Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Trailer Trouble
I have a bad spindle on my EZ loader trailer, it is welded and can not be replaced my only option is to replace the entire axle which are not only expensive but also hard to find and potentially a couple month lead time. I spoke with a couple places that sell and fabricate axles they couldn't help me. I am hoping that someone out there has a trailer that will work or I can salvage axles off of. I am looking for EZ Loader torsion axles that are 89" between hub faces. the easiest way to measure is from the center of the tires across the frame. here's hoping I can get my boat back on the water this season.
Did you call the EZ Loader in Spokane WA.  It has been a few years ago but I got a replacement axle, torsion, with oil hubs instead of grease, for about $500.  Now I lived there so three was no shipping, but it might be worth checking it out.

I really like the EZ Loader torsion axle myself.
Here's a KSL Ad - might be worth a call https://classifieds.ksl.com/listing/56416222

Also Metal Craft Trailer by I15 and 27th in SLC sells parts 801 487-7586
Good Luck
(07-01-2021, 03:45 AM)Lundman Wrote: Here's a KSL Ad - might be worth a call https://classifieds.ksl.com/listing/56416222

Also Metal Craft Trailer by I15 and 27th in SLC sells parts 801 487-7586
Good Luck

I talked to both the places advertising on KSL they would just order one from EZ loader as they don’t fabricate boat axels with a drop in the middle and EZ loader is out of stock 6-8 weeks or more out.

(07-01-2021, 03:07 AM)Anglinarcher Wrote: Did you call the EZ Loader in Spokane WA.  It has been a few years ago but I got a replacement axle, torsion, with oil hubs instead of grease, for about $500.  Now I lived there so three was no shipping, but it might be worth checking it out.

I really like the EZ Loader torsion axle myself.

$650 for just the axle + $370 for shipping and a couple months lead time.
I just looked on KSL "water sports", put in key words "boat trailer" . There some axels and even complete trailers. 

Good luck,
(07-01-2021, 02:55 AM)obifishkenobi Wrote: I have a bad spindle on my EZ loader trailer, it is welded and can not be replaced my only option is to replace the entire axle which are not only expensive but also hard to find and potentially a couple month lead time. I spoke with a couple places that sell and fabricate axles they couldn't help me. I am hoping that someone out there has a trailer that will work or I can salvage axles off of. I am looking for EZ Loader torsion axles that are 89" between hub faces. the easiest way to measure is from the center of the tires across the frame. here's hoping I can get my boat back on the water this season.
Bubba, I feel your pain.  I had a similar experience last fall with the torsion axle on my duck boat trailer - blew a bearing and took out the spindle.  I had to wait 2 months for the replacement axle and my duck season ended in mid-November.  I looked for a shop that could replace the spindle; doesn't exist in Utah that I could find.  I just bit the bullet and ordered the new axle from TJ Trailer in Ogden ($480).  Got it in January and will install it in September.  Finding a used torsion axle of the correct dimension’s will be akin to finding the needle in a haystack; good luck.  And without firsthand knowledge of how the used axle was maintained makes buying one a crap shoot; I wouldn't recommend it.  But it's your money and your choice.  Best of luck in your quest.   Smile
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I'm 81 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms."
Seems like a competent welder should be able to cut off the old spindle and weld on a new one.
Single main, no kicker. Wink
Try this place
https://www.easternmarine.com/?msclkid=8...0%20%C2%AE
[Image: P3100003.jpg]
Harrisville UT
2000 7.3L F250 Superduty  '07 Columbia 2018 Fisherman XL Raymarine Element 9HV 4 Electric Walker Downriggers Uniden Solara VHF
Have you tried TJ trailers in ogden? They have always been excellent to work with and if they don't have it they will for sure be able to point you
in the right direction.
(07-01-2021, 01:42 PM)Paddler Wrote: Seems like a competent welder should be able to cut off the old spindle and weld on a new one.

Very risky.  IF you know what steel was used in the axle (torsion axles are different in design and concept from leaf spring axles), IF the welder knew what filler material to use, IF the welder knew to do a full penetration weld, IF the welder knew to use pre and post heating, IF the welder knew to re temper the entire axle and had the equipment to heat, normalize, reheat and quench, temper, .........

A lot if IFs involved to trust a boat with, running down the street at 70 MPH, with innocent people following.

I personally would not take the risk.
https://www.etrailer.com/dept-pg-Trailer_Axles.aspx
Same problem I had a few months ago on my ranger trail. I ended up with a straight continental axle even though the other was a V bend. It still worked out fine. There are lots of shops down here in Florida that have axles in stock, problem you’ll have are shipping costs. Sorry, that sucks.
sent you an e-mail.. got my brother looking for you..works at walton trailers, been there 30 years.
(07-01-2021, 11:23 PM)deafman Wrote: sent you an e-mail.. got my brother  looking for you..works at walton trailers, been there 30 years.

Have your brother give me a call I’d like to chat with him I sent my phone number in a response to your message thanks
(07-01-2021, 02:55 AM)obifishkenobi Wrote: I have a bad spindle on my EZ loader trailer, it is welded and can not be replaced my only option is to replace the entire axle which are not only expensive but also hard to find and potentially a couple month lead time. I spoke with a couple places that sell and fabricate axles they couldn't help me. I am hoping that someone out there has a trailer that will work or I can salvage axles off of. I am looking for EZ Loader torsion axles that are 89" between hub faces. the easiest way to measure is from the center of the tires across the frame. here's hoping I can get my boat back on the water this season.

My brother selling older ez loader trailer as i speak, 18ft tandem axles trailer.
(07-02-2021, 06:52 AM)otigar Wrote:

My brother selling older ez loader trailer as i speak, 18ft tandem axles trailer.

Can you get me his contact info and maybe some pictures thanks
I have a 1999 EZ Loader, tandem axle for a Viper Coral 202. The rear one had the ubolts come loose one one side. Long story short. Put a new axle on it, make her road worthy and safe and ordered another trailer. I'm hoping to have it by September. I don't know what I'm going to do with the current trailer so lmk if I can help you out.
(07-02-2021, 09:28 PM)fsh4fun05 Wrote: I have a 1999 EZ Loader, tandem axle for a Viper Coral 202. The rear one had the ubolts come loose one one side. Long story short. Put a new axle on it, make her road worthy and safe and ordered another trailer. I'm hoping to have it by September. I don't know what I'm going to do with the current trailer so lmk if I can help you out.
Does your trailer have tornsion axle’s 89” inches measured from center of tire to center of tire across the frame 72” out side measurements on the mounting brackets. I may want to purchase your trailer.

(07-02-2021, 06:52 AM)otigar Wrote:

Can you get me his contact info and maybe some pictures thanks
Don’t trust a center of tire to center of tire measurement, the wheels may have offsets built in to them.
Only trust a hub face to hub face measurement when trying to find a replacement axle.
Agreed