomorrow.

[Image: 8-E0-F3-EB8-D681-4-FB1-8-E18-93298-BE0-A39-F.jpg]