Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Use what color?
Color in my opinion will always be a mystery as far as which colors to choose, when and where to use them and depending on which lure I cast. The Color-C-Lector didn't do much for me though I'm sure it made a bunch of money for the inventor of the unit as wel as sales of the recommended unnatural colored lures sold. 

Fish have senses that are finely tuned to motion detection - ALL motion and TYPES of motion -  from the largest surface lure (Zara Spook) to the tiniest fluttering tail of a 1.5" plastic grub. The lateral line and ear of fish detect moving objects before they even visualize them so I've read.

To the naked eye color does a few things. First, it provides an outline to the body & tail of a lure. Lure action depends on both those two things along with angler imparted action and speed whatever the depth and time of day. Second, even a blind bass can attack prey based on detected vibrations. The sense of smell plays little or no part for bass but catfish for sure.

I've posted examples of different lure shapes and sizes that exhibit different lure actions. On many days, I've found that different shapes in different colors catch panfish and bass as well as the occasional pickerel and catfish. Color is least in importance (though once I catch fish on a few, I usually carry them - just to be safe - and because of the confidence it gives me using specific lures. Without confidence, no lure can do well consistently.

My advice would be to try different colors of lures that fish are biting that day. In one example I cast 8 or more colored spinnerbaits and caught smallmouth bass on all of them. Grubs are also perfect examples of the color variety one can use to catch fish after fish when schools are located or location patterns are found.