Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Kids tournament at East Canyon
I was just watching Adam Eakle on KSL. I guess there was a tournament there recently and there will be another one on May 15. Did any of you take your kids to the first one?
(04-25-2021, 01:25 AM)wiperhunter2 Wrote: I was just watching Adam Eakle on KSL. I guess there was a tournament there recently and there will be another one on May 15. Did any of you take your kids to the first one?
Yeah, I took my 2 boys up. We rented a yurt for Friday night and invited grandpa up for some fishing and campfire time. We went out to fish Friday evening and found a boat in distress out on the south end. We ended up towing them back to the ramp. The boys were bummed that we didn’t get to fish much, but I explained to them that’s what we had to do. Eventually we will need help sometime, and it’s your responsibility as a boater to look out for others. I told the boys the fish gods would look out for them. 5 minutes into the tournament, Cameron hooked and landed the biggest fish of the tournament at 19.25”. I never touched a rod the entire day!  The boys set downriggers, lead core and even tied their own lines. Cam won a bunch of gear and even got some screen time on the Outdoors Show. It’s nice to have a Tournament dedicated to kids only. Thumbs up to the DWR, East Canyon and the Manager Chris Haromoto.

Attached Files Image(s)

That is a great post. Lessons taught. Fun had. And prizes to boot. And best of all that Smile on a young man's face. Thanks for sharing
Remember: keep the lid on the worms, share your jerky, and stop by to say hi to Cookie and the Cowboy-Pirate crew
(04-26-2021, 04:41 AM)MACMAN Wrote:
(04-25-2021, 01:25 AM)wiperhunter2 Wrote: I was just watching Adam Eakle on KSL. I guess there was a tournament there recently and there will be another one on May 15. Did any of you take your kids to the first one?
Yeah, I took my 2 boys up. We rented a yurt for Friday night and invited grandpa up for some fishing and campfire time. We went out to fish Friday evening and found a boat in distress out on the south end. We ended up towing them back to the ramp. The boys were bummed that we didn’t get to fish much, but I explained to them that’s what we had to do. Eventually we will need help sometime, and it’s your responsibility as a boater to look out for others. I told the boys the fish gods would look out for them. 5 minutes into the tournament, Cameron hooked and landed the biggest fish of the tournament at 19.25”. I never touched a rod the entire day!  The boys set downriggers, lead core and even tied their own lines. Cam won a bunch of gear and even got some screen time on the Outdoors Show. It’s nice to have a Tournament dedicated to kids only. Thumbs up to the DWR, East Canyon and the Manager Chris Haromoto.
Awesome experience! What gear did your boy win? Glad you were able to help out that boat!
(04-26-2021, 04:41 AM)MACMAN Wrote:
I thought that looked like you son, congrats to Cameron on the win. Sounds like a good life lesson for your boys on helping out that boat in distress. You have to be a proud Dad that they can run all the gear by themselves. 
Girls get a chance on the next tournament, you going to be there for that one Macman?
With the rescue mission the reward comes. Great job guys, its your time to stand tall.  Wink
[Image: P3100003.jpg]
Harrisville UT
2000 7.3L F250 Superduty  '07 Columbia 2018 Fisherman XL Raymarine Element 9HV 4 Electric Walker Downriggers Uniden Solara VHF
(04-26-2021, 01:07 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote: I thought that looked like you son, congrats to Cameron on the win. Sounds like a good life lesson for your boys on helping out that boat in distress. You have to be a proud Dad that they can run all the gear by themselves. 
Girls get a chance on the next tournament, you going to be there for that one Macman?
That’s my younger son. I haven’t posted any pics of him. I’m still working on him to pick up the love of fishing like his older brother Cole. Cole is the fishing legend. Man he’s got a golden touch with the rod and reel. They do look a like tho. It does make you feel like you’ve accomplished something good when you watch a 13 and 10 year old put out a trolling set including 2 downriggers, all by themselves. I think it took me into my 30’s to figure out riggers and releases. Cameron came away with a rod and reel combo, tackle box and $30 in gear to put in it, a cabelas hat and a night stay in a yurt- a pretty good haul, but it’s more about the experience. We will not be doing the women’s tournament. My wife thinks us fishing is her break from the kids and I think I’ll keep it that way!!
I was fishing with a fellow at Utah lake at Bird Island. A young man in a canoe rowed over and said there was a man that couldn t get his boat started and wanted too know if someone could come tow him in. The fellow that I was fishing with wasnt interested in having anything too do with it. We fished about half hour later and I talked him into going over and seeing if there was anything we could do. He did and the man was in the water trying too pull his boat back Lincoln Beach it was a 24 foot. We towed him in and when I went to start the truck I had left the lights on and the battery was dead ,guess who gave us a jump and got our truck going ?????? Instant pay back Your boys learned alot more than just how to fish Congrats DAD.
(04-26-2021, 11:47 PM)Catdaddygarlic Wrote: I was fishing with a fellow at Utah lake at Bird Island. A young man in a canoe rowed over and said there was a man that couldn t get his boat started and wanted too know if someone could come tow him in. The fellow that I was fishing with wasnt interested in having anything too do with it.  We fished about half hour later and I talked him into going over and seeing if there was anything we could do. He did and the man was in the water trying too pull his boat back Lincoln Beach it was a 24 foot. We towed him in and when I went to start the truck  I had left the lights on and the battery was dead ,guess who gave us a jump and got our truck going ??????  Instant pay back  Your boys learned alot more than just how to fish Congrats DAD.
Yup, Karma is ALWAYS a good thing- I don’t always look for someone in need of help, but I would never leave knowing I should have helped.  It all comes back, one way or another.
(04-26-2021, 11:24 PM)MACMAN Wrote:
(04-26-2021, 01:07 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote: I thought that looked like you son, congrats to Cameron on the win. Sounds like a good life lesson for your boys on helping out that boat in distress. You have to be a proud Dad that they can run all the gear by themselves. 
That’s my younger son. I haven’t posted any pics of him.
I could be wrong but I thought he was standing by Cole in the video on KSL Outdoors.
(04-27-2021, 01:37 AM)wiperhunter2 Wrote:
(04-26-2021, 11:24 PM)MACMAN Wrote:
That’s my younger son. I haven’t posted any pics of him.
I could be wrong but I thought he was standing by Cole in the video on KSL Outdoors.
No- you are correct, I misunderstood. Nice eye, I’m impressed you recognized him. That’s pretty cool, thank you.