Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Trailer Trouble
(07-04-2021, 06:27 PM)MrShane Wrote: Don’t trust a center of tire to center of tire measurement, the wheels may have offsets built in to them.
Only trust a hub face to hub face measurement when trying to find a replacement axle.

I agree, I just suggested the tire method because it’s in the ball park and easier for people to measure,  if it is close to 89” I would know it was worth investing further. After talking to someone about my spindle and showing it to them  I’m going to attempt to repair the threads and put it  back together to run until I can do a more permanent fix to keep me running this summer. My spindle nut is 13/16 with 20 TPI I’m going to cut new 20mm with a 1.5 thread pitch and get a matching castle nut.
(07-04-2021, 08:26 PM)obifishkenobi Wrote:
(07-04-2021, 06:27 PM)MrShane Wrote: Don’t trust a center of tire to center of tire measurement, the wheels may have offsets built in to them.
Only trust a hub face to hub face measurement when trying to find a replacement axle.

I agree, I just suggested the tire method because it’s in the ball park and easier for people to measure,  if it is close to 89” I would know it was worth investing further. After talking to someone about my spindle and showing it to them  I’m going to attempt to repair the threads and put it  back together to run until I can do a more permanent fix to keep me running this summer. My spindle nut is 13/16 with 20 TPI I’m going to cut new 20mm with a 1.5 thread pitch and get a matching castle nut.

That seem quite workable.
(07-04-2021, 08:26 PM)obifishkenobi Wrote:

If the spindle is still in good shape and the bearing surfaces are OK you should be able to cut new threads and just keep using the axel.