Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Bubbleup Beat-Em-Up 6-29-21
Been feelin' the need for some rough and tumble hand-to-fin combat.  Figured some Utah Lake kitties might fill the bill.  So I launched this morning at Lindon Harbor.  Launch time about 6:30.  Air temp 69.  Water temp 72 and only warming to about 73 by noon departure.  A low level choppy breeze blew almost all morning and that kept the temp down.  Water level in the harbor ranged from about 2.5 to 3'.  Getting marginal for larger boats.  But my float tube made it in and out just fine, thank you.

Been some wind and the water looked kinda murky.  Didn't have much hope for anything besides maybe a few kitties.  But headed for the bubbleup to give it a try anyway.  Reached the end buoys and started pitching my standard 2 tube jig rig.  First cast got smacked almost as soon as it hit the water.  Yeee haww.  The whities were at home and ready to play.

For the next hour and a half I did not make many casts that weren't attacked by the whities.  Seemed like they were hanging out right on top of the pipe...or close by it.  When I lit amongst em it was instant munch.  And often after one fish grabbed one of the jigs another would climb on to the trailing one.  Got multiple doubles.  When the fish moved up or down the pipeline I might have to make a few casts to find them again.  But when I did it was game on.  They seemed to be pretty thick all up and down the pipeline between the last three buoys.  The only downer was a couple of bullheads that tried to crash the party...and chewed the plastic off the jig heads.  I guesstimate that I probably caught close to 100 white bass.  Fun, fun on my light rod and 6# line.  I threw back a lot more than I kept.  I figured I had kept around 20 but it turned out to be closer to 30.  Only a couple were under about 10 inches and many were 11 to 11.5 inches.  No actual footlongs but they all punched above their weight.

The building breeze died down enough to get me to put up the wimpy rod and rig for kitties again.  Fished one rod with a big chub minnows fly-lined (no weight).  Had a flig and a piece of white bass on the other rod.  Both rods got lots of attention but I think the chubs got more and bigger.  All except for the last cat of the day...on a fire tiger flig.  Fought long and heavy...taking out drag even after several minutes of battle.  I was thinking over 30" for the contest but was demazed when that feisty mama cat only stretched to 25".  Still, tugs is drugs.  Didn't keep actual count but probably caught about a dozen cats.  Smallest was a 2-footer.  Biggest was a hair over 26".

Only saw a couple of boats out today, and they didn't seem to be fishing.  Saw a couple of bank tanglers inside the harbor when I got there at daybreak.  They were soaking bait below a bobber in the shallow water...and had caught some bullheads and one channel cat.
Thanks for the report.
You being a fisherman of many species what is your preferred method of preparing white bass for the dinner table?
(06-30-2021, 01:33 AM)Farmboat Wrote: Thanks for the report.
You being a fisherman of many species what is your preferred method of preparing white bass for the dinner table?
White bass aren't big, but anything over about 9-10 inches will give up a worthwhile fillet.  So I fillet them all.  And there is usually a snowstorm of scales to deal with afterwards so choose your filleting spot carefully (outside?).  Their bony structure is simple and they fillet and skin easily.  Their flesh is white and firm and lends itself well to almost any recipe for small fillets.

Most anglers just batter and fry white bass fillets.  And they are good in beer batter, tempura or whatever.  I especially like them in the Panko recipe attached.  But I also cook them lots of other ways.  Here are a few of my fave recipes.

