Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Grayling
After nearly getting skunked fishing Lost, I went for a hike a few miles away. Ran into hundreds of grayling in a small creek. Now I don’t target grayling much as they fight like SMB in stillwater. However average grayling appeared about a foot long so I went back to the car and broke out the 1 wt rod. I caught 5 or 6 in about an hour. All were 11-15 inches long. I think I caught my biggest grayling outside of Alaska today. Never did hit my intended water this afternoon. After all that hiking and fishing I was beat despite it only being in the low 60s at 10,000 feet.
Oh well there’s always tomorrow.
[Image: F95832-A0-6637-4-E26-AD5-A-D450-C965385-D.jpg]

[Image: F4-EAE4-F5-FD1-C-400-D-BEFD-35-AFA34-E01-A8.jpg]
I love chasing the finned wonders. One of my favorite fish. The spot i love to goto use to have some really big ones, but it has winter killed a few times and just small stuff now. Still a fun adventure to catch them in Utah.
Remember: keep the lid on the worms, share your jerky, and stop by to say hi to Cookie and the Cowboy-Pirate crew
15 inches is a very respectable grayling in Utah. Nice job!
Very nice grayling, only a few places that have any that big and they're mountain lakes in Montana.
Nice looking Grayling. The largest Grayling I have caught were also in Alaska.
love me some grayling...been too long since I've fished for them. Need to get back up into the Uintas.
(06-10-2021, 07:32 PM)richyd4u Wrote: love me some grayling...been too long since I've fished for them. Need to get back up into the Uintas.

I didn’t plan to fish for grayling but I took the opportunity to do so when it arose. It turned out to be the highlight of my 3 days of fishing. That had more to do with the generally poor stream fishing for trout. Usually early June is my best trout fishing in streams in Northern Utah until fall. Up on top of the Boulders there are also grayling. Now I’m watching some stream flows in Wyoming. Hopefully in the next few weeks a trip up there will work out.
"After all that hiking and fishing I was beat despite it only being in the low 60s at 10,000 feet."

Air is getting pretty thin up that high.
(06-17-2021, 07:15 PM)Anglinarcher Wrote: "After all that hiking and fishing I was beat despite it only being in the low 60s at 10,000 feet."

Air is getting pretty thin up that high.

LOL, it don't take much hiking to get tired at that elevation.