Attached Files
.pdf   GARLIC BUTTER SAUTE'.pdf (Size: 1.28 MB / Downloads: 10)
.pdf   PANKO PERCH.pdf (Size: 599.42 KB / Downloads: 18)
.pdf   PIG OUT CHOWDER.pdf (Size: 1.79 MB / Downloads: 9)
.pdf   SHRIMP-RICE DRESSING.pdf (Size: 308.74 KB / Downloads: 8)
.pdf   SURF N SURF.pdf (Size: 1.05 MB / Downloads: 11)
Very nice trip Pat, sounded like one of those great days on the pond... Thanks for the report... Guess I need to change my afternoon trips to the morning since the weather has changed since I was last fishing.... In the cool of spring I find the afternoon to evening the best for the cats, but last week when I tried that time frame it was too hot and so I only got a few smallies and bullheads. I'll have to try a nice morning trip next time I find a free minute or two... One of these days I need to try some of your other recipes, I sure love the pig out chowder, it's one of my favorites.. Looking like we'll be running out of water for the farm soon, so I might get freed up from farm work faster than I want to be this year.. Looks like my second crop hay will be my last on most of the farm, but they think we'll get about 25% of our regular water through July, so I might get a couple acres of hay for a third crop, hopefully... I doubt we'll see any forth crop this year... Never seen things so dry up this way... Later Jeff
When things get stressful think I'll go fish'en and worry about it tomorrow!
(06-30-2021, 01:52 PM)SkunkedAgain Wrote: Very nice trip Pat, sounded like one of those great days on the pond... Thanks for the report... Guess I need to change my afternoon trips to the morning since the weather has changed since I was last fishing.... In the cool of spring I find the afternoon to evening the best for the cats, but last week when I tried that time frame it was too hot and so I only got a few smallies and bullheads.  I'll have to try a nice morning trip next time I find a free minute or two... One of these days I need to try some of your other recipes, I sure love the pig out chowder, it's one of my favorites..  Looking like we'll be running out of water for the farm soon, so I might get freed up from farm work faster than I want to be this year.. Looks like my second crop hay will be my last on most of the farm, but they think we'll get about 25% of our regular water through July, so I might get a couple acres of hay for a third crop, hopefully... I doubt we'll see any forth crop this year... Never seen things so dry up this way... Later Jeff
Coming from a large Idaho family that included several full time farmers I understand and sympathize with your water issues.  Seems like there are new challenges every year to keep hard-working farmers from getting a good return on their investments of time and money.  And even when it is more of a "sideline" business it can still demand a lot more of your time and attention than you had originally planned.  I feel your pain.

As you know, I am an early morning type angler...throughout the year.  Most of the year I launch early because on most waters that is when wind conditions are usually the calmest.  Wind and float tubes do not go together well.  But during the summer the added bonus is getting your fishing in before you are overcome with heat.  When we lived in Arizona we usually launched right at daybreak and it was not unusual to be fishing in 100 degree temps with sweat running down our faces and arms before 10 in the morning.  That's "endurance" fishing...not just fishing for fun.  Not as bad here in Utah, but bad enough.  Cooler is better.
I like the cool of mornings for another reason, less pleasure boaters... they can sleep in all they want, sure makes for a more pleasant fishing experience... Seems like by 10:00 the squad is in full force so it's time for me to go home, but that's okay I don't like to roast too much... Later Jeff
When things get stressful think I'll go fish'en and worry about it tomorrow!
"Tugs is Drugs" should be a T-Shirt
Remember: keep the lid on the worms, share your jerky, and stop by to say hi to Cookie and the Cowboy-Pirate crew
(06-30-2021, 03:22 PM)Cowboypirate Wrote: "Tugs is Drugs" should be a T-Shirt
There are already quite a few T shirts with a similar saying:

I am always 2 years to late on my millions maker
Remember: keep the lid on the worms, share your jerky, and stop by to say hi to Cookie and the Cowboy-Pirate crew
(06-30-2021, 05:15 PM)Cowboypirate Wrote: I am always 2 years to late on my millions maker

You could always work on something to un-slice bread.  That could be the greatest invention since...
Thanks for the recipes Tube Dude. I’m going to try the Panko crumbs and egg wash next time I cook up some fillets.
Thank you for the great recipes Pat, much appreciated. My wife and I are looking forward to trying all of them as our fishing skills (or lack of) provide the main ingredient.
(07-01-2021, 03:23 AM)Farmboat Wrote: Thank you for the great recipes Pat, much appreciated. My wife and I are looking forward to trying all of them as our fishing skills (or lack of) provide the main ingredient.
You're welcome.  Hope you get plenty of "fixin's" and that you enjoy the results.

Almost forgot to include one of my new fave recipes..."Fish Wings".  Works with any fried fish.  Just fry up up and then coat them in your favorite wing sauce...like Buffalo chicken wings.  See attached recipe.

Attached Files
.pdf   FISH WINGS.pdf (Size: 1.3 MB / Downloads: 4)
Kitty wings is a favorite closely followed by Kittie Curry.

https://www.theendlessmeal.com/thai-fish-curry/
Definatly two more recipes to add to our list of must try dishes.
Thanks again to both of you for the detailed and delicious options